Securame

Dahua alarm inputs - how to connect 220V?

I am seting up a Dahua 0404LF-AS with two alarm inputs for triggering push alerts and email messages.

On Alarm1 input I have connected a PIR sensor, no problem here. When the PIR detects motion detection it warns the DVR, which then triggers a given action.

On Alarm2, I want to connect a door bell that currently works at 220v. This way when someone rings the bell, I make the DVR send an email with a screenshot of the door camera. Question is, how can I connect this 220v to an alarm input? I am quite sure that inputing 220v on an alarm input is not a good idea, but how about 12v? Or what do I need to connect those 220v to an alarm input?

Thanks!

I am seting up a Dahua 0404LF-AS with two alarm inputs for triggering push alerts and email messages.

On Alarm1 input I have connected a PIR sensor, no problem here. When the PIR detects motion detection it warns the DVR, which then triggers a given action.

On Alarm2, I want to connect a door bell that currently works at 220v. This way when someone rings the bell, I make the DVR send an email with a screenshot of the door camera. Question is, how can I connect this 220v to an alarm input? I am quite sure that inputing 220v on an alarm input is not a good idea, but how about 12v? Or what do I need to connect those 220v to an alarm input?

Thanks!

Your door bell button do not have 220 Volts

Google how door bell works

here is example for you

Doorbell.jpg.3bddef08a223c467dda44e42def14fd6.jpg

Sorry, I am not native english so I did not explain myself right. Maybe I should have said my "chime", bell... and it surely does work with 220v, I did test it to make sure. And there is no "back door button", just one outside that will make the bell ring inside.

So, when someone pushes the button outside the door, the bell inside gets 220v and it rings. Here is picture.

214745_1.jpg

Sorry, I am not native english so I did not explain myself right. Maybe I should have said my "chime", bell... and it surely does work with 220v, I did test it to make sure. And there is no "back door button", just one outside that will make the bell ring inside.

So, when someone pushes the button outside the door, the bell inside gets 220v and it rings. Here is picture.

Hmm, plz measure voltage at door bell button

I still think u have transformer in house

Also u have tell us if your DVR Alarm input "need" short, ground or ???? to trigger

Hmm, plz measure voltage at door bell button

I still think u have transformer in house

Also u have tell us if your DVR Alarm input "need" short, ground or ???? to trigger

At the front door button? I will try to do so tonight, I do not have the tester with me. But on the chime/bell which is where I will be conecting myself, I have 220v. But if I can input 12v on the Dahua alarm input, that would be no problem, I could just connect a 220v->12v power supply on the chime, and from there to the alarm input.

I just did not want to try that without being sure that conecting 12v to an alarm input is safe.

as ak357 has stated you should have a transformer . looking at your pic it has a CE mark so it will not have 220v at push button. if it does for some reason either replace the whole unit or just dont connect as being a door bell unit it does not fall under regulations.

i do think if you remove bell striker box you will find 220v to 5v transformer.

most push buttons are N/O and volt free .... except push buttons with ilumination which are only 3-5v which your dvr can have going though alarm inputs.

214777_1.jpg

as ak357 has stated you should have a transformer . looking at your pic it has a CE mark so it will not have 220v at push button. if it does for some reason either replace the whole unit or just dont connect as being a door bell unit it does not fall under regulations.

i do think if you remove bell striker box you will find 220v to 5v transformer.

most push buttons are N/O and volt free .... except push buttons with ilumination which are only 3-5v which your dvr can have going though alarm inputs.

Ok, I will take my tester with me today so I can check it again at home, and see what is under the CE plastic cover. Thanks!

So it is 220v, and the chime seems to be just some electromagnet that will make a metal part inside hit the metals on top and bottom. What is sure is that I have 220v, so the question stands, how could I connect a 220v input to a DVR alarm input? Should I just convert it to 12v and input those 12v, or will I fry the DVR?

Thanks!

Edit: I could probably connect it like tomcctv says, using the button on the outside, but geting my cable there would be a pain in the ass. Not impossible, but something I would rather not do.

214796_1.jpg

214796_2.jpg

214796_3.jpg

214796_4.jpg

214796_5.jpg

hi. i would change the whole doorbell. as far as i can see 220/240v doorbells were available back in the 50s / 60s.

if you are getting 220v from these cables then thats a problem in its self striker should have either nuteral or positive but not both.

also a 220v bush button (doorbell) dont exist, i think your working with a hash setup you should not be getting 220v at striker or button.

get customer to replace doorbell ......... in the UK we would not be allowed to reconnect under regulations and put sticker stating unsafe.

going with a normal doorbell setup doing what you need would be easy. as its low voltage.

214804_1.gif

I'm with Tom on this one. Running 220v outside to a button that's not getting any younger and expecting it to never shock someone with wet shoes and fingers is asking a bit much. Not a bad time to change and kill two birds with one stone.

Those 220v are not "outside", this is not a home, but an apartment (the other side of the door is not "outdoors"). No idea on how one of this bells/chimes are supposed to work, but from what I have googled it seems quite common to have them work at 220v. In fact this one seems to be manufactured in 96/97, so it is not that old. Not sure what kind of button you expect on the other side of the door, but the only difference with one you would use to turn on/off lights is that this one turns off when you stop pushing.

Anyway; I tried using one small 1.5V battery to close the alarm input, it did not do anything. I tried with two batteries (3V), it also didn't do anything. I tried with a 9V battery, no luck. I just tried with two cables, and it did work. So I guess it just can not be activated with any voltage, so I think I just need a 12v relay, something like this:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7224593_wire-12v-relay.html

214816_1.jpg

get a 220V relay and connect the coil to the bell input on your bell.

then when the bell rings, the relay will click.

then connect the contacts of your relay to your DVRs alarm input and setup as either N/C or N/O

now you have nice dry contacts and won't be putting damaging voltage into the DVR!

get a 220V relay and connect the coil to the bell input on your bell.

then when the bell rings, the relay will click.

then connect the contacts of your relay to your DVRs alarm input and setup as either N/C or N/O

now you have nice dry contacts and won't be putting damaging voltage into the DVR!

Aaaah, of course... I was always thinking on puting a 220v to 12v in there; but since I am not able to just connect 12v to the alarm input, it will be easier to buy a 220v relay, than a 12v relay with a 220v to 12v adapter. I see if I can find one tomorrow, thanks!

law in spain does not allow for 220v (DIRECT CONNECTION) doorbells. and i dought anywere else.

just to point out a few things

1, your test shows the striker is 220v hold off (as your getting voltage reading) which makes no sence

2, if doorbell was to be 220v then ........ you have no earth and more important NO FUSE protection.

by the time you have bought relays and the likes if you google 220v doorbell in spain (yes all 220v but step down for button and bell)

you will see 35 euros

then you will have volt free contact for your DVR is it worth all the messing around for 35euros ($40)

law in spain does not allow for 220v (DIRECT CONNECTION) doorbells. and i dought anywere else.

just to point out a few things

1, your test shows the striker is 220v hold off (as your getting voltage reading) which makes no sence

2, if doorbell was to be 220v then ........ you have no earth and more important NO FUSE protection.

by the time you have bought relays and the likes if you google 220v doorbell in spain (yes all 220v but step down for button and bell)

you will see 35 euros

then you will have volt free contact for your DVR is it worth all the messing around for 35euros ($40)

Tom, I tried to get back on topic, but it didn't seem to work; we install CCTV, not door bells. I am really not that much interested on knowing what doorbells spanish law allows, since I have never installed any, and I doubt I will. But even then, I don't see the point on 220v bells being forbidden. 220v light bulbs are allowed, right? I can have a button that will turn on a 220v light bulb, but not a 220v door bell? Could someone explain me the difference?

1, I am not sure what you are saying there; but I am geting voltage reading because I am pushing the button outside the door while I am taking that picture.

2, It has no earth. But I will say it again, any light bulb also does not. Are they also unsafe?

If you found something that is actually 35E and that I can use to replace this bell with and will also give me a relay output, please feel free to post a link. Otherwise, this thread really was not meant to be a thread about replacing a door bell, but a thread on how to connect from 220v, to an alarm input on a DVR...

Thanks!

Tom, I tried to get back on topic, but it didn't seem to work; we install CCTV, not door bells. I am really not that much interested on knowing what doorbells spanish law allows, since I have never installed any, and I doubt I will. But even then, I don't see the point on 220v bells being forbidden. 220v light bulbs are allowed, right? I can have a button that will turn on a 220v light bulb, but not a 220v door bell? Could someone explain me the difference?

Woow, No comments

ak359 please don't missunderstand me, I do not mean to be rude and I do appreciate the help on this forum; but I am here installing the CCTV system, and I was asked if it was possible to wire one alarm input so it will alert when someone rings the bell.

That is my task, I really have no need to replace the bell, the front door button, etc, unless I think there is some risk on how it is set up right now, and I am really unable to see any problem on how it is currently working.

Thanks!

I understand your task was to set Alarm via doorbell which is very easy ...... But because the way your customers bell is set up is the reason your having problems

I was only trying to help on what the regulations are. Ok yes it was already installed but since you have removed it and putting it back knowing its out of code

Then it falls on you and your company.

30 to 40 minutes to fitt a new low voltage door bell then your DVD just connects direct

But to start adding relays to a in protected 220v with no fuse or earth is just not worth the risk.

I am not an electrician. I did ask an honest question when I asked what is the risk. What is the difference between this button+bell, and any button+light bulb which also works at 220v? If I was to remove the bell and put a light bulb on its place taht would be "safe", but the bell is not safe? I really do not get it.

I do not see this having any more risk than any 220v light bulb, and I do not see myself telling anyone to replace all their house lights with 12v led lights becuse they are safer, and that 220v lights are not OK any more.

light fittings are rated at 240v cable / switch and fittings and fused (europe)

i did give a simple drawing of how easy it is ....... all this has come up because the doorbell is not to standard so drawing i left will not work for you as that would be 220v going though your dvr alarm point which you cant do.

spend money on putting doorbell into regulation which WILL save you money with having to buy install a relay and a fuse. (if you can do relays why is fitting a new doorbell so hard)

always work to codes and regulations

Well, the door bell seems to be quite standard, at least here in Spain. I went to check for new door bells this morning to an electrical supplies shop, and they had like 8-10 different models, all of them were 220v. I checked one out, and to me it did seem that it was about the same thing that is currently installed. I asked if they were ok, and they say it is legal to have 220v door bells.

yes its like buying a new PC it says 240v ............ show me a component in a pc thats 240v (none) 220v / 240v / 120v is power in (transformer)