steinj14

Recommended brands for DIY video surveillance system

I'm looking to purchase an 8-channel DIY video surveillance system (standalone dvr + cameras) for outdoor use only and am curious if there are any recommended brands. I've implemented two Q-See systems but would prefer a different brand since I encountered a couple issues with those. My price threshold is $1,000 (preferably less, of course...).

Any thoughts between Defender, Nightowl, Lorex, Swann, Svat, ??? Are they all really made by the same manufacturer and just rebranded?

What is the minimum camera TVL that you'd recommend for outdoor use? (My house is 30' x 52'). Seems like getting the highest quality camera you can afford is most the most important thing when choosing a system?

How should you place cameras in relation to motion lights?

Thanks in advance.

8 cams and a dvr/hdd will be difficult to get a decent quality for 1k.

As a rule...avoid the box systems. (Costco has/had a dahua megapixel "IP" dvr and cams that Imho COULD be a decent setup. But cost.....

Lighting. You don't want the camera to see the light source. It will make the camera work harder. Given the budget you don't want to stress the cams....they won't handle it well.

I've paid between 20.00 and 230.00 for my cams...sadly they are all mediocre. If you have good lighting you can make most cams seem tolerable. If u have poor lighting most if not all will look horrid. (I'm working on lighting at my residence.). I find depending on IR LEDs only leads to frustration. Of course I live in the desert...we have lots of dust and lots of bugs...other areas may not have these issues...I don't know

You can start from here and move up:

http://www.zmododirect.com/8-camera-surveillance-system-8-sony-ir-ccd-black-cameras-500gb/

Have not had an issue at all with this specific DVR and at least these camera's are CCD. Software is friendly too.

As a move up:

http://www.closeoutcctv.com/8-Ch-Camera-DVR-Security-Surveillance-CCTV-Package-p/cl-8propk34sh600.htm

Software is friendly on this unit too.

I also dont suggest the box type systems. there are cheap cams that can get the job done but you are still looking at around 80$ per on the low end. then add a cheap dvr like a Digimerge, Digital watch dog for 600$ and a power supply and monitor for 200$ and you will have a good system for say...1400... shop around and maybe you can hit ur mark.