smarty

"Contractor Pak" Outdoor Cams....Most complete/bes

Folks,

I am looking for some advise/useful comments on installing some COLOR outdoor camera's.

Background info:

New higher end house (South TX) to be pre-wired with RG59U siamese cable. All cabling to terminated in utility room where DVR and common camera power source to be installed. DVR will be 8 cam late model American Dynamics. Picture quality is a HUGE issue. If I can't make out the face or tag number, the system is worthless to me. Will the following cams and DVR get the job done?

CONSIDERING:

1) Sanyo OnePak (VSEP2363HBSA) 520 TVL resolution or,

2) American Dynamics (CPAK04703) 470 TVL resolution or,

3) Combining a Sony (SSCDC374 TVL=480) w/ lens and H/B outdoor housing (Does Sony sell a "contactor pak" with this camera?

Questions:

A) Since the house will have outdoor motion sensor lighting, does the above plan seem to make sense? Am I missing something?

B) Are there better value cam packages out there? It appears that the Sanyo's have a decent warranty, resolution and price. Any better values I should consider?

C) What items are typically not included in a "contracter pak" that I will still need?

Thanks for all the help this group has been. I have enjoyed reading the previous posts!!

smarty in South TX

on a new house why would you want to put those large housings?

have you also looked into the smaller bullet cameras that offer everything all built in, such as this one...from KTNC ..it is the KPC-N600H1

HIGH-RES. NIGHT VISION CAMERA BUILT IN

◆ VARIFOCAL LENS

◆ 1/3" Sony CCD / 520TV Lines

◆ f3.8~9.5 / 2.5~6.0mm Aspheric Varifocal Lens(Day & Night)

◆ 18 LED & CDS Sensor

you will want to also terminate your internet connection and network connection in the same room as your DVR, or at a minium run a network cable for the DVR to internet hub connection.

And, any cables for TV's/monitors you want connected should also be run. And consider modulating onto cable channel.

Your comment on being able to recoginze a licesnse plate/face will be challenged in your ability to place the camera properly. Also, unless you go with a license plate camera you'll have issues with that....those camera's are typically 2k on up. Facial recognition camera's are also expensive but the true combination will be in the camera and the DVR you select to do the recording.

Good luck.

is it faces or id tags on people you are tring to see or license plates on cars?

what are your distances from where you are placing the cameras to what you are trying to see CLEARLY for identification?

I am wanting to be able to see faces or identify vehicles clearly enough so that I could give the recorded video to the police. I have seen a number of camera/computer/DVR solutions that really lack crisp clarity (admittedly they were NOT installed or spec'ed out by pros).

The distances that I am looking for this claritiy is in the range of 20-35 feet (house or gate mounted cameras). The wider the field of view the better, but I would imagine wide view would come with some trade-offs.

SPYTOWN/anyone else - what is the warranty on the camera you mentioned. What has been the track record of the manufacturer (decent quality or hit and miss). It looks like it might fit the bill nicely.

Thanks,

smarty in South Texas

Field of view:

The larger the field of view, the less space any one object takes up relative to the total image. The smaller the object, the less pixels/resolution/detail will be shown for the object. Also, the highest quality image is going to be in the center 10% (there are some ways to cheat here and some manufactures can get a little higher).

There are always going to have to be a compromse between largest possible viewing area vs clarity of certain objects.

So here is the question portion of this:

How many cameras are you planning on using?

How much distance in with are you looking to see at 25 ft?

Are your requirements absolute? ie: Can you settle for make/model for the car for instance?

How wide is the driveway? Can you control the speed going down the driveway?

do not do not do not do not I repeat do not get the contractors kit from BES. It is a complete waste of money. If you really want to know why I think that I can send you the remnents of that case of JUNK that was labeled as contractors pack by BES. Go with labor saving devices.

I like the lens selection software. While it likely is elementary to the "seasoned" members of this board, it really helps the newbie (like me) grasp the basics of lens magnification and field of view.

Baywatch - thankyou.

Jisaacmagee - thanks for your comments as well. I am trying to avoid as many "potholes" that others have already stepped in.

Smarty in South TX