th111447

ESC-1 IP 1.3 MP 720P verus Dahua HFW2100

Guys-

I'm just getting into the IP cams and I'm moving quickly. I've got my NVR setup and I've purchased two cameras from Empire to compare. I just got the ESC-1 today. It's much larger than the DaHua. Anyone else tried out the ESC-1? Anyone know who actually manufactures it? I'm still tweaking things but so far I think the ESC-1 has a richer picture but shows more distoration than the Dahua. I'm going to play with it tonight in the dark to see if the night vision is truly twice as much as the Dahua. Well, just thought I'd try starting a new thread to compare the two. Feedback appreciated. I'm a newbie so I'm learning.

They are sort of abandoning Dahua, not their fault because Dahua does not want anything to do with U.S. so I doubt it's Dahua. Some of their newer cameras look like they are from IPSCam so that would be my guess. There are so many small companies in China that will assemble a camera to your specs for much less than Dahua charges for their cameras.

The problem as I see it is, you are buying cameras from a very small, probably underfunded startup company that may have no real service or support and may not work with most NVR software, so it's risky at best. How do you plan on recording from this camera? Do they sell an NVR for it? Is there free NVR software? Are the smart phone apps that will work with it?

I have the Dahua NVR and both cameras work on it. The new ESC-1 has an interface very similar to Foscam but it works fine on the Dahua NVR. I currently can access both cameras I'm a technical guy so I'm not worried about support besides firmware if the product does not function properly. I currently have the NVR running and can access both cameras via IDMSS.

How about motion recording? Lots of ONVIF cams can be seen by NVRs but don't pass on motion detection information so everything has to be recorded and reviewed to check for events.

I did a test last night and the night vision appears to be better than the Dahua. The day vision appears to have more vivid colors but doesn't seem as clear as the hfw2100. I plan to do some more tests but between working and taking care of the kids, I only get to mess with this at night except for the weekends. I'll see what I can come up with before Monday for you guys. I'm leaving on Monday for the kids spring break and hope to do some more in depth testing over the weekend. I'll also test out the motion on it.

Took a quick look at those videos and it looks like the Dahua is more low light sensitive at picking up ambient light better while the ESC relies more heavily on its IR emitters than ambient light. The real test is when you setup both cameras side by side in the dark and walk in front of them. A good camera should adjust the IR intesity to properly expose your face. Some cameras that don't compensate the IR intesity can overexpose the face and cause you to lose all the detail.

What looks like soft to you is the over processing that Dahua does, sort of noise reduction when you don't need noise reduction so it looks like patches of blur like the detail on the wood deck or a bush. I think both cameras here do this.

As a photographer, I don't like a lot of in-camera processing. Sort of the difference between a $100 point & shoot camera vs. a professional or enthusiast DSLR. An out of the camera image from the $100 p&s may look better to most because the image has been processed to appeal to consumers, noise removed, colors brightened, auto-sharpening. But in surveillance, a pretty enhanced image may sell more cameras, but you lose the detail you need. I prefer a more raw unprocessed image and then enhance with other tools where you have more control to bring out a license plate or face details that may get lost otherwise.

Curiously, another problem with Dahua over-processing is their excessive sharpening in low light, which is the opposite of the over-softening problem. This is on the HFW2100; I don't have the dusk experience on the 3MP yet.

On mine, it over-sharpens so aggressively as the light dies that my Blue Iris NVR detects it as motion, and records constantly for a while at dusk. Once it switches to BW mode, the motion detect goes back to normal.

They don't have any settings for this. I'd sure like to see Dahua get some more basic features into their firmware, like sharpening control, day/night threshold and hysteresis, and such.

The next version (coming soon, hopefully) of Dahua HFW2100 firmware is supposed to fix at least some of the issues with the noise reduction, so we can only hope. It is a really annoying issue, and makes the image quality a lot worse than it has to be.

Appreciate the input guys. I've been working with Kyle at Empire and will continue to test this new camera out when I get back from Spring Break vacation. I've really enjoyed working with Empire Security and they have been very supportive of the system I'm attempting to build. I highley recommend them if you are interested in Dahua or the new models they are bringing to the surveillance world. Very reasonable prices and excellent support.

Namkcit

I reviewed your link and believe I referenced it above. Do you prefer the esc1 over the Dahua? I'm currently on the road going on vacation. Plan to finish testing whe I get back. Thanks for your feedback.

Stickman, you'll need a few more posts before your posted links will go "live" here. Some features for new users activate after 10 posts, some seem to need 25. Thx for the updates!

Namkcit

I reviewed your link and believe I referenced it above. Do you prefer the esc1 over the Dahua? I'm currently on the road going on vacation. Plan to finish testing whe I get back. Thanks for your feedback.

Well yes and no. The ESC-IP has a varifocal lens and more IR power, but I don't like the housing or size as well as the Dahua. So it really depends on your need for the lens or lighting. I think they both have very similar video quality and the ESC-IP firmware has more video adjustments. I use both cams in BlueIris, so as far as there own software, I can't help you much there. So my thoughts....I'm waiting for the HFW-3200S

Stickman (someone already had my handle so I used mine backwards)

As to motion detection, I have been unable to get it to work with my hybrid.

Guys-

I got back from vacation and did several tests last night comparing the ESC-1 with the fw2100. I'd like to post all my results at once but need to figure out how to pull my day/night videos off the Dahua NVR3216. Before I go digging to figure out how to do this, can anyone point me in the right direction for how to pull the recorded video off the NVR into a viewable format for everyone to view?

Thanks

Alright, I found a program called player that allows to convert the downloaded dav files to avi files. Will be posting my review sometime tomorrow if time permits. Heading to bed now.

I've finally finished my review for comparing the Dahua 2100 with the ESC-1 camera from Empire Security. All the comments here are my opinion but I'm new and look forward to more expert advice in terms of the video comparison.

I felt the video quality of the ESC-1 was sharper during the day than the 2100. Compare the white house in the vidoes below. The colors on the ESC-1 are more vivid and not as washed out as the 2100. It also appeared to provide a clearer image of the long distant day shots of houses 700 ft away. I was impressed with the image quality and love the fact that I can adjust the lense and focus.

In regards to the night vision, the ESC-1 definately provides longer distant viewing in the dark. It provides a more vivid and clearer picture than the 2100. However, I notice a bit more distortion in the picture with the ESC-1 at night. I'm not sure if that is a result of the brighter picture it provides compared to the less lit 2100 that appears more washed out. Based on my tests, I feel the image quality of the ESC-1 is better than the 2100 and in addtion it provides the ability to adjust the camera from 2.8-12mm and the focus.

Below are the videos comparing the two. Let me know your thoughts.

NOTE: Front porch sis 40 ft wide and had cameras ****ed more towards the yard versus straight down the porch

ESC1- night porch

FW2100 - night porch

ESC1- Day porch

fw100 - Day porch

NOTE: Houses across the street are 700 ft. away

ESC1 - Day Front Yard

fw100 - Day Front Yard

Also, all videos above were done with cameras set to default values. Does anyone have any recommendations for setting the 2100 settings to obtain a better picture?

Do you prefer the esc1 over the Dahua?

are these not the same camera ????? which ever way you look at it there both dahua ??

No, The ESC-IP is a camera being sold by Empire Security Cameras. They are not a Dahua re-branded cam....completely different firmware and hardware.