Sign in to follow this  
shockwave199

DYNDNS account

I 'm about to setup a free account. I have my own free account from back in the day when they were grandfather'd in. I don't dare touch that account. So for this person, I need to set them up with their own free account. Is it still the trial routine these days? You sign up for a trial pro account and then cancel the trial within 14 days, and that leaves you with one free host name?

I 'm about to setup a free account. I have my own free account from back in the day when they were grandfather'd in. I don't dare touch that account. So for this person, I need to set them up with their own free account. Is it still the trial routine these days? You sign up for a trial pro account and then cancel the trial within 14 days, and that leaves you with one free host name?

I'm curious. I have a remote user on Comcast working out of his home, out of state. He's supposed to be on Comcast DHCP, but his IP address has not changed in a year and 4 months. I have another remote user (in a different state) on Time Warner DHCP cable I think whose IP address didn't change in four freakin' years. These are both "residential" accounts.

shockie, does this person need dynamic DNS? Has he checked to see how often his IP address has changed? If it doesn't change I'd surely purchase a cheap domain name at BlueHost or sumptin' and use their host record mechanism to point to this person's IP address. He ma\y not even need a domain name, right?

I'm certain you've thought of this bro...jus' thinking out load.

FWIW, If you register a domain name through Namecheap they will give you free Dynamic DNS.

As for how often an IP address can change, it can happen at any time for any reason your ISP feels like, unless they have guaranteed you a fixed IP address (and they usually charge extra for this). My ISP is Cox Cable and while they typically don't change my address unless I swap out a network card, I can recall at least one occasion where it changed spontaneously to a completely different subnet. Apparently they rearranged some of their internal network and had to give customers new addresses. Bottom line, unless you're paying for the privilege, don't count on your IP address being fixed.

I actually went with no-ip. The nvr has an updater in it, so no-ip fit the bill. As long as they don't start breaking the balls of free acount users, all will be fine. And I'm glad I went with no-ip because NOW dynds decided that free account users must login into their account once every thirty days to prove it's still active. The updater in your router, dvr, or nvr is NOT enough to prove that. You must actually log in once every thrirty days or you'll lose your account.

The dollar...always the dollar.