arkansas-bigfoot

Cameras for Pelco Dx816-500

I am 70 years old and just purchased a Pelco DX816-500 at a University auction. I hooked it up to the putter and discovered I needed software and a harddrive. I have those on the way.I know very little about installation but can install harddrive in PC.

Now I am going to need cameras. Probable 3 outside and a couple inside. They don't need to move, just stationary. Would like them to be motion sensitive and infered type for night vision and recording.

My house caught on fire Christmas and they are doing the repairs. Some strangers now have keys to my house for cleanup and repairs and would like to monitor things when I go to see my Grandkids for the weekend.

What would you all suggest for cameras? and installation locations etc.

Not that you can't upgrade the DX8116 - but there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do on the hardware front. It only has 500g of storage, you may want to increase that.

You can verify that it is on the most recent version of Firmware, which is always available for download for free on the Pelco FTP site: ftp.pelco.com

As far as cameras go - any analog camera will be compatible.

Got a harddrive and software and using a Defender Camera, it works and records.

I went to a Wal-Mart/Sams auction and got about 40 cameras Sony-Samsung. Now I am wanting to connect a few cameras for my house. Some are dome and some are outside bullet. I connected two of them and they have good quality about 300-400.

What do you recommend?

1. Cat5, Cat5E, Cat6 or RG59

a. Connectors, tools

2. Power supply for about 6 cameras

3. How do you erase the Harddrive?

4. The DV8116 has audio connectors, How do I use that and what do you recommend for speaker?

would this run on the Cat wires

5.I will look to see the Version of Pelco. I think it's 2.0