rory

Progressive Scan Cameras

they claim 2cif for DVRs while we are using 4CIF now. Axis is on a sales pitch, thats all. They are going to use the worst CCTV camera they can find.

An Example of what Im taking about would be Covi. Ive also seen some Progressive Scan Zoom Camera Modules also. They have Composite outputs for analogue CCTV.

As for catching a person in a moving car, thats what shutter speeds and deinterlace is for

thanks

Rory

The Covi cameras are intresting to play with. The image quaility is simply amazing and the zoom is entry level CSI tech.

Hi Rory and Thomas,

I haven't seen anything on your post since then, and was wondering what else you might of heard since this last post or if anyone else has any experience with these. I ask because I'm the process of looking at local installers in my area (Simi Valley, CA) and one of them suggested one of these for my vandalism issue (see my post). One of the things that was pointed out was the ability to use the zoom feature that is shown with three different shots below the general one. Almost , if I understand correctly like 'zoning' in the same way you would with motion detection, but in this case, the system allows you to show these zoomed in parts of the whole picture below the main picture. The way I understood this installer's presentation was that it was like having four different cameras in one housing. The Covi site references the application more for commercial use then residential but was wondering if this would be applicable to my application. In summary, has anyone had any experience with them (Axis , Covi, etc) and what have been the results with a residential use.

Surf1

The down side to Covi is that it's going to be expensive. If you can get one for less then four figures I would be suprised.

My question will be how is it going to work properly with anything other than their own DVR/IP system .... since DVR resolutions are still tops 720x480 ..

You just get a 720 by 480 image. I've seen one running with one of our systems. The image quality is just amazing.

so that would mean though, if you are using its multi view, then the smaller ones will be less than 720x480, more like 200x ...? Also, how do you control the views if using a DVR (IO's?)... i was looking but just didnt see anything about that ..

The down side to Covi is that it's going to be expensive. If you can get one for less then four figures I would be suprised.

Actually, I have already seen them for around 700 end user price.

My question is if as Rory as pointed out with the DVR issue, does it really make sense to invest in this equipment given the limitations of equipment?

I'm sorry that I can't say yes/no since you've raised this limitation, but since the manufacture doesn't even promote this for residential use (primarily it appears commercial- banking and education) what do those of you that install these in residential use see as an advantage to it?

Also,possibly over time the price as dropped- in the dome configuration, I found this available for less then $600.

Surf1

Actually, I have already seen them for around 700 end user price.

I'll dig up the model number for that Covi but it's not one of thier domes. It's one of the box types with four outputs.