sue

Assistance requested for home security

Thank you all so much. Now I'm going to have just a few more questions in a couple of days after looking at all of this.

Sue

Thank you all so much. Now I'm going to have just a few more questions in a couple of days after looking at all of this.

Sue

also check out:

http://www.specotech.com/cart/products/default.asp?action=viewcat&catid=174

and to purchase at wholesale pricing direct from the internet:

http://www.spytown.com/search--by-part-number-speco-technologies.html

http://www.spytown.com/search--by-part-number-speco-technologies--board-cameras.html

and the dvr all-in-one unit i like to use, simple installation, maintenance free, internet/LAN ready: (called StoreSafe DVR)

http://www.bahamassecurity.com/ms/dvr/default.asp

and to purchase online at wholesale price:

http://www.123securityproducts.com/kainst4chdvr.html

Sue,

Firstly where are you located?

Secondly, you could replace your existing PIR with a PIR Camera, most PIR cameras actually still work as a PIR anyhow.

If you are looking for pinhole keep this in mind: Most Pinhole Cameras are wide angle, therefore if you want facial detail it may be a bit too wide an angle for you, depending on the size of the room. Do not purchase a CMOS Pinhole camera and try to get something that is manufactored in Korea or Japan. The one I sell has Audio as well with a built in Pre Amp and it is $115 US.

http://www.altechvision.com.au/pages/products.asp?CatID=58

Sue,

Firstly where are you located?

Secondly, you could replace your existing PIR with a PIR Camera, most PIR cameras actually still work as a PIR anyhow.

If you are looking for pinhole keep this in mind: Most Pinhole Cameras are wide angle, therefore if you want facial detail it may be a bit too wide an angle for you, depending on the size of the room. Do not purchase a CMOS Pinhole camera and try to get something that is manufactored in Korea or Japan. The one I sell has Audio as well with a built in Pre Amp and it is $115 US.

http://www.altechvision.com.au/pages/products.asp?CatID=58

if she is using a good PIR i wouldnt replace it with a camera PIR, especially if using rokonet motions, the camera PIRs are nowhere as good for alarm systems.

I am in Southern California. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with the existing PIR since it is aimed and tuned exactly right. I don't want to start having false alarms. It scares the H$%(*& out of the little old lady next door.

I am interested in facial detail, especially if someone is here who is not supposed to be here. I'll browse all of the links you have offered. I may have time to look at them tonight. Thanks!!

I may have to bite the bullet and put an ugly fake smoke detector in. I wish there were cameras disguised as can lights. We have loads of those in this house.

I am in Southern California. I'm a bit hesitant to mess with the existing PIR since it is aimed and tuned exactly right. I don't want to start having false alarms. It scares the H$%(*& out of the little old lady next door.

I am interested in facial detail, especially if someone is here who is not supposed to be here. I'll browse all of the links you have offered. I may have time to look at them tonight. Thanks!!

I may have to bite the bullet and put an ugly fake smoke detector in. I wish there were cameras disguised as can lights. We have loads of those in this house.

if you need facial detail you will need at least a 6mm or 8mm lens, 3.6 mm wide lens will be no use.

Are there any dome cameras that have audio?

I've pretty much decided on a color dome camera, and I prefer white to blend in with the walls. I really want audio.

Also, the standalone DVR's are looking better and better, but they seem to be really pricey.

Thanks!

How about this DVR? Is it a good one? D4 DX4C-40

Will it work with my network? I'm using a router. Thanks.

Oh yeh.. I know this one well. its the new version of the Digital Sprite by Dedicted Micros. Overall its a good unit but it is very overpriced indeed, however I have heard that this unit has dropped a fair bit in price (4ch only)there are a few things to note about this unit.

The information they give you on how many days worth of recording the unit will do is based on 3fps per camera which is not what the system will do if working to full capacity, the storage figures would be a lot worse than that.

Because it is a standalone machine it will be very stable and the only thing that could break would be the HDD, however as with most standalone devices it has some limitations. You will not be able to upgrade to better software when it is released without purchasing a whole new unit or shipping it back to the manufactorer, also you will only be able to connect to the device via Ethernet and not a local telephone call, therefore you will need a DSL or Cable connection at the viewing end and the DVR site location and this will add to the cost.

It is a very easy to use unit, the biggest drawback that I had with it was that you have to use a ZIP drive to back up and they may have changed that but it is a major drawback as with a PC based system you can use a CDRW to back up. The system only records at 30FPS which is a bit slow for a four camera system however it is not unbearable.

As mentioned before I am not sure if they fixed the CDR back up option I think they were looking into making a SCSI port option however SCSI CDRW's are expensive, One thing to consider is this. If you require to back up and watch on another machine you will need to have their software to view it, therefore you can not just jump on any machine to view back ups and the police will need to have the sofware and know how to use it.

Please do not quote me on all these aspects, as the system may have developed from the last time I looked at it and they may now have PSTN support or CDRW but one other thing I noticed was that the live video display resolution is not what is recorded, they crop the image in PAL format and squash it to avoid video tearing and software interlacing, this means that you start with a 720x512 PAL image but they only record 720x256 PAL to avoid the tearing affect.

Lastly, I think the system wont record in MPEG4 only JPEG so it will fill your HDD faster than a MPEG4 recorder will.

In summary, it has been a long time since I looked at the Dedicated Micros product so my facts may be incorrect but overall it is a very solid unit indeed and very small and light, it wont crash but only records in JPEG and I would prefer it had a PC interface for back up, out of 10 I would give it a 7 and would give it an 8 if it wasnt so expensive, as far as standalones go it is about the second best on the market, it lacks a lot of PC features but you will be hard pressed finding a neater unit.

The easy way to add accesories is also a great feature and they make great PTZ controllers, if you can afford it go for it.

Hope this helped.

Thank you very much. I had to take some time off for the holiday. So the number one unit in your book that is not PC based? I'm thinking this way as I already have 4 pc's to maintain, and I need something small to fit in my closet. If that's not going to work, then so be it. I'll go with a very small PC with not much to break on it.

Thanks.

Sue

Make sure whatever DVR you decide to get can record more than 1 channel of audio (that is if you will be using more than 1 camera with audio). Not all DVRs have multiple audio recording ability. Also cameras with built in microphones may not always give you the best audio since they may not be near the audio source and usually the microphones they use are not of the highest quality. You may want to consider using separate microphones.

One other thing about audio to keep in mind, most audio recording without the knowledge of the people involved are illegal and considered eavesdropping and have many laws protecting right to privacy. The same is not true with video. Covert video is much more liberal than covert audio.

You may be getting yourself into a lot of trouble with audio.

Ok, thanks for the tip. Is that true even in my own home? If someone steals from my home and I have audio along with the video of them stealing, might I still be in trouble?

That is a good question of which I have no answer. For places such as liquor stores, etc. you can have audio recordings if you post signs saying "Audio Surveillance on these Premises" so the same may hold true.

If what you are seeking is evidence of someone robbing your house generally the video alone will stand up and audio would really not be needed. Remember, if you do decide on audio, make sure the DVR can record enough channels of audio to cover the number of microphones you will be using. Many of the DVRs out there will only record 1 channel of audio.

Got it, thanks.

Sue, for price and features i would go for the GE Interlogix (Kalatel) StoreSafe, cheaper than the DM products, and unlike DM, Kalatel actually make other CCTV products. up to you though, but ive installed a few StoreSafes and they are soo simple to install, and small and compact, price is more than a PCI card DVR, but lower than the DM.

Rory, how many audio channels can the StoreSafe record? Also what type of files are backed to the CD/RW and do they play back audio? I think the StoreSafe is a great idea, just wish someone would come out with the exact same thing at a reduced price.

Rory, how many audio channels can the StoreSafe record? Also what type of files are backed to the CD/RW and do they play back audio? I think the StoreSafe is a great idea, just wish someone would come out with the exact same thing at a reduced price.

Hi Alan

Only 1 channel in and out (i think, would have to check the specs, havent had to use that option on the StoreSafe yet). Yes, you can playback recorded audio on any medium it records to. It will only burn to the CDRW when you select to save a recorded section of video, they are in the WaveLet format specific to the Kalatel DVRs, extension is .RDB.

Yep, i wish someone would copy the product design and features, lower the price, AND add to the features, where video can be saved in Mpeg/AVI format for no need for the quickwave software, and it would have a removeable hard Drive also (hot swapping), and send messages like in the DVMRe's to email or cell or pager or PDA. Another good thing would be like what Sony has in their HVR which as a built in Tape Drive for archiving to the tape also, no need for extra hardware, but i guess that would cost too much anyway.

I guess in time. Ive been searching but there is nothing like it out there, yet. Ive seen some but they are the slim line style of the Old store safe.

Rory

PS. If you want to take a look at the WaveReader software (or my software ) working let me know ill send you the IP address. Email me if you want to. Unfortunately though all StoreSafes I installed are not yet online, one is an offshore bank, the other a home user. The others online are all DSR-2000e's with Triplex Multiplexers, which are online. I have another DSR2000e in a local alarm monitoting station that is on the router but not online, they are using the RSM-1600 Phone line device direct to their large screen TV. Another DSR2000 with a triplex mux is also not online, they are using the RSM-1600 to PC connection. Unfortunately I haven't installed as many DVRs as our Australian friend (yet!) But the new year should bring in new business with a new CCTV store I hope to open with new partners and ALOT of new advertising. Ofcourse Im not stuck on any one product or service no matter what you may have seen so far, if any manufacturer or dealer wants to start a type of CCTV business here with me, im ready and willing. This country has no CCTV store as yet, and CCTV is still in the beginning process here, so there is so much need for it, and so much business yet to aquire.

EDIT: i just read the specs and they do have email notification on alarm on all Store Safe products. Still both have single channel audio recording.

For full specs here is the link to the PDF file:

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/products/ge-interlogix?pnlid=9&famid=63&catid=1088&id=StoreSafe&typeId=4&lang=en_US

Rory

Ok, thanks for the tip. Is that true even in my own home? If someone steals from my home and I have audio along with the video of them stealing, might I still be in trouble?

not in this country. I have a local retailer here recording audio. But our laws arent the same so you may need tocheck with your local laws. Actually video is not yet submissible in court here, its only useful that the police here know all the criminals by face and they are repeat criminals, so they can ID them from that, plus the retail owners can catch in house theft, even if not useful in court. One day they will 'eventually' change the laws here, but ..

This christmas, i havent seen a traffic cop yet, ive driven all over the island, back and forth, all day, and not in 2 weeks, 1 traffic cop! People in the past few days have been running red lights like its free. Plus there is no drinking and driving law, so 95% of drivers are drunk!!

I thought I was in the twighlight zone today! Still people running lights! (not me, i do 50mph when i see people running the light, i dont mind wrecking this POS car I have now, legitally so I can buy a new one ) PSS - Im not drinking and driving right now

I can sell you a ALNET DVR CARD, 4 PORT PCI, 10fps per camera, but since you are only using 2, then it will be 15FPS, and it does store it in the hard drive, plus you can check it thru the internet, but the only drawback is that you have tu use their software, which is provided by them.

the cost: $249.99 + Shipping.

The audio thing, I know for a fact that in CA, if it is in your house, only the people that live there need to know about the audio, but not the video.

I can also get you the consealed cameras, pinhole lenses, color, in either a clock, or a smoke detector, how about a fake plant?, all for around $150-300, depending if it's wired, or wireless, CMOS, or CCD.

You can e-mail me at: hermin@shscomputers.com

Let me know, thanks!!

An easy way to do it, but not the cheapest way, is to use wireless network cameras and a wirless access point.

Veo Wireless Observer cameras are $250 or so. No need to run cables, just plug 'em in. A Wireless Access Point is under $100. That also gives you a wireless network in your home...

Use SkyWire Video software for the motion detection, recording, and remote access. SkyWire Video lets you view your system from PC, and cell phone, and PocketPC. SkyWire Video will support audio in their V2.0 release. Although those VEO cameras do NOT have audio.

http://www.astaskywire.com/products/skywirevideo/secure.asp

If you only need audio in a central location, just put a good PC microphone there. SkyWire Video will work with that.

Wireless video should only be used as a last resort, and if you do, you should use wireless video transmitters, with proper antennas & receivers, placed high enough and away from anything that can cause interference.

http://www.videocommtech.com/index.php?SCREEN=tech_notes

Those VEO cameras are not CCTV cameras, and use 802.11b which doesnt gove you much of a range. I agree on the DVR thing, but go for a wired setup where possible.

An easy way to do it, but not the cheapest way, is to use wireless network cameras and a wirless access point.

Veo Wireless Observer cameras are $250 or so. No need to run cables, just plug 'em in. A Wireless Access Point is under $100. That also gives you a wireless network in your home...

Use SkyWire Video software for the motion detection, recording, and remote access. SkyWire Video lets you view your system from PC, and cell phone, and PocketPC. SkyWire Video will support audio in their V2.0 release. Although those VEO cameras do NOT have audio.

http://www.astaskywire.com/products/skywirevideo/secure.asp

If you only need audio in a central location, just put a good PC microphone there. SkyWire Video will work with that.