badgcoupe

Any suggestions on a cheap tablet to monitor IPCCTV?

Hello all,

I have a Dahua/Milestone system setup in my place and now that I've recouped from the costs of the initial installation I am looking to get some sort of dedicated monitoring tablet to use around the house. I was thinking of using an older android tablet seeing they are extremely affordable all over the net. Does/has anyone done something like this? Any tips or things I should think about before purchasing as far as specs go?

Thanks much!

How much is a new Android tablet. Heck, I only paid $199 for my Google Nexus 7 and I think they are cheaper now. You don't want to go too old or too cheap because those may be stuck on an old Android release that newer apps may not run on. Also, they may have batteries that are not interchangeable and have a life that may be near its end.

I purchased a one-generation back Samsung Galaxy Tab 8 for $200 used on eBay. The screen is quite a bit bigger than the 7" tablets. For what I spent I also got a charging dock, case and other stuff along with all of the boxes. It cannot run any OS newer than ICS but for my purposes (running Synology Surveillance App) it's fine.

It's a pretty spiffy setup too. I just leave it on a small end table close to the front door and normally have it set on the front door camera. Makes it easy when the doorbell rings to know if it's someone I want to talk to or a door to door salesperson or bible thumber I can ignore.

Whatever you buy make sure you have a way to keep it charged and in an appropriate position without having to use a special case or other thing to keep it propped up.

Ainol tablets are great. I use BlueIris myself and the app for it is great and works fine on my Novo Fire.

It has a 1280x800 screen and is very fast. Battery is very good but keep a USB charger near where you put it around the house to keep it topped up.

It is $159 when in stock on http://www.ainol-novo.com/ainol-novo-7-fire-android-tablet-pc-dual-core-1-5ghz-wifi-hd-2160p-dual-camera-bluetooth-16gb.html

They also have 10" tablets to.

Hello all,

I have a Dahua/Milestone system setup in my place and now that I've recouped from the costs of the initial installation I am looking to get some sort of dedicated monitoring tablet to use around the house. I was thinking of using an older android tablet seeing they are extremely affordable all over the net. Does/has anyone done something like this? Any tips or things I should think about before purchasing as far as specs go?

Thanks much!

You didn't specify if you want to directly access DAHUA or use a Milestone/other client? What cameras? How many channels do you want to see?

I asked the same question not too long ago:

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=34926

I'm thinking on buying something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Android-External-Playback-3-Point-Resistive/dp/B00BZMZNOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366844373

10.1" Android 4.0.4 A10 1.2 GHz External 3G Tablet PC with 4GB Hard Drive, Wi-Fi, 1080P Video Playback, GPS, 3-Point Resistive TFT Touch Screen

WiFi and Ethernet.