MR2

Milestone Vs 360 Degree Camera's (yes, another)

Morning all!

we have been using Milestone across a few sites and it's working really well, we're at the point however where we are in need of some 360 degree camera's for indoor or widely used area coverage, the problem we have is that no-one seems to show video's of how well their cam's work with Milestone, the issue is that while a lot of these camera's work with Milestone none of the reasonably priced (sub $1k) units will let me record the entire stream, but de-warp out 4 x 90 degree streams for display simultaneously in the Smart Client and Mobile Clients...

So far I'd love to try the Vivotek 5mp, but it looks like I can't even get the stream to run at the maximum resolution (listing as max resolution of 1920x1920, not 2560x1920 as the sensor is? wth)

the other issue is that you cannot "enable" stream stripping or de-warping in Milestone, as it's something that camera company has to licence with Milestone, I also don't want to have to buy a camera licence for each of the 4 camera's in for example the Mobotix system, nor pay the ridiculous amount of money these guys want for their camera's)

This gets even better!!! the dewarping plugin ONLY works with Corp/Ent

well, this camera is whipped straight off the interesting list.

Description:

When using the XProtect® Smart Client, fisheye streams from Vivotek cameras are not dewarped.

Solution:

XProtect® software is not able to dewarp this type of fisheye image.

A proprietary plug-in from Vivotek is available for the latest version of XProtect Smart Client (when connecting to XProtect® Corporate or XProtect® Enterprise servers) that enables image dewarp and PTZ.

The plug-in and related documentation can be downloaded from Vivotek at: http://www.vivotek.com/downloads/downloads.php?kind=plugin.

This KB Applies to the following Milestone products:

XProtect Enterprise 7.0

XProtect Enterprise 8.0

XProtect Corporate 4.1

XProtect Corporate 5.0

XProtect Corporate 4.0

XProtect Corporate 3.0

XProtect Corporate 3.1

The Mobotix Q24 plays well with milestone for 360 degree and is under $1k retail, lower for dealer.

I may have to stoop to this unit, really want a 5mp unit though.... covering such a large area really make sense to get the pixel density up..

Speaking with a few experts in the 360 field they've brought up one really good reason to avoid it, a single 360 will not be able to adjust for the various lighting conditions (we have sunlight coming through some of the doors into our warehouses, so lighting conditions can vary greatly)

I really liked the two other 360 degree options recommended by Milestone, but the WDR issue would need to be tested before going too far, Milestone's suggestion of looking at the Immervision len's was a good one, they "bend" the image into the sensor slighly differently giving you more pixels further away from the camera, see here: http://www.immervision.com/en/security/security_panomorph_lenses.php

the only issue is that again, with such a large area, and in the case of our business we don't need massive frame rates, instead we want pixels, so we'd want a 5mp sensor in there, and the "current" version of that immersion lens that's $600-800 by itself depending on who you ask, only supports 1.3-2mp (they say) the 5mp one is listed as existing but no-one will tell me a price!! so rather than getting your $600-800 fisheye you're then stuck with a $500 camera and a $800+ dollar lens!!! for $1300 I can buy a LOT of camera and a LOT of storage (Dahua for $300 each, HDD"s for our storage are $200 for 4tb)

the other direction is the Grandeye, getting a price out of anyone is proving quite hard : http://www.oncamgrandeye.com/45-grandeye.html

I have been using the Mobotix Q24 and a Axis m3007 with both Avigilon and Milestone for a couple of months. One thing I have learned is if you wall mount the camera there is no need for the dwarping. Also if your comparing images I would prefer the Axis camera because you get higher resolution and higher frame rates.

the Axis might be a winner, not sure why i did not see it before...

does it do server side de-warping?

ok I got the Axis M3007-PV...

I can't believe how bad the quality is, I know that your covering a much larger area than a normal 90 degree camera but it's so terrible I can see why Arecont vision put normal camera's in their larger domes!

yeah, I'm sure it's working fine, but it gets fuzzy so fast! I thought we'd get clarity to slightly larger distances.... oh well

do you find yours are quite slow to change & update settings?