So I have dahua IPC-HDBW3202 and I have a cctv mic hooked up to it. I also have the dahua 4 channel NRV and perviously to this camera, I had the same mic hooked up to the audio in on the nvr and the audio was clear and good. But now I have that same mic hooked up this camera and the audio quality has dropped to kinda muffled and distorted when voices get loud. This camera only has a wire terminal on it- no rca jack. So I bought from radio shack a premade speaker wire with an rca jack on one end, bare on the other. I plugged the mic into the rca jack and wired the other end to the camera. I had a buzz in the line, so I put a buzz eliminator in line and that took care of that. But the audio sucks. I'm thinking it's because I'm using this speaker wire with the rac jack on it- unshielded it perhaps is introducing the buzz. And then with the buzz eliminator in line, it's probably not doing anything good for the audio beyond eliminating the buzz. I'm gonna try redoing this tomorrow and start from scratch, by installing a bnc balun with the proper rca to bnc adapter on the mic end, and then use cat 5 wire over to the camera and see if the audio cleans up and sounds better. The only other thing I might try is switching out the mic for one that has a gain adjustment on it, to avoid distorting when loud conversation is too close.

Any other suggestions about where I've gone wrong with this, or a better hookup?

Hi Shockwave, mind if I ask how did you solve this issue? What kind of cable did you end up running? What mic did you use? I'm in the same situation now (a little bit worse since I don't have extra power for amplified mic) with the same camera...

Thank you!

I ended up using a mic with again control on it. Got it from ebay- not expensive. The frequency response of the mic is better for conversation- less boomy. Also the gain control on the mic itself really helped to dial in the right volume. It worked so well that I didn't need to change the wire out.

237272_1.jpg

Thanks!

My problem is the installation has no power, only PoE. So I am trying to decide whether to use a non-powered mic like this and connect like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102959

http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-107190-Stereo-Splitter-Adaptor/dp/B00DJAAFVW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387066763&sr=8-2&keywords=rca+female+to+3.5mm+female

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-ME-52W-Noise-Canceling-Microphone/dp/B000MYPPPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387066560&sr=8-1&keywords=olympus+mic

Camera wire terminal-->RCA male to bare leads cable--->rca female to 3.5mm female adapter--->olympus mic with 3.5mm male.

I could eliminate the adapter if radio shack has 3.5mm to bare leads speaker cable.

2nd way I was thinking of is using PoE splitter so I can get a DC power out and use your mic with DC pass through to run power for both the mic and the camera...But i will still need the RCA cable with bare leads.

Method 1 has been untested, seems less expensive, and not sure if the mic would even work with that camera...

Method 2 will be similar to your installation, which seems safer since you said had good results.

For the radio shack cable, did you cut it to be a shorter length? I saw that it says 24 feet long...

Thanks again for all your help!

I didn't cut the wire because I wanted to leave placement options for the client if he wanted to move it. And you will need to power the mic somehow. The radio shack wire is the one I used. Good luck!

Edited by Guest