zikronix

Inside the lorex and swann nvr pics

I didnt go into full detail here are some pics of the internals. Also the lorex is not as loud as the as the swann, the lorex appears that it also appears it has less memory. I may take some more detailed images of the lorex later since we have detailed pictures of the swann.

SWANN:

RAM: 8GB DDR3

PROCESSOR: TI TMS320

DM8165BCYG

http://www.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/tms320dm8165.html

LOREX:

RAM: 4GB DDR3

PROCESSOR: TI XDM8107AA

R21

2BZCN89 G1

844 AAR

20130511_180816.jpg.779273b36b2d9136e893fb4fab400ee1.jpg

20130511_182445.jpg.188e4cc0b44c3e5c0fbc32d50aea0f8f.jpg

Edited by Guest

Nice info! I know size isn't everything, but between the larger MB and the fan on the CPU, I wonder if the Swann system has more horsepower.

There's a program on many Linux systems called top that shows the amount of CPU each program uses that's currently running. If you can telnet into the system and run it, it would give a good idea of how much the processor is working for a given setup.

That appears to be the same power supply in each box. Is there another hard drive connection on either one?

Yes they both have the ability for a second harddrive. Additionally the switch appears to be the same as well.

I can telnet into the box but im greeted with a password that is different than any of the defaults. so I am unable to run the commands.

Can you get a firmware file for either of these? Might be able to pull it apart.

Otherwise find a serial port on the mainboard and see if the console single user mode is enabled and change the password.

Next step is to pull the HD / flash and grab firmware that way..

Interesting - so the main/only difference between these boxes is the motherboard, which presumably includes the alarm inputs.

The Hik camera uses either admin or root as the login with the current admin password for telnet. After changing the password, it would login on the web page fine, but I had to power cycle it before it would login by telnet.

After I changed the admin password, the default password didn't work. I don't know if it has a hardwired telnet backdoor like the Dahua; if it does, this hasn't been published that I can find.

Can you get a firmware file for either of these? Might be able to pull it apart.

Otherwise find a serial port on the mainboard and see if the console single user mode is enabled and change the password.

Next step is to pull the HD / flash and grab firmware that way..

You can grab the latest swann firmware from their site. I can try to console in, If I had a usb to serial converter.

I don't have a Linux box around to look at the lorex HD

Interesting - so the main/only difference between these boxes is the motherboard, which presumably includes the alarm inputs.

The Hik camera uses either admin or root as the login with the current admin password for telnet. After changing the password, it would login on the web page fine, but I had to power cycle it before it would login by telnet.

After I changed the admin password, the default password didn't work. I don't know if it has a hardwired telnet backdoor like the Dahua; if it does, this hasn't been published that I can find.

Alarm inputs, serial port, ram, processor, and case size (lorex will fit a 19" rack swann wont). The cameras login is the default password which does not match what ever the telnet password is

That Lorex supplies PoE power over those 8 Ethernet ports, that could be about 80 Watts right? Small power cables there in the picture.

Im going to take measurements of that cpu fan in the swann, that is the source of the noise for the most part. The fan appears to run at different RPM, allthough im not sure how they are doing that because the fan doesnt have the sensor cable. So it could just be if tempature = x, increase voltage to fan. Im going to look at replacing it with a copper sink using artic silver. The holes show a standard chipset fan should fit, but I want a processor class product. Ill let you know what i find.

Can someone measure the size of the side fan in the Lorex? I'd like to replace mine with something quieter when it comes in.

BTW, fan measurements are side-to-side and typically in millimeters. This looks like a 40mm or 50mm fan.

Can someone measure the size of the side fan in the Lorex? I'd like to replace mine with something quieter when it comes in.

BTW, fan measurements are side-to-side and typically in millimeters. This looks like a 40mm or 50mm fan.

I just took the lorex back! im guesisng its a 40mm

May I ask why?

May I ask why?

If your asking why I took the lorex back. I already had the swann. After the swann support, and opening up the two...I will keep the swann. Better processor, more ram, better support, 3 year warranty through swann + concierge service. Alarm inputs/outputs, serial port, rs435, plans for a PTZ.

The lorex doesnt give you that.

If your talking about the fan: 25+ years in the computing field....it looks like a 40mm its too small to be a 50mm

Thanks, that's my best guess as well.

As for quiet 40mm fan options the Noctua seems like a good option since it includes a 3-pin to 2-pin adaptor cable and a low noise adaptor to reduce fan speed and sound levels further if needed.

Remember the cooling on the lorex is passive. There are no holes like there is on the swann to mount an active cooling solution. You might be able to fit a 50mm in side the case with some slight mods, which would also increase CFM at lower speeds, thus less noise