avguru1

Recommendations desired: camera for a unique task

Hello all:

Looking for an uber small camera for a POV for my upcoming wedding.

I know, odd question in this forum, but the similarities are well, similar.

During the ceremony, I'd like to have a camera near eye level to record the ceremony (my wife's reaction, etc) vows, etc. Button cams are too low (she's just as tall as I am), I wear glasses and not contacts, so spy glasses are out. Tie cameras won't work with the tuxedo ties. Cameras that hook around the ear are noticeable. Was debating endoscopic camera wired up to my glasses, with a DVR in pocket...or perhaps a pen camera in my pocket. slightly low, but it's somewhat unobtrusive.

To top it off, looking for 720p minimum, SD just won't cut it.

See, I proposed in 3D and work in the tech space of the film industry, so I need to 1-up the proposal!

I'd love any input from those who may have come across these types of cameras.

Thanks!

Instead of putting it on your person why not position a camera a eye level behind you with a decent zoom to get in nice and tight on her face?

They're probably made of unobtainium for the moment, but Google Glass prescription edition might fit the bill.

Other options might be unobtrusive if you've got an Afro, wear a turban, or whatever. You ever think of getting contacts just for the ceremony? That'd make Glass-cams (or other brands) seem like you just switched glasses for the wedding. If you're worried about cost, the cost of contacts is probably cheaper than some of your other options for keeping your original glasses when relatively cheap glasses-oriented spycams are available..

Instead of putting it on your person why not position a camera a eye level behind you with a decent zoom to get in nice and tight on her face?

I'm working with the videographer on it, but no cam will have her looking directly at it...they'd all be behind me and off to the side. I'd be blocking the money shot. No matter how you cut it, it's gonna look like a off to the side shot.....thanks though!

They're probably made of unobtainium for the moment, but Google Glass prescription edition might fit the bill.

Other options might be unobtrusive if you've got an Afro, wear a turban, or whatever. You ever think of getting contacts just for the ceremony? That'd make Glass-cams (or other brands) seem like you just switched glasses for the wedding. If you're worried about cost, the cost of contacts is probably cheaper than some of your other options for keeping your original glasses when relatively cheap glasses-oriented spycams are available..

I was tweeting @projectglass everyday for almost 2 months trying to get PR to get me a pair for the ceremony... no dice! Even my contacts at Google can't help. As for the contacts and glass cam - yup, that (was) my plan B. I was debating contacts just the ceremony...this is still an option, just a more extreme one. Never worn 'em, never had 'em.

Find a small HD board cam that you can hide in a boutineer.

Edit: just noticed you want eye level.

After seeing Larry's "bump", I got to thinking of more mundane varieties of endoscopic-type cams with much smaller pricetags- inspection cameras for mechanics, electricians, HVAC, etc. I haven't researched the high end of these things but I've got a gooseneck one that does wireless video transmission. Mine's definitely low-def but some of the higher end ones do 720P as well as wireless video transmission. Some of them might even record. Might be worth a look, anyway.

I appreciate all of the suggestions all. Here is an update.

I'm currently beating up on this:

http://www.spytecinc.com/hidden-video-camera-glasses.html

It's 1280 x 720 (so, at least a larger frame size than SD), and the fps seems to vary between 29-30fps, and thus the audio falls out of sync after a while. Doesn't handle loud volumes well, and I see oddness with the unit sometimes turning off on it's own (still researching why via trial and error). Can't get the date and time stamp to not display (directions don't work), and even if you DO use the date time stamp, you have to manually drag a text file onto the volume every time you copy data from the memory stick. Lastly, the packaging and manual are in Japanese, and the English translation is poor, and it's a learning process.

It's made cheaply and the quirks seems to be known and experienced by others.

They are, however, *somewhat* stylish and at eye level. Maybe, just maybe, I can work around the issues for the one day.

I have scoured the web for higher quality versions of this product, even calling in some favors at Sony & Panasonic to try and test some more industrial stuff (sometimes it pays to be in the industry). Sadly, I cannot find any other glasses that are HD resolution and don't look completely ridiculous.

I have looked into endoscopes so perhaps I can fasten it to my glasses, and run the scope to a recorder hidden on me, but thus far, no luck with HD resolution AND a portable recorder with it. The hunt continues.

So, I'm open to suggestions for other solutions, or parts and pieces to fabricate my own. Thanks all!

I'm now looking into FPV cameras (arial), and mods to remove and extend cell phone camera lenses....

Let us know what you come up with. I have a use for this camera too.

I've got a ton of info, I'll try to condense:

The glasses link you posted for the most part, come from China. Not really made here. Easily obtainable from resellers on eBay. There are of crummy quality - both from the hundreds of reviews online, as well as my experience - I am on my second pair. Audio drifts from video, 1280 x 720 is low grade quality MJPEG. Instructions in all cases are poor Engrish, and are made from flimsy material. Most have a permanent time/date stamp on them.

I've done extensive research into the 808 keychain series. Very popular amongst hobbiests, these cameras are anywhere from SD to 1080p, in a form factor of a keyring. This guy is the Guru on them: http://www.chucklohr.com/808/index.shtml . I just purchased a #26, which is a new model and is 1080p. There is also an extension cable so you can separate the lens from the PCB, so you can hide the "bulky" (keyring) elsewhere, and attach the lens elsewhere.

I also picked up a used pair of Pivothead glasses. They are a bit obvious, but I am disassembling them to use the lens and circuitry.

FWIW, most endoscopes were not 1080p, or did not have any form of onboard recording.

Lastly, stuntcams.com has a bunch of cameras, including a small 1080p clip on that has a tether to the recording monitor/base unit. I may rent this.

I have pages of notes and info, but this is a 20,000 overview.

~Michael

I want to wear a cap in my situation, so the keyfob with ext cable will work for me. It must be totally covert and high. I must be able to aim camera continuously. Hopefully the field of view will be right.

Thanks, I had been hoping for an idea for months.