Sign in to follow this  
Outsync

Second outdoor camera ACTI D31 or Dericam H602W

Hi Guys,

I'm planning a second outdoor camera, I will connect this one using POE, in addition to my Foscam 9802w.

I already narrowed down my search to these two cameras (ACTI D31(2) or Dericam H602W) because they're HD and support POE. Now I'm having thoughts on the Dericam because well.. it's Dericam and I had my fair share of instability issues with the 9802w. From the things and reviews I've read is that the Dericam could be potentially unstable. Where I will mount this camera I require a ladder to access it so the cam I buy needs to be rock stable!

As it will be mounted around 5 meters from the ground the viewing angle should cover as much of the space as possible. The Acti has a 4.2 lens and the dericam 4.0. Will it make alot of difference?

Both camera's are very similar but the Dericam has WDR.

What I require is a good nightvision because there is no lighting other then the moon. I will add this camera to my blue iris laptop server to record motion events.

If it's possible viewing on OS X would be welcome too because that is my main laptop.

Should there be other (better) alternatives I'm willing to pay a little more but no more then €300,00. Mind you I have to order cameras within the EU because I live in Belgium. There is a Dahua dealer in Holland but these cams seem more expensive should I want similar to these cams.

Thanks for your advice!

By the way, dome or bullet or ... is not important aslong as I can easily connect the ethernet cable.

I don't have the Dericam H602W but I would think at best it would be comparable to the ACTi E31 which I do have. The ACTi E31 is basically the D31 but it has WDR. If moonlight is all that is available, most of the useful lighting will come from the camera's IR lighting and I probably would turn WDR OFF anyway if it were me. If that is the primary scenario WDR would probably make the image much worse depending on what level you set it at.

If it were me I would get the D31 simply because of the stability issues you mention with the Dericam and b/c WDR probably won't be useful in moonlight. If you can, I would recommend going with the D32...it's a small amount to pay for a jump in resolution.