buellwinkle

3MP Hikvision vs. 1080P Swann/Lorex

Make sure that the activex plug is up to date, remove the old version or just clear it out, try a different browser.

You weren't clear if you tried the reset button.

You can also use direct calls to update params, see here. viewtopic.php?f=19&t=35960

Thanks for the advice. If you mean a physical reset button, then no, I hadn't spotted it. I only had a couple of hours last night to check they were in working order, so I could let the vendor know. I essentially plugged them all into the switch one by one, changed IP, res, checked video, then moved on. The last one is when I hit the snag. Tried the two reset options on the GUI, then went on wild goose chase for the firmware :/.

Ill give the reset button a go and get back to you. Ill also try another PC, however since the first five were ok I didn't suspect the PC/Plugin.

Thanks again for your help.

I purchased the Lorex domes under the assumption it was 3 axis. I am looking to mount on the wall at my front door. You can see where the security cam cable is and that is where it would go. Do you think it would be ok there to capture the front porch? I really do not want to get an arm mount there for this location and i do not want to use one of the bullets either. Thanks.

[attachment=0]front door.JPG[/attachment]

It's hard to tell where the wire is from the picture, but is it in the upper right? Then no, the person would look tilted. Here's why, the camera adjusts up/down, no problem there, it will tilt downwards towards your subject, but when you pan the camera it will rotate say 20-30 degrees to meet the center of the door at the point someone would be at the door (if that's the plan), when you do that, the image itself will rotate too as the pan motion acts like a pivot on an arc. A 3-axis camera would allow you to rotate the lens back to square. You can still use it if you don't mind the tilted person. If you mount the camera at the top of the center of the door where there' no pan adjustment, just tilt, then it would work as you expect.

Edited by Guest

Are you getting bad IR bleed on the domes at night?

I didnt get that far yet I'll report back shortly once I do. So far for a smidge under $165/camera delivered Im very pleased with them.

Hmmmm, a little confused now.

I opened the camera to check if there was a reset button. Didnt find anything, so I put it back together. Thought I'd have another look at the options in the GUI. Software version is still the same (V5.0.0 130412). Tried to change the resolution and IP address, and both worked

Only a couple of this have changed:

1) I opened the camera and closed it

2) Its now the only device on the switch

3) Its been unplugged and off overnight

I can't believe (2) has anything to do with it, since the switch is a Netgear GS724TP, easily capable of powering 6 cams. Infact they only appear to draw 2.8W according to the switch (without IR of course).

I didnt see any reason (trigger switch, etc) which would mean (1) caused this change.

So that leaves me with (3). Interestingly unlike the other cameras (and is camera yesterday) the max frame rate is now showing as 12.5. Has it possibly stored the EU firmware I was trying to upload yesterday, but only flashed it on boot is morning.

Utterly confusing. Hopefully Melinda gets back to me soon with the stock Chinese firmware. If anyone could PM me link to the US firmware I'd greatly appreciate it.

While I had the camera out I stuck it in a cupboard and took a snap so you could see if there was any IR leakage/etc.

The reflection you see in the right hand side is from a jug, I moved rotated the camera to ensure it stuck with the jug and not in the same place on the picture. Obviously the objects are all very close, therefore out of focus.

Sorry I cant do any better right now, Im sitting on my kitchen island and this cupboard is the only dark place within reach of the cables.

192_168.0.16_01_20130606120152688.thumb.jpg.eb0b2ae66ddfcaf68dbe514dd79206bd.jpg

While I had the camera out I stuck it in a cupboard and took a snap so you could see if there was any IR leakage/etc.

The reflection you see in the right hand side is from a jug, I moved rotated the camera to ensure it stuck with the jug and not in the same place on the picture. Obviously the objects are all very close, therefore out of focus.

Sorry I cant do any better right now, Im sitting on my kitchen island and this cupboard is the only dark place within reach of the cables.

Hey, i see some chinese letters on the date, are you able to removle them ?

I haven't really tried, but assume I can. This is the camera I had the problem with the IP address so have reset it to defaults several times. Its off right now (the POE switch is a little noisy), but will have another look at it after I've got through my work emails. So if you want any other snapshots let me know and I'll try my best.

When you open the web page of the camera do you have choice on language in the upper right corner ?

I haven't really tried, but assume I can. This is the camera I had the problem with the IP address so have reset it to defaults several times. Its off right now (the POE switch is a little noisy), but will have another look at it after I've got through my work emails. So if you want any other snapshots let me know and I'll try my best.

I had another quick look at the camera and it appears the chinese text is the day of the week (in this case Thursday). From a quick look I couldn't see a way of setting the language (the language option in the top right appears to be for the GUI only, not the OSD). For now I just turned it off, leaving me with Time/Date/Camera Name, which are all in our alphabet.

When I have more time I'll have another look and let you know if I figure out a way to set the language, so the day of week shows up in English. Although for my needs simply turning it off is sufficient.

Has anyone managed to find a way to have the system email a larger photos of a motion detection? The postage size photos that the lorex system currently emails out are useless.

jf1980, here's the deal I've encountered with the camera on IR light bleed which fooled me at first and Hikvision is aware and working on the problem. When it's close up like you did, and I did the very same thing, you don't get IR light bleed and you think to yourself, this is pretty cool. Then try and shine it out further, like across a complete room, maybe 10-15' away or go outdoors and try it, that's when it got ugly. It seems on other Hikvision domes, the lens which is just loose now has a spring to push it tight against the dome.

jf1980, here's the deal I've encountered with the camera on IR light bleed which fooled me at first and Hikvision is aware and working on the problem. When it's close up like you did, and I did the very same thing, you don't get IR light bleed and you think to yourself, this is pretty cool. Then try and shine it out further, like across a complete room, maybe 10-15' away or go outdoors and try it, that's when it got ugly. It seems on other Hikvision domes, the lens which is just loose now has a spring to push it tight against the dome.

That's a little worrying, I'll try and give it a go later tonight. Nice and sunny out right now (I'm in England incase you're wondering why Im shocked its sunny in June).

Yes, we were just as shocked in So California where we call it June Gloom and it's normal for the sun to not come out until early afternoon for a few hours. But this year, call it global warming or chance, we had a few sunny days. Also ruined our May Gray, we had some 35C/95F days and if it's that hot during May Gray, then I hate to see what summer will be like. May have to go to the Islas Malvinas in S. America to cool off.

I opened the camera to check if there was a reset button. Didnt find anything, so I put it back together. Thought I'd have another look at the options in the GUI. Software version is still the same (V5.0.0 130412). Tried to change the resolution and IP address, and both worked

I can't believe (2) has anything to do with it, since the switch is a Netgear GS724TP, easily capable of powering 6 cams. Infact they only appear to draw 2.8W according to the switch (without IR of course).

I didnt see any reason (trigger switch, etc) which would mean (1) caused this change.

So that leaves me with (3). Interestingly unlike the other cameras (and is camera yesterday) the max frame rate is now showing as 12.5. Has it possibly stored the EU firmware I was trying to upload yesterday, but only flashed it on boot is morning.

Utterly confusing. Hopefully Melinda gets back to me soon with the stock Chinese firmware. If anyone could PM me link to the US firmware I'd greatly appreciate it.

I had a Hik 1080p bullet that I updated to 5.0.0, and ran for a week or so with limited changes to the config pages. After leaving it off for a few days and re-connecting, it prompted me to download a new webcomponents.exe, which gave me a handful of changes to the config pages that definitely weren't there before.

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't restarted both the camera and the PC at the same time, though I can't recall if I powered down the camera, or just rebooted it.

Here's a post with the US download location:

viewtopic.php?p=217811#p217811

One good test of internal IR reflection is to take the camera out in an open space at night and point it straight up into the empty sky. If there's internal IR reflection, you'll see it on the image. If you don't see any, but you see some when it's mounted, you're getting IR reflection from the local environment.

I purchased the Lorex domes under the assumption it was 3 axis. I am looking to mount on the wall at my front door. You can see where the security cam cable is and that is where it would go. Do you think it would be ok there to capture the front porch? I really do not want to get an arm mount there for this location and i do not want to use one of the bullets either. Thanks.

[attachment=0]front door.JPG[/attachment]

It's hard to tell where the wire is from the picture, but is it in the upper right? Then no, the person would look tilted. Here's why, the camera adjusts up/down, no problem there, it will tilt downwards towards your subject, but when you pan the camera it will rotate say 20-30 degrees to meet the center of the door at the point someone would be at the door (if that's the plan), when you do that, the image itself will rotate too as the pan motion acts like a pivot on an arc. A 3-axis camera would allow you to rotate the lens back to square. You can still use it if you don't mind the tilted person. If you mount the camera at the top of the center of the door where there' no pan adjustment, just tilt, then it would work as you expect.

Yes buellwinkle the cable is in the upper right. Everything makes sense in regards to the tilted view. So looks like my best option is to to ceiling mount my camera under the stucco as I can run a new cable through the garage to that location. Thanks for your help.

Yes, ceiling mount is the best choice for 2-axis cameras. I tested Axis speed domes costing $4K that are basically 2-axis.

They do sell wall mounts, not sure if Hikvision makes one specifically for this camera, but there are generic ones. Basically it's like a 6" wide L bracket that you screw into the wall and the camera to the bracket and it makes it level. Also, they make a tear drop shape, used more for speed domes but you can use it with a fixed dome.

I had a Hik 1080p bullet that I updated to 5.0.0, and ran for a week or so with limited changes to the config pages. After leaving it off for a few days and re-connecting, it prompted me to download a new webcomponents.exe, which gave me a handful of changes to the config pages that definitely weren't there before.

The only thing I can think of is that I hadn't restarted both the camera and the PC at the same time, though I can't recall if I powered down the camera, or just rebooted it.

Here's a post with the US download location:

viewtopic.php?p=217811#p217811

One good test of internal IR reflection is to take the camera out in an open space at night and point it straight up into the empty sky. If there's internal IR reflection, you'll see it on the image. If you don't see any, but you see some when it's mounted, you're getting IR reflection from the local environment.

Thanks for that, I'll give the US FW a try later today. I didnt get around to testing the IR last night, hopefully today.

Any update on this?

On what?

The 3MP Hikvision - specifically night vision quality

It has a good IR its more like a spot light

I will post pics later.

Lines in the night was rain

Day.jpg.714fd25aa35d5cecd755a2d437713efc.jpg

Night.jpg.a9e077a2c2d0c607986792d14b51418d.jpg

Awesome, thank you! I was worried the dome would get a lot of IR reflection, but it looks like a winner.

What's your max exposure time on the night shot? That looks much better than the Hik mini-bullet at 1/30 second at night. If this is at 1/30, this will be just what I need for my 2 new cams.