I need a PIR for outdoor. It will be mount in front of garage look out to the street. What kind of PIR work best, brand, model #, prices, places to buy should I look at ?

I just purchased a couple PIR sensors from Optex with good results so far. I needed very specific long and narrow beams (80' by 6') and they were one of the only games in town for my needs, but they were reasonable as far as price and are working good so far. Easy to wire up, good flexibility for ranges and adjustment also. Have to lower sensitivity from the highest as two nights this last week it picked up a big raccoon walking by lol, but picking him at at 40' was pretty cool too. Still testing levels as they are new to me also.

My next one will be the 330' long by 10' wide beam, be interested to try that one.

I purchased mine from Amazon.

Bosch makes an assortment of PIR detectors of varying quality and features from $25 to $100.

Bosch outdoor PIR is above $ 200 out of my budget.

Holy cow, $200, where are you buying this from, the Nordstroms Christmas Catalog, special gold plated edition?

Try Amazon, BOSCH SECURITY ( CCTV ) SYSTEMS OD850F1 D.SYSTEMS A OUTDOOR DETECTOR, it's $118. The Optex is about $71.

For about $24 you can get a Bosch indoor unit and probably work fine outdoors if it's under an eave or sheltered in some way, use some silicone around the edges.

My next one will be the 330' long by 10' wide beam, be interested to try that one.

I installed one on my home several years ago. It's fabulous. It can detect a cat at 300' in total darkness. The sensitivity is adjustable so you can dial it in to alarm on people and not small animals. I have fourteen arrests, mostly for auto burglary, and about half were the results of a 2 am early warning of that one device. I know they are coming before they get to my neighbor's house. By the time they get to my my house, I'm watching them on video while talking to dispatch.

I installed one on my home several years ago. It's fabulous. It can detect a cat at 300' in total darkness. The sensitivity is adjustable so you can dial it in to alarm on people and not small animals. I have fourteen arrests, mostly for auto burglary, and about half were the results of a 2 am early warning of that one device. I know they are coming before they get to my neighbor's house. By the time they get to my my house, I'm watching them on video while talking to dispatch.

This is intresting to me. I will need to look into these pir devices.

Wow, didn't know Pleasanton had so much crime, looked like such a nice place when I was there last.

Actually, crime is extremely low in Pleasanton, which is one reason why residents commonly leave valuables in unlocked cars. My numbers are high because I'm very good at catching auto burglars.

I hear ya, we had 5 car break-ins on one street last year and now that street security has been enhanced with a 6' spiked fence, access control and a Mobotix D14 to watch over the area. No break-ins since

Glad to hear that they work so well, I'm planning on getting a few of the really long range ones at the beginning of next month. I can set them up to trigger an email which is how I have them now, but at night there is no one to really see the email. I can also set it to send a text message, but I'm getting sensitivity dialed in correctly first. Soon we will be a 24 hour a day operation so whoever is working overnight can check them.

Next thing will be to get a phone dialer to actually dial a number and alert a group so we can try and get a few arrests ourselves! Anyone know of a good dialer that can be triggered by a relay from my DVRs?

Hello! I'm new to all this & I am piecing together a simple surveillance system for my home's exterior. Our back yard is around 50' x 50' and I was eyeing this Bosch PIR:

http://resource.boschsecurity.com/documents/Data_sheet_enUS_2604007691.pdf

How does it actually connect/integrate with my surveillance system which I plan to run with:

1. Mac Mini 2.3ghz dual core running Vitamin D.

2. 2 x Dahua HFW2100 Bullets (may add 1-2 more).

3. Zyxel ES1100-8p PoE Switch.

You'll need an alarm input on something. The easy way is with an alarm input on a camera - some cameras have them included, but the HFW2100 doesn't. The 2 and 3 MP Dahua bullets do have them, as do many other cameras.

One option would be to include one camera with an alarm input in a key location and trigger the others off that, assuming Vitamin D supports that.

Some software packages support add-in cards with alarm inputs (Aver, for instance), but you need an expansion slot for that, and I don't believe the Mini has one. I don't know if there are any USB based alarm inputs at all, or ones that Vitamin D would work with if they exist.

Thank you for this valuable information. I guess I'll have to get me at least 1 of the 2MP ip cams.

You'll need an alarm input on something. The easy way is with an alarm input on a camera - some cameras have them included, but the HFW2100 doesn't. The 2 and 3 MP Dahua bullets do have them, as do many other cameras.

One option would be to include one camera with an alarm input in a key location and trigger the others off that, assuming Vitamin D supports that.

Some software packages support add-in cards with alarm inputs (Aver, for instance), but you need an expansion slot for that, and I don't believe the Mini has one. I don't know if there are any USB based alarm inputs at all, or ones that Vitamin D would work with if they exist.

I tried the camera motion sensors & was getting several hundred notifications per day. I then switched to PIRs & all the false alarms disappeared. I use the PIRMD PIR PIR. Which is very cheap, you can't beat $14. I currently have a couple of these monitoring the front & back entrances. They connect to several of the Dahua NVR3216 16 alarm inputs. The NVR sends me email notification. In addition to the PIRs, the NVR also connects to several ES-Stal strobe lights via the NVRs alarm output ports. I have multiple strobe lights per room, in multiple rooms. From any room in the house I can tell if there is someone in the front or back of the house. Based on the motion sensor that is triggered, I also have Microsoft Outlook send a snapshot URL to the IP cameras around the triggered zone. I am still trying to get the NVR to send snapshots attachments in the email notification.

Kifaru, your link won't work here. The owner of the place you linked to got into a disagreement with the owner of this site and references to it now get censored and turned into a period.

The Optex and Bosch look great, but unfortunately look like they will require a separate power source. My Axis has PoE - but with 3Vdc out to power another device such as PIR. It would be nice to take advantage of this. What is interesting is that some Optex are battery operated and in fact work on 3Vdc. I could always use the batts, or remove the batts and run wire from the Axis power out to the Optex since they'll work on the 3Vdc. Has anyone tried this or is aware of any models with 3Vdc power requirements?

I have used the 9V Optex wireless PIR. They are designed to work with a wireless alarm such as Inovonics. The PIR runs about a year on a 9V.

Best,

Christopher