Hi,

I'm interested does anyone have any first hand experiences with Sunell cameras?

Sunell seems a little known manufacturer. I can't seem to find any reviews, image samples or anything for that matter. Nobody talks about Sunell!

However their cameras seem to have a pretty decent specifications. I'm basically trying to decide should I buy their SN-IPS54/60DR/Z18 model (http://www.sunellsecurity.com/jy_product_read.asp?proid=1214&SortID=62&nsortID=275) which seems to cover my needs. Local distributor in my country sells that model for 900$.

And I can't seem to find any competitor offering such specifications for that amount of money... Equal cameras from others cost in a range from 1200 - 1500 $

So Sunell, yes or no?

(My use case would be a constant patrolling mode to give a panoramic overview of the city for public visitors.)

Also if someone has a Sunell camera, I'm wondering about one specific thing: Does it have a snapshot URL or mjpeg that I can easily embed in my website? Without flash or ActiveX plugins.

Thank you all in advance!

The problem with unknown brands is you may not be able to get common NVR software to work with it, especially PTZ and support and service may be difficult. Price is not that good because it's just VGA resolution. So here's the competition -

Dahua - about $700-1,100 depending on resolution

ACTi - about $2,000 for 1080P for the KCM-8200

Panasonic - range from $1,000 to $2,000 depending on resolution

Axis - range from $1,000 to 4,000 depending on resolution/features

Thanks for the reply.

Well I thought if it is Onvif compliant that it should be ok? So still interested in Sunell...

Anyhow I have trouble finding online retailers that ship worldwide (I'm in Europe) for Dahua or ACTi. Also the prices I see are all higher than 1300 $. So I'm very interested what could I buy from Dahua for 700$.

Could you post some links of shops? If it is inappropriate here on the forum, could you please send them to me via a private message?

PM sent for sources from China for Dahua PTZ cameras.

Which ONVIF version is it?

Also, you do realize this camera is not PoE, it's 24V.

Thanks for the PM!

Well they(Sunell) do not specify which Onvif version is it. :-/ ... I thought that even Onvif 1.0 supported PTZ controls...

what I found on their website is this:

3rd Party Software News

Sunell is delighted to let customers know we are making our own testing on some of the world’s leading IP software company’s products. Below is just the validated list of working products using Onvif or Native Sunell native support.

Milestone Xprotect, Nuuo, Axxon, Aimetis, 3VR are currently all validated with Sunell Cameras.

http://www.milstonesys.com ; http://www.nuuo.com ; http://www.aimetis.com ; http://www.axxon.com ; www.3vr.com

Customers are reminded Sunell provide full OEM branding on IP products giving your company that unique identity in the IP camera market. Contact your local sales representative for full details.

If you have a lot more time than money, it's always a learning experience to work with little known brands with limited technical support, and learning is good.

If you want to get a camera up and running with the option of using a variety of software solutions, it's often worth spending more for a brand that's well known and commonly used, as community support can be very useful when the manufacturer can't help.

ok im interested...where does one get pricing for their line. Looks like its all china and nothing here in the states or on alibaba

Happen to know this brand pretty well.

It is a reputable brand in China, based in Shenzhen.

Not really in the league of Hikvision or Dahua but in my opinion, thier products especially the IP range are of good quality and reasonably priced.

All their IP products conform to ONVIF Profile S 2.0 test specifications. I have tested them with several VMSs including Milestone, Axxon, Genetec, NUUO and Almetis and all work well. Also no problem with PTZ controls with all these VMSs.

The only complain I have is the aesthetics and finishing of their outdoor speed dome range.

Functional wise their products are reliable and stable, and with very good imaging quality especially the Exmor sensor range.

My 2 cents.

Instead of the standard definition range, you may want to consider the 720P (70 series) or 1080P (80 series).

Their 720P series speed dome is using the Sony IT1 sensor while the 1080P is using Sony 1/2.8" Exmor sensor. Both ranges are very competitively priced.

To embed the image/video on the website, you can download the SDK:

http://www.sunellsecurity.com/jy_download_read.asp?qid=21

Hi,

I'm interested does anyone have any first hand experiences with Sunell cameras?

Sunell seems a little known manufacturer. I can't seem to find any reviews, image samples or anything for that matter. Nobody talks about Sunell!

However their cameras seem to have a pretty decent specifications. I'm basically trying to decide should I buy their SN-IPS54/60DR/Z18 model (http://www.sunellsecurity.com/jy_product_read.asp?proid=1214&SortID=62&nsortID=275) which seems to cover my needs. Local distributor in my country sells that model for 900$.

And I can't seem to find any competitor offering such specifications for that amount of money... Equal cameras from others cost in a range from 1200 - 1500 $

So Sunell, yes or no?

(My use case would be a constant patrolling mode to give a panoramic overview of the city for public visitors.)

Also if someone has a Sunell camera, I'm wondering about one specific thing: Does it have a snapshot URL or mjpeg that I can easily embed in my website? Without flash or ActiveX plugins.

Thank you all in advance!

Didn't see that in your original post about embedding the camera on your website. I have a blog article on my website on one simple free way of doing this. Can't really do this from an SDK/CGI/URL because many cameras will prompt the user for a user/password to get a stream or snapshot and most will require an ActiveX control since RTSP is not something that a web browser understand, that's why you have to re-stream the RTSP to RTMP, hence my article. If you just want a snapshot then see if the camera can do scheduled FTP of an image to your website, say once every few minutes and use a fixed name but very few cameras allow this, the exception would be Axis and Mobotix that I've used for this purpose.

I've tried other methods like using VLC to re-stream RTSP to RTMP but it's buggy, not smooth clear video. I also tried BlueIris and it works well if you have that software already. If you are serious about it, Wowsa is more of a commercial solution, but if you are pinching pennies on the camera, I doubt you want to look at Wowsa. Also, there's re-streaming services like ustream.tv and it's free with adverts and pay a bunch without.

Hello,

Actually, I have saw the sunell quality on site, which is good for optical performance. But as one mentioned, you better check NVR/NAS you picked up does sunell compliant? Even under ONVIF, it does not mean all brands could shaking hand.

We have tested Sunell cameras successfully with most of the popular VMSs eg. Milestone, Genetec, Axxon Almetis, Exaqvision, NUUO etc. via the ONVIF interface.

The Full HD 20X speed dome is using the Sony 1/2.8" Exmor sensor and you can't complain about is image quality.

tS-sCihmkO8

The footage is seems good but only day time is poor to prove it general character is fine. And I saw all scene is located in China.

As for you claim comply for most VMS i.e. Milestone.... I do not think its affordable compliance. Maybe let me check all conformant list in each one.

Suppose you know that almost all current models of Full HD speed domes/PTZ are all based on Sony 1/2.8" Exmor CMOS sensor, so all of them should have pretty good night performance.

Yes the scene is from Shenzhen China, I hope you are not implying that anything from China is not of good quality. In my opinion, these days China makers produce much better products than Taiwan, technology and quality wise. Name me a Taiwanese company that produces better products than Hikvision, Dahua and Sunell, definitely not Vivotek, Geovision, or ACTi

Not sure what do you mean by "affordable compliance", but we have installed close to 500 channels of Milestone VMS with Sunell products using ONVIF interface and so far so good.

The footage is seems good but only day time is poor to prove it general character is fine. And I saw all scene is located in China.

As for you claim comply for most VMS i.e. Milestone.... I do not think its affordable compliance. Maybe let me check all conformant list in each one.

Suppose you know that almost all current models of Full HD speed domes/PTZ are all based on Sony 1/2.8" Exmor CMOS sensor, so all of them should have pretty good night performance.

Yes the scene is from Shenzhen China, I hope you are not implying that anything from China is not of good quality. In my opinion, these days China makers produce much better products than Taiwan, technology and quality wise. Name me a Taiwanese company that produces better products than Hikvision, Dahua and Sunell, definitely not Vivotek, Geovision, or ACTi

Not sure what do you mean by "affordable compliance", but we have installed close to 500 channels of Milestone VMS with Sunell products using ONVIF interface and so far so good.

Why utilized SONY Exmor would be good in the night? And I never think Hikvision and Dahua is good art at Camera ever. As above mentioned, Sunel is fine I have seen. Actuallu, I think most professional SI, installer would be agree with vivotek and acti is better.

Dedicated to you a hard working sales rep.

Dear Joseph,

I am sure you can't disagree with me that Sony Exmor sensor is by far the best performing CMOS image sensor in low light.

I did have great respect for Taiwanese hardware product quality previously, especially during 80s/90s when their laptop PCs were regarded as the best quality.

In fact I started playing with Vivotek cameras as far back as 2003, and actually was distributing ACTi cameras in my country from 2005 to 2007.

Vivotek was in trouble after it went public, when many of its pioneers left the company after cashing out their shares. Without a good R&D team Vivotek was falling behind from 2006 to 2008.

And then I quit ACTi in 2008 after realising that it has 40 to 60 sale4s staff, but less than 5 R&D engineers.

Try to guess how big is the R&D and product teams in Hikvision and Dahua?

Why utilized SONY Exmor would be good in the night? And I never think Hikvision and Dahua is good art at Camera ever. As above mentioned, Sunel is fine I have seen. Actuallu, I think most professional SI, installer would be agree with vivotek and acti is better.

Dedicated to you a hard working sales rep.

Greetings to everyone,

I am the product director at Sunell in China, just before you wonder I am English.

I like to clarify just a few items, firstly Sunell has been in CCTV for over 12years, we are widely known professional CCTV manufacturer.

I be more than happy to answer any questions relating to Sunell products or queries in this forum.

thanks for your time.

I like the sunell range of cameras, most models has an easy to use RCA plug for audio, something that's hard to find for Hikvision or Dahua. And ONVIF works ok...