PaulfromCT

Costco 1080p Swann Bullets VS Lorex 1080p Domes

I purchased the Costco Swann bullets and after getting them configured was very impressed with their day and night video quality (compared to the 1080 Q-See Dome <-- AWFUL @ low light and Dahua Bullet I had installed prior). But then the Lorex Domes came out and I gave them a shot. I prefer the domes for the Anti-Broomstick vandal protection. I was worried about the IR Bleed/reflection with the domes, but surprisingly the night vision seems better with the domes. I thought these cameras had pretty much identical innards, but look at the attached pictures. These cameras are located in the same proximity with similar lighting. The Lorex doesn't have nearly as much noise at night (especially the horizontal lines). I have played with all of the settings. Any ideas?

During the day both cameras perform exceptionally well. I plan to keep the bullets and just put them on the upper eaves of the house (out of reach) and leave the domes for the lower eaves. I just wish someone could come up with a high frequency that would emit from the cameras to deter the spiders! They are a PITA with the IR!

PS: I tried to add the file at normal definition, but the site made me downsize to 500kb. At full size the noise is very noticeable on the Swann bullet.

929191823_SwannbulletVSLorexDome.thumb.PNG.a4d83a967fb2f8ce696fbf69d4ebbc91.PNG

Do you have noise reduction enabled on either of these images?

On mine that are in almost total darkness I have it enabled and set to 100, it really cuts out the noise.

Do you have noise reduction enabled on either of these images?

On mine that are in almost total darkness I have it enabled and set to 100, it really cuts out the noise.

On the Swann driveway cam i have the noise reduction at 75, on the Lorex front porch i have it at 50. I tried upping the setting to 100 on the driveway cam and it cut out some noise (mostly the bugs). Still have the distinctive horizontal lines/noise. Going to swap out the swann driveway cam with the other Lorex dome cam tomorrow to see the difference (apples to apples environmental wise)

Are they both set for the same maximum exposure time? The bullet shows noise at 1/30 sec if the light's low, and gets much better as you increase to 1/12 or 1/6.

I just wish someone could come up with a high frequency that would emit from the cameras to deter the spiders! They are a PITA with the IR

If that's just IR light on the driveway, I gotta say that is some strong IR- the best I've seen from a single dome! But this is why I would be that much more strategic about white light, how I place and aim the cameras near that light, and the camera choice itself. Perhaps even trying a daylight setting to keep the IR off if there was enough white light. I know it's a difficult compromise considering what's available at affordable price points. But this is something I would no longer deal with. The dahua 2mp mini domes do well enough at night, without one web to muck things up- but it takes white light to wake them up. I know you didn't prefer them for your situation, but going for an IR camera is a tough one. In the end the spiders always win, unfortunately.

1949694251_Night1.thumb.jpg.87984c434fcc9a3093ae994a9f4ef3ee.jpg

138615257_Night2.thumb.jpg.aaf299d46ed34369718ad5d51a95d3eb.jpg

Can you turn the ir off on the interface? I'm like Shockwave and don't like ir in a dome, but i was posed the question of," If the power where to be cut or go out,with having the cams on backup power, wouldn't you want the ir to kick in?" Not everyone wants external ir housings placed around their property plus the added cost.

I find with these cameras, there's a direct relationship between WDR setting and noise. Are both of these cameras set the same WDR strength or off?

Can you turn the ir off on the interface? I'm like Shockwave and don't like ir in a dome, but i was posed the question of," If the power where to be cut or go out,with having the cams on backup power, wouldn't you want the ir to kick in?" Not everyone wants external ir housings placed around their property plus the added cost.

If the webs haven't been kept up with and cleaned away, it won't matter. And even if they have, 2am a spider can simply sit right in front of the lens and completely wipe out the shot. They do it on two of my cameras almost every night. A separate IR fixture is the only way, if IR is needed.

That's why I actually bug spray around my cameras. I have no issues with spiders or bugs. Just gotta be aware that if you get it on the lens you need to wipe it off

That's why I actually bug spray around my cameras. I have no issues with spiders or bugs. Just gotta be aware that if you get it on the lens you need to wipe it off

What kind do you use? I am curious if that doesn't leave some visible stains on the house?

First off, thank you for all the responses. Forums like these are so incredibly helpful. I didn't get a chance to swap out the camera today due my "honey do list".

MaxIcon: I will try to change the maximum exposure time on the bullet. I just don't want to impact daytime performance.

Shockwave: I have a double halogen flood on the driveway. At dusk it automatically turns on (VERY low level) and goes full blown (300 watts) when there is motion. I definitely gave the 2MP Dahua a shot as I didn't want IR. But my landscape lights and the low level floods just didn't provide enough light. Maybe because of where the lights were I could not position the camera correctly. From your pictures, that looks amazing w/o IR. I am doing a job where there is plenty of ambient light and will give some of the better low light/non IR cameras a shot. However, there is nothing like reviewing the camera footage and see that spider slowly lower itself in front of the camera.

Blake: Yes, you can turn the IR on and off by tripping the DAY/NIGHT/AUTO switch.

Buellwinkle: The driveway cam has WDR off. The porch has it on at a low level (6) because of the different light levels (under porch and in front yard) in the same frame.

Zikronix: Thank you for that info. I am going to invest in some Cykick. I am likely going to relocate the Bullets to the higher eves and it would be nice to avoid the webs. No fun to hang out second story window to clean a cam.

I think I've seen everything now as far as ads and Amazon goes. I Googled CyKick and the first hit was an Amazon ad that stated "Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin is the multi-use insecticide designed for professionals like yourself". I repeat- on AMAZON. And it comes in AEROSOL. Sorry, must stop giggling.

UPDATE: I knocked the exposure down to 1/12 (next stop down from 1/30) and saw an extreme drop in vertical noise @ night with IR.

What is so different between the IR/nightime vision in the bullet vs the dome (besides the obvious)? I am worried that I will get some blur with a 1/12.

Update.thumb.PNG.314b74027196fb83a5551a890b78c0a8.PNG

I think I've seen everything now as far as ads and Amazon goes. I Googled CyKick and the first hit was an Amazon ad that stated "Cy-Kick CS Controlled Release Cyfluthrin is the multi-use insecticide designed for professionals like yourself". I repeat- on AMAZON. And it comes in AEROSOL. Sorry, must stop giggling.

DO NOT BUY THE ARESOL. LOL

Cykick is a professional grade product, maybe illegal in your state for un licensed people to possess (doubtful, but they always say that)

If you spray, spray a kinda fine mist, try to spray the camera body and mounting shaft and a circle around it. IF you live in a hot, humid, or wet location. you will need to do it monthly for the first three months. Then every other month. Unless it rains a couple times a month, then monthly.

If you decide to use it on your house in general. Spray a kinda coarse mist, 2ft up the wall and 2ft out. supplement with delta gard granules (after you lay the granules go over them with a light spray of water In the winter unless it snows. Every two months is usually ok. Once again Supplement with the granules.

if you spray in the house. fine mist across thresholds in side and out and on top of the thresholds. fine mist along the base boards/floor. spray underneath fridge and stove. DO NOT SOAK CARPET.

If you have a baby dilute to 1.5 oz per gallon, and spray inside...DO NOT SPRAY close or around their toys. You can spray the bottom of their crib. The say its non toxic after it drys...Im not about to go lick the floor and find out

you can also use Suspend SC which is the same stuff as the granules, so you usually don't want to use them together.

Source: Buddy used to do pest control on the side!

I have not tried that stuff- I'll have to see if I can even get it. But typcially where I am, we get enough rain during each week or so that anything I've tried thus far around the cameras just weakens so much that you have to reapply too frequently. And that becomes more of a pain than just doing a nightly web sweep and hoping for the best overnight. The spiders literally drop from the tress. I can't see spending more money on MP cameras and put up with that. I know I sound like a broken record about it so I'll say no more because in a lot of situations for people it can't be helped. But I won't be upgrading my analog system at home because of this until it makes sense to do so, lighting wise.

Btw- the new settings look good on those cameras but make sure motion blurr is low. Maybe post a short video with movement in the shot to see how it's doing.

I have not tried that stuff- I'll have to see if I can even get it. But typcially where I am, we get enough rain during each week or so that anything I've tried thus far around the cameras just weakens so much that you have to reapply too frequently. And that becomes more of a pain than just doing a nightly web sweep and hoping for the best overnight. The spiders literally drop from the tress. I can't see spending more money on MP cameras and put up with that. I know I sound like a broken record about it so I'll say no more because in a lot of situations for people it can't be helped. But I won't be upgrading my analog system at home because of this until it makes sense to do so, lighting wise.

Btw- the new settings look good on those cameras but make sure motion blurr is low. Maybe post a short video with movement in the shot to see how it's doing.

I promise you cykick will not let you down!

Where do you get it?

you can buy it from amazon and others...but I buy it local from the bug and weed mart usually cause its actually cheaper

Replaced the front driveway Swann Bullet with the Lorex Dome, much improved even with the 1/30 setting. Plus the dome gets better approval from the wife (less "noticeable"). Time to check out the Cykick.

598654817_LorexDomesinFront.thumb.PNG.c6ea38df8fd12defd3183c248b00e505.PNG

I find with these cameras, there's a direct relationship between WDR setting and noise. Are both of these cameras set the same WDR strength or off?

I'm finding that fine-tuning my motion is a bit challenging. I understand the principles and have been very strategic in selecting the portions of the image that are sensitive, but for almost all of my cams, there are so many shadows from moving plants and or trees. Primarily on my neighbor's property - that leave long shadows of "motion" on my driveway, fence, etc. I may have to just live with that. When the wind isn't blowing (like a gale lately), it settles down really well & I like the performance.

I have WDR set to varying degrees on my cams - none more than 35-40 on a scale to 100. How much noise (in low light) does WDR induce? Wouldn't it be sweet to set a profile that could disable WDR in the evenings! Not on these Swann (Hik) bullets.

Here's the image menu from inside the camera:

Other than turning off WDR - or perhaps setting the level to no more than 20 out of 100, what improvement might I see from increasing the Noise Reduction to a level greater than the default 50?? What impact will that have to the image? Is there a trade-off?

Thx!

327496276_ImageSettingsInCamera.JPG.fea177b8ac0a5aa44698a863836adccc.JPG

I have my outdoor camera where WDR is enabled, the noise reduction is set to 100.

You can disable motion detection during the night. Reduce the number of active motion squares on the grid to a minimum.

I have my outdoor camera where WDR is enabled, the noise reduction is set to 100.

You can disable motion detection during the night. Reduce the number of active motion squares on the grid to a minimum.

I would verify to make sure that you don't have soft video