Sign in to follow this  
tome9999

Is this the Lorex sold at Costco? Temp rating is only 14F

I wonder what happens when it gets that low? I didnt notice this until after I placed the order and I am sure they will go below this temp where I am placing them

I think it should be okay.Remember the camera running will create it's own heat.

I think it should be okay.Remember the camera running will create it's own heat.

These canmers run very warm...just short of "hot" IMHO.

The ratings already take into consideration the heat generated by the camera. If it isn't rated for temps below its actual environment what will happen is that the unit won't be kept warm enough and condensation will form inside the housing. This may cause fogging, or it may not be immediately apparent, but over time it will cause problems.

People here say that this is the equivalent camera, both made by Hikvision.

http://www.hikvision.com/en/products_show.asp?id=7326

Much lower temperatures are listed in that camera specs. minus 22 deg F.

I have used a camera that could operate to minus 4 deg F. At about that temperature the sensor stopped working, and a little bit lower, I couldn't communicate. But as the temps rose, it worked again.

Maybe the Hikvision version has a heater inside and the Lorex spec'ed out cheaper components in theirs. Just get the Swann at Costco, it's rated a more reasonable -4F to 140F.

has anyone tried putting some of those little silica packets inside the camera for the condensation?

Those are kinda standard "engineering" increments... 14 F is -10 C, and -22 F is -30 C. We (USA) are an island of F in an ocean of C so the converted values give an impression of accuracy.

Temp specs are usually conservative and rounded to these benchmark figures. Rating product temps is not a very exact science. While I have no insight on the cameras, I find that electronics prefer cold to heat, and not counting any motors, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

has anyone tried putting some of those little silica packets inside the camera for the condensation?

They have them inside already.

They have them inside already.

lol someone is already ahead of me

Temp specs are usually conservative and rounded to these benchmark figures. Rating product temps is not a very exact science. While I have no insight on the cameras, I find that electronics prefer cold to heat, and not counting any motors, I wouldn't give them a second thought.

Actually, it IS an exact science. JEDEC JESD22-A104 (and MIL-STD-883 for military and aerospace) specify testing procedures to determine the operating temperature range specification for electronics. Some manufacturers test according to these standards before posting specifications.

Whether or not these manufacturers follow the standards is another issue.

Tom

The problem with these is they work until they become saturated. If the camera isn't sealed and heated in a cold climate that will happen very quickly and the desiccant becomes useless.

Tom

Those are in the camera to absorb the moisture that is in the air when it is sealed up during production, or when you take it apart to change the lens.