DavidH

decent camera or not and NAS or PC

Hi just new and need some advice as I really know nothing much.

I am replacing a 4 x 720TVL analogue system and was thinking of 4 of these

http://www.securitycamera2000.com/products/Outdoor-5-Megapixels-Sensor-Full-HD-1080P-Waterproof-IP-Camera-40m-IR.html?setCurrencyId=2

Are they any good in your opinion?

I also need to store the data from them would that be ok to a PC or would I need a high performance NAS and what NAS do you guys recommend?

Final one is there a way I can output the picture from the NAS/PC to my TV amplifier so I can see the CCTV picture on any of my TV's? At present I can do this with a second output from my analogue jpeg2000 DVR via an RF modulator but have no idea if that possible from the digital system

Thanks for any information been reading a lot on here and really have a brain meltdown with far too much information.

David

Pick a camera that at least has a brand name of some kind, ACTi/Axis/Hikvision/etc.

Otherwise with an IP camera, you'll have no idea why it won't work, as it depends on working software inside.

One solution could be the usage of a NVR.

The NVR does the storage and, also, decodes and displays the stream/streams from the IP Cameras. Depending on your solution, you could modulate the TV output of the NVR (bare in mind to look for one with a TV out and also that you will lose quality) or use another way to convert analog VGA or digital HDMI (maybe DVB-T). 3rd option is to attach an Android stick/box to your TV and use a client to decode the streams from the NVR/IPC; this way you'll also get the advantage of the posibility what camera(s)/stream you want to display

The other difference is that the NVR initiate the connection to the IPC rather than the IPC connecting to a NAS, thus allowing it to easily monitor&manage the system (just like an analogue DVR does).

Anyway, you should always double check that the NVR and the IPCameras are compatible.

Thanks very much for the information that has really helped me work some of it out in my head. Do you have any recommendations for a NAS or possibly an NVR instead of the NAS? Dlink, synology, Qnap etc.? and what sort of data throughput do you think I would need. I am planning on having the IPC ticking over at a low frame rate then increasing on motion detection to what ever they are able to max to. With my analogue system they record 4fps then jump to 30fps (i think) once motion is detected, this allows the present 500gb drive to last over 1 month.

Cheers again

David