evnldr

Lorex 1080P NVR from Costco (NVR firmware Question)

My question is with all the talk of firmware on the cameras, anybody think of looking in to the firmware on the NVR. Maybe we could use the Hikvision firmware to gain more camera support?

Is it the same as the 7608NI-SE?

Just a thought.

Jason

it is the same however the hikvision is only in Chinese and the cameras are still flashed with a lorex custom firmware, and even after flashing them they report as lorex.

additionally if you flash the nvr firmware there is a password recovery step you must go though that requires a call to lorex and hikvision wont help you out directly.

I can confirm that LOREX LNR280 is a HIKVISION DS-7608NI-SE/P and it can be flashed with HIKVISION multi-language firmware.

I bought this kit at costco and also flashed 2 of the 4 cameras with the HIKVISION firmware.

I was able to acces all the camera (LOREX AND HIKVISION protocols) and also put the flashed ones in 2048*1536. To change the resolution in the nvr you mush got first in the cam web page and select the 2048*1536 resolution. Also the 2048*1536 resolution seem to be real as I can see more detail when i zoom the cam.

I played like 2 days with the system, rebooted it a couple time and turned it off to beguin to pass cat5 in the attic of our shop. I was concerned with humidity in the attic during winter and i tried to put dielectric grease in one of the cam connector. So plugged the cam in the NRV, and turned it back on, but i was not able to access it.

I first beguin to think about a short circuit using the grease, but after i tried with a 48V poe injector on a separate switch, i was able to log in all the cams. Note: look like the cam remember the last ip - i was not able to access the default 192.0.0.64 ip but the i had to use the last ip for each cam when the nvr was working)

I then decided to plug one cam back in the NVR. The small ir led turned on during booting, so i know that i got power. I pluged a computer on the same subnet on the NVR and im also able to access the cam web page trought this computer. The green and amber led flash on the rear on the poe switch. The power seem to be ok.

I dont know if my problem is in relation with the flashed firmware (which was working) or the grease on the connector). I will be curious to reflash it with lorex firmware but dont have it.

I paid 800 $ for the NVR and the 4 cameras, but for our outdoor application, i got too many motion alarm to be reliable.

For this reason, i decided to buy the swann kit for 1000 $ with the 4 camera and use alarm input with PIR sensor. This was before the lorex NVR stopped working.

My original plan was to flash all my cam and use 6 of them in the swann and 2 of them in the lorex and another location. But now that i got thoses problems, i dont know if it will be better to return the lorex at costco and just keep the swann and add more cams later.

I'm pretty sure that the swann NVR is a DS-7608NI-SP in another case. There is a different firmware for the lower end 7600-SE series, but it seem to be all the same firmware from 7600-NI to 9600 series.

If anybody have a clue why it stropped working, i will be glad to ear you.

Did you notice any improvements besides the higher camera resolution with the Hikvision NVR and Camera firmware over Lorex's?

Main difference is the resolution up to 5mp and being able to use camera from other vendors (you can choose from a list or setup a custom protocol)

From what others say on forum you cant interchange swann and lorex cam on both stock nvr.

For my problem, it look like its the plug and play that its not working anymore.

What you guys thinks about dielectric grease? I still have power on port. The switch is working as i can connect to cam web page from a laptop connected in the nvr port on same subnet. Look like the nvr is not communicating with poe ports or a config problem.

Did you put the grease on the Rj45 connectors? There is a chance that you shorted them together.

Did you try resetting the camera, with the button on the back?

Can you connect to the camera when its plugged into the NVR-POE port?

Plug your local LAN into an unused NVR-POE port, aswell as the NVR-LAN port.

Main difference is the resolution up to 5mp and being able to use camera from other vendors (you can choose from a list or setup a custom protocol)

This is what I was after.

it is the same however the hikvision is only in Chinese and the cameras are still flashed with a lorex custom firmware, and even after flashing them they report as lorex.

additionally if you flash the nvr firmware there is a password recovery step you must go though that requires a call to lorex and hikvision wont help you out directly.

Any source that references this. As a member has flashed his NVR and is having an unknown issue.

Any source that references this. As a member has flashed his NVR and is having an unknown issue.

Yes flashing the swann, and a previous lorex I had caused this. its documented on their website and you need to use the sadp tool form hikvision to get the unique password, however they wont help you cause its not an oem nvr

Did you put the grease on the Rj45 connectors? There is a chance that you shorted them together.

Did you try resetting the camera, with the button on the back?

Can you connect to the camera when its plugged into the NVR-POE port?

Plug your local LAN into an unused NVR-POE port, aswell as the NVR-LAN port.

I put the gease in the female RJ45 camera connector. Wisp seem to use dielectric grease in RJ45 connectors of customers equipment. I used grote dielectric grease. Its labelled as non conductive and i never get any trouble putting this stuff in automotive ecm connector.

If the RJ45 got shorted, the cam still work as im able to access it if i plug a computer in unused poe cam port. So the poe work, the switch work also as im able to ping adress and access it from a computer. It just the communication between the nvr and internal poe port thans dont work.

Local network 192.168.1.107 (nrv address)

Internal nic (poe ports) 192.168.2.1

From hik manual, if you select manual, you remove the poe power to a port to use a cam on the local network. I will try this. When you select plug an play you can't change anything to settings.

I tried reset. But maybe i didnt hood it enought.. An another idea is to reset the cam to default.

shouldn't the cams be 192.168.1.xxx

I'm new to nvr's bur id think they would need to be on same network.

If the RJ45 got shorted, the cam still work as im able to access it if i plug a computer in unused poe cam port. So the poe work, the switch work also as im able to ping adress and access it from a computer. It just the communication between the nvr and internal poe port thans dont work.

Internal nic (poe ports) 192.168.2.1

From hik manual, if you select manual, you remove the poe power to a port to use a cam on the local network. I will try this. When you select plug an play you can't change anything to settings.

I tried reset. But maybe i didnt hood it enought.. An another idea is to reset the cam to default.

I use manual on mine, POE still works.

The Lorex NVR doesn't specifically require that the camera IP addresses are set to anything. By default the cameras have dhcp disabled, they use another Ethernet layer to communicate.

I use manual on mine, POE still works.

The Lorex NVR doesn't specifically require that the camera IP addresses are set to anything. By default the cameras have dhcp disabled, they use another Ethernet layer to communicate.

What you mean by other ethernet layer, do they use model or name to communicated or not ?

I dont thing that lorex is broken... All was working and i rebooted it a couple time... when i flashed firmware, the NVR that now show as HIKVISION, remembered all the previous settings: static ip of nvr... etc... Maybe its when i powered it down that my trouble beguin. The flashed hikvision cam still show as Lorex and maybe that why plug and play dont work... To bad i cant make it work.... saving to nas, up to 5mp, others cams support, PTZ. Anyone here have experience setting manual cam, i tried but was not able to make it work.

I received the swann today and it make less noise than lorex and alarm ports seem to be cool. It's not the same motherboard in the swann (DS-80068) as the lorex board is DS-80109 but they seem to share the board for the PEO ports (DS-8057 rev 1.2 but the swann is DS-8057-Y rev 1.2). The swann seem to not detect lorex stock or flashed cam. Maybe the NVR look for protocol or name of unit to connect or not.

Anyone know where we can buy hik device... maybe it the way to go as it will support any brand of cam, nas receording, and higher resolution cam.

So Cams don't have to be on the same network?

Example.

192.168.1.100 Home PC (Local network)

192.168.1.107 NVR

192.168.1.110 Cam 1

192.168.1.111 Cam 2 ect.

I'm setting mine up monday.

Example.

192.168.1.107 NVR

192.168.1.110 Cam 1

192.168.1.111 Cam 2 ect.

As long as you change the cam to use dhcp and manually add them they get be on either LAN.

You can connect both the nvr-lan and the nvr-poe-lan to your lan.

If i choose same sub net for internal nic and nvr i got a error msg about conflic and not able to save.

Joey, how you put poe port on same network, you connect one of thoses ports to the network ?

Anyone is able to connect lorex cam in swann nvr and vise versa? How the plug and play work?

Example.

192.168.1.107 NVR

192.168.1.110 Cam 1

192.168.1.111 Cam 2 ect.

As long as you change the cam to use dhcp and manually add them they get be on either LAN.

You can connect both the nvr-lan and the nvr-poe-lan to your lan.

I checked your diagram and understand what you mean. But if you put them all on the same subnet, what is your setting for the internal nic setting in the nvr?

I will try to add cam manually on the stock swann. You just add it and select lorex or swann as protocol and give the ip adress of the camera ?. I tried on the flashed lorex and it dont seem to work. Maybe because the protocol is now hikvision and not lorex. Look like when you flash a cam it continue to show as lorex. Any one here was able to connect manually lorex to swann nvr or vise versa ?

I checked your diagram and understand what you mean. But if you put them all on the same subnet, what is your setting for the internal nic setting in the nvr?

I will try to add cam manually on the stock swann. You just add it and select lorex or swann as protocol and give the ip adress of the camera ?. I tried on the flashed lorex and it dont seem to work. Maybe because the protocol is now hikvision and not lorex. Look like when you flash a cam it continue to show as lorex. Any one here was able to connect manually lorex to swann nvr or vise versa ?

The NVR's network settings are DHCP in my system, I have a reserved DHCP address in my router that gives out the same IP address/DNS/gateway each time.

See the two images here.

I do not know if the Swann system will act the same as the Lorex, but I think it would.

Are you using the hikvision firmware in the NVR and the cameras?

Can you edit the cameras in the camera management section, add/delete cameras in the Hikvision NVR version of the firmware?

In the Lorex version it is for display only, I have to do this via their windows app or on the local UI with a monitor connected.

I have not flashed any camera myself, as I don't have the Lorex firmware to put back on in case I have to.

I'm not sure of the protocols required on the systems for communication, have you tried manual settings and the ONVIF option?

Untitled.jpg.73c028357fb4b1d47972f6b4f4d51978.jpg

Untitled.jpg.d3df530fd7745572c4c2f51fd771077b.jpg

I confirm that you can use LOREX bullet cam flashed with HIKVISION firmware in the swann NVR.

Maybe someone can try with no flashed cam, i bet it will also work.

You first need to access the cam config web page and setup the ip on your local lan ie (192.168.1.xxx)

You then need to connect the NVR with your local LAN on both the LAN port and one of the POE ports of the NVR. (as Joey told 2 cables from your switch or router go in the NVR)

After this you need to go to cam setting, edit, choose manual and specify the ip address of the cam. You leave the protocol to swann.

I wonder if the Lorex = Swann = Hikvision protocols, I'm guessing they do and are just renamed.

Are you using the hikvision firmware in the NVR and all the cameras?

Can you edit the cameras in the camera management section of the web admin, add/delete cameras in the Hikvision NVR version of the firmware?

In the Lorex version it is for display only, I have to do this via their windows app or on the local UI with a monitor connected.

Can you post some images of the Hikvision config web pages?

I wonder if the Lorex = Swann = Hikvision protocols, I'm guessing they do and are just renamed.

Are you using the hikvision firmware in the NVR and all the cameras?

Can you edit the cameras in the camera management section of the web admin, add/delete cameras in the Hikvision NVR version of the firmware?

Can you post some images of the Hikvision config web pages?

Hey Joey,

I suspect that Lorex = Swann = Hikvision too, when you plug a Lorex cam in the swann and you add it manually it show as swann protocol, so it the same protocol.

They seem to just change name and maybe that why this not work plug and play if you dont CAT5 cable from your switch to 1 POE port of the NVR

Hikvision firmware worked few day on the NVR, after i had the prob with the grease in on CAT5.

The lorex unit seem to be a HIKVISION DS-7608NI-SE/P

I returned the unit. I was able to modify camera in the NVR setting, and from the web page. (ie specify a Ip adress, protocol, etc)

But if I remember correctly i was not able to delete cam.

Maybe you can test more to confirm ?

How did you get the cams with the local lan IP octet Ex: 192.168.1.xxx

All I changed the ip cams IP address via the Hikvision software but they return to old IP once hooked to NVR logging in to the cameras themselves opens so many features. When they are plugged in to the NVR I cannot access the cam itself. I have to hook them into the router and power them locally

Do I have to enable DHCP on the cams themselves?

and on my version I can add more than the lorex cameras protocol for axis, onif, Panasonic.pelco,psia,samsung,sanyo,zavio,arecont

see attached,

The entire reason for this whole firmware issue was so I can:

There is so many options that the NVR firmware locks out.

So if I can find a way to have the cam hooked to the NVR and be able to change the cam settings like Night, day and auto.

And the noise filters ect. Than i will be good for now.

Thanks.

Jason

2060168792_cam01.JPG.0fcf8e86270bdf6bf45f9d294d620c30.JPG

How did you get the cams with the local lan IP octet Ex: 192.168.1.xxx

All I changed the ip cams IP address via the Hikvision software but they return to old IP once hooked to NVR logging in to the cameras themselves opens so many features. When they are plugged in to the NVR I cannot access the cam itself. I have to hook them into the router and power them locally

Do I have to enable DHCP on the cams themselves?

and on my version I can add more than the lorex cameras protocol for axis, onif, Panasonic.pelco,psia,samsung,sanyo,zavio,arecont

see attached,

The entire reason for this whole firmware issue was so I can:

There is so many options that the NVR firmware locks out.

So if I can find a way to have the cam hooked to the NVR and be able to change the cam settings like Night, day and auto.

And the noise filters ect. Than i will be good for now.

Thanks.

Jason

If you plug a computer in the poe port of the NVR you will be able to access the cam web page. You computer will need to be on the same subnet as the camera.

Do you mean that if you change cam setting like Night, day, the NVR bypass the change made on the cam web page ?

Also if you want to have all your cam on the same local sub net (192.168.1.xxx) , you will need to change the ip adress of all the cam on the cam web page. You also need to connect a cat5 cable from you local lan to one of the POE port of the NVR. You will then need to go in the nvr and select cam setup. You will modify each channel and select manual (not plug and play) and specify all the ip adress of the cam.