evnldr

Lorex 1080P NVR from Costco (NVR firmware Question)

I wonder about this claim in the specs for the cameras... as it is disabled by default, you need to go into each camera to enable it.

"Digital-Wide Dynamic Range backlight compensation provides clear detailed images where very bright and very dark areas are in the same field of view and frame of the camera."

My experience with the Hiks is that the WDR is very useful in the daytime for bringing out the details in the shadows, but it increases noise quite a lot at night. I was running my cams with WDR set at 50 during the day, but the night image was terrible, so I ended up dropping it down to about 20, decreasing the contrast (the traditional fix for this on non-WDR cams), and turning up the noise reduction to 100. This made for a decent compromise between night and day.

I'd really like to see vendors include a setting to load a complete profile, either based on time or day/night mode. This would be fairly simple to do, and you could optimize the image for both day and night without trade-offs.

Yep, I have a similar setting in mine.

I have a junky Vivotek camera that has two settings, one for day and one for night, really easy to select which.

It is a shame that their firmware is so buggy though.

That Lorex system looks like a really good system.

Have you tried to see if the Hikvision iVMS software will connect to the NVR? It would be nice to be able to view/configure it from my desktop.

I ended up ordering the Lorex, too, so I'll have both the Swann and Lorex Costco NVR bundles delivered next week to pay around and compare with.

I'm not sure if it's the same dome, but Buellwinkle did a review on hik domes and the IR bleed was nasty bad. I'll have to take a look at his site. It's not worth two extra domes if the IR bleed is so flawed, to me.

I flashed the Hikvision firmware onto Lorex NVR, it booted up and came up fine.

But.... the admin password got reset to an unknown value.

Admin is the id and password of 000000/12345/123456/admin don't work.

Any ideas?

I decided to try this as I noticed that the motion detection grid in the NVR is basically being ignored, it is using the full picture for motion control and not just the grid you draw.

Individually in the cameras, the grid is being used, if configured that way, but not correct in the LorexNVR. This is the reason for so many false motion alarms.

I submitted a password request to both Lorex and HikvisionUSA, sending them my serial number. Because Lorex isn't updating their firmware, I had to resort to trying the Hikvision one.

The Hikvision firmware update does mention this fix.

Can't speak for the NVR, but when I upgrade Hikvision cameras it preserves the password the camera had before. Is there some sort of reset button you can press and have it reset to factory defaults, then the 12345 password should work. But I did have a freaky experience recently with upgrading a Dahua camera firmware where it changed my Admin password and had to use the backup 888888 to log in, but resetting the camera also reset the password back to admin/admin.

Yep, I have reset a camera before and it does keep the previous password.

I don't like how there isn't a reset button that I can find on the NVR, many pins inside the system, so it is possible that a jumper could be used to reset.

I don't know about this though.

I will wait to see if either company gives me a series code to force the unit to reset to the default password.

If not, oh well.

Do you have a Menu item for System Maintenance? There's a selectable item labeled Default that should prompt you "Yes" or "No" to reset the NVR to factory defaults. At least my Swann NVR does - so I'm guessing the Lorex does as well. If you were just performing a "reset", and then intending to restore to your customizations you'd made for all settings, you'd want to save your config file first - to be used in restoring your preferences. But, I'm guessing that doing that would only "restore" what you really don't want..

From the owner's manual:

The Maintenance: Default menu allows you to reset the NVR

and load factory default settings. The NVR will reboot after

pressing the OK button. Please note, all data on the HDD will

remain.

No, I can't get to any menu item.

Maybe I should've done the factory reset before I updated the firmware.

On the VGA o/p login screen, there isn't even an account name listed, not even admin, the pull down is empty.

The web login screen lets me enter any id/password, just doesn't accept anything.

I hope to hear from support on Monday.

Yes, I followed that pdf and sent the request to both Lorex and Hikvision.

I got an email today from Hikvision, their codes didn't work though.

Although it looks like they didn't enter the correct information into their serial decoder app.

I wish we could have that app...

Post the codes they gave you and the info you gave them, and we might be able to figure it out. The Dahua date-based reset system was posted here a while back, and was pretty straightforward.

What I learned is that it's pronounced "hike-vision" instead of "hick-vision", among other things. I hope they produce more demo videos; I find them very helpful.

I flashed the Hikvision firmware onto Lorex NVR, it booted up and came up fine.

But.... the admin password got reset to an unknown value.

Admin is the id and password of 000000/12345/123456/admin don't work.

Any ideas?

I decided to try this as I noticed that the motion detection grid in the NVR is basically being ignored, it is using the full picture for motion control and not just the grid you draw.

Individually in the cameras, the grid is being used, if configured that way, but not correct in the LorexNVR. This is the reason for so many false motion alarms.

I submitted a password request to both Lorex and HikvisionUSA, sending them my serial number. Because Lorex isn't updating their firmware, I had to resort to trying the Hikvision one.

The Hikvision firmware update does mention this fix.

Actually I can speak for this and my experiences with the swann nvr. The code is a hash of the serial number and model number. For the swann, you have the swann pc nvr software installed, and you have to go through a reset admin password. Howver the admin account doesnt exist. With the PC NVR software you can see the long serial number piece. They copy that put it in a tool which gives a pass. Then they use the "reset" admin function of the pcnvr software which recreates the admin account I believe and then they do the reset again to reset the actual password.

Some of the details are fuzzy but thats essentially that happens with the swann system

ask dixit on this forum he went through the same thing also

see my posts here

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=37015

and here

viewtopic.php?f=19&p=226417

I can only assume the lorex does the same thing.

I tried contacting hik when i broke mine but there was nothing they could do. directed me back to swann.

Actually I can speak for this and my experiences with the swann nvr. The code is a hash of the serial number and model number. For the swann, you have the swann pc nvr software installed, and you have to go through a reset admin password. Howver the admin account doesnt exist. With the PC NVR software you can see the long serial number piece. They copy that put it in a tool which gives a pass. Then they use the "reset" admin function of the pcnvr software which recreates the admin account I believe and then they do the reset again to reset the actual password.

Thanks that explains what I'm seeing on mine with no admin account existing.

Hikvision sent me more codes to try, will try later tonight.

If people are interested and want to work backwards and create codes, I can post them later on.

I wish the NVR had a reset button like regular devices. I don't like relying on tech support.

Thanks that explains what I'm seeing on mine with no admin account existing.

Hikvision sent me more codes to try, will try later tonight.

If people are interested and want to work backwards and create codes, I can post them later on.

I wish the NVR had a reset button like regular devices. I don't like relying on tech support.

Working backwards wont be an option. Is sent you a PM of a discussion with maxicon regarding my issue above, when this happened to my swann.

Swann teir 2 had to fix mine. And then he had to go in and specify how many ports it was beucase it resets the port count to 0 which is why you cant see anything.

You shoud probably call lorex, I dont know if they have the ability to fix it, because lorex doesnt have firmware out there like swann does. maybe you can tell them he i rebooted it and this is what happened. and maybe their teir 2 can help...idk good luck

I have found with Lorex that they are trying for the speed record in how fast they can close a ticket.

They close tickets before anything has been done.

example:

Me- "Lorex support, I need to reset a password"

Lorex Support- "You need to contact level2 support, ticket closed"

Trying calling their 800 number, be on hold for 45 minutes, listening to mind numbing reminders to register your product, again and again and again.

Then you hear noises of people speaking, then click. They hung up on you.

Useless none existant support.

I only ever try and contact any tech support for any product as a last resort as I have very low expectations for any tech support.

I wasn't expecting it to be this low.

I have contacted Hikvision by email many times, they have emailed me about 20 reset serial codes, none work. It seems they are guessing.

A TERRIBLE system design where we have to depend on a reset serial code from tech support when updating firmware on the NVR.

The cameras can be updated no problem.

They said they need the Serial number of the NVR (fine, I have that) and the date that is on the NVR.

How can I get the date if I can not login to the NVR and see the date. I was seeing a 'start date' with their iVMS/SADP application software.

This date changed, ranging from 1970 to 2026, no rhyme or reason.

I should not have to depend on the NVR having the date to reset a password, there should be a reset button on the NVR, just like on the cameras.

A few more days, then out comes the hard drive, clear it on my PC and everything goes back.

Rant over.

Same Lorex is the worst RMA ever...

Once I made my point clear i had a new camera in my hands by the 4th.. and took them 2 weeks to email me the UPS tracking to send old one back.

Grr.PNG.59ed4116d15dc793fb6867083b6d8c57.PNG

All the more reason to buy the Hik cameras and roll my own NVR. Hmmmm.

for the cost.. costco is the best price.. when u add the camera cost.. the 400ft cat 5 and the 2tb hdd.. I paid 850 I think. I may sell the nvr and just run blueirs.

They said they need the Serial number of the NVR (fine, I have that) and the date that is on the NVR.

How can I get the date if I can not login to the NVR and see the date. I was seeing a 'start date' with their iVMS/SADP application software.

This date changed, ranging from 1970 to 2026, no rhyme or reason.

So, in looking into this, it appears Hikvision (and Lorex) need the current date of the NVR (month, day, and year) because they use it (with the serial) to generate a code that is good for that 1 day only. Thus, once the NVR hits 12am, the code no longer works. This could be a problem when dealing with support in a different time zone.

Also, you say you can't get the current date from the NVR. Is there no way to view it without logging on? Have you tried a port scan to see if there are any open ports on the NVR such as 23 (telnet) that might show the date even if you can't login? Does the NVR main board have a button cell battery you could pull for a while to potentially reset the date to whatever the default date is? If so, hopefully Hikvision knows what that date is or you could see if someone here with a working NVR could pull the battery and see what the date gets reset to... If you can figure out the current NVR date, see if Hikvision will generate the code for that date, the next day, etc.

Just some ideas. Good luck!

for the cost.. costco is the best price.. when u add the camera cost.. the 400ft cat 5 and the 2tb hdd.. I paid 850 I think. I may sell the nvr and just run blueirs.

In my case I don't need the NVR and if I get the old domes I don't consider that a value. I can buy bulk cable and terminate/run it myself. I think I'd rather get a better quality camera (assuming that the Lorex cameras from Costco are inferior) and not have to deal with selling the NVR and potentially having 2 lame duck domes.

What you're actually realizing is that it's still early in the game for the budget brands. And this is exactly why I haven't overhauled my home analog system yet. Maybe next year the story will be different. But a beta tester I will not be, that's for sure. I always say- cheap is cheap, cheap is expensive.

What you're actually realizing is that it's still early in the game for the budget brands. And this is exactly why I haven't overhauled my home analog system yet. Maybe next year the story will be different. But a beta tester I will not be, that's for sure. I always say- cheap is cheap, cheap is expensive.

Agreed.