TommyB, you might get better results playing with the exposure zones in the web config. Left, right, top, bottom, etc. That way it'll adjust for better results in the zone you select. The right side might catch enough of the sun, post, ceiling, etc to be a good balance. Worth a shot anyway.

P3384 does not have that feature for some reason.

or I have not been able to find it

--Edit

never mind, have to put it in light finder mode to get into those settings

Have you tried "Enabled Backlight compensation" in the Camera settings? That should take care of it...

Yea,

almost got it figured out. My test subject is starting to look good. Right in the middle of the transition from bright to dark part of the patio.

Just need to figure out the pixelation issue when zoomed in

Thanks for the excellent tip on the exposure zones!!

nice vid on how to set them up

336404981_PoolDeck_6-8-2013_10-05-38.641AM.thumb.jpg.404c25e057b00b25908147dbc7b5fb13.jpg

Try to get less sky in your field-of-view... you'll find that will improve the picture quite a bit.

And you don't need the camera looking up anyway... Nobody ever said "Gosh! Wish I had more sky in that picture!"

It should be looking down.

Exactly. The background of the shot need not be any taller than the tallest person that might stand there. Beautiful scenery out there, but no purpose in a surveillance shot above 7' or so. Then you'll have just as much as you need in the back of the shot, a ton more in the foreground, and probably a lot less light dynamics to wrangle through.

Exactly. The background of the shot need not be any taller than the tallest person that might stand there. Beautiful scenery out there, but no purpose in a surveillance shot above 7' or so. Then you'll have just as much as you need in the back of the shot, a ton more in the foreground, and probably a lot less light dynamics to wrangle through.

Thank you... perfectly put.

And if you remove the bright sky from your FOV, you may find that the camera's dynamic range goes a LOT further. Even a non-WDR camera can sometimes function adequately if you cone-down the FOV.

********* Edit ***********

In other words, put the very top of the frame just below the top of the treeline. Right about at the level of that top horizontal bar that goes across the lanai would be ideal.

And that's a VERY nice house you have... kudos!

Thank you... perfectly put.

And if you remove the bright sky from your FOV, you may find that the camera's dynamic range goes a LOT further. Even a non-WDR camera can sometimes function adequately if you cone-down the FOV.

In other words, put the very top of the frame just below the top of the treeline. Right about at the level of that top horizontal bar that goes across the lanai would be ideal.

And that's a VERY nice house you have... kudos!

Thanks!!

It's sitting on ledge where my flat screen is, well below it where the DirectTv box sits. so not a permanent place yet. just sitting there out of the housing while I play with it and get the hang of all the controls.

You guys are awesome with all the tips..

First time for me messing around with any of these cameras

Again Thanks!

Generally speaking, for indoors I aim the top of a shot at the top of any doorway in the shot and no more. For outdoors, allowing for the tallest truck that could enter the shot and keeping as much sky out of the shot as possible is a good starting point. Good luck.

Generally speaking, for indoors I aim the top of a shot at the top of any doorway in the shot and no more. For outdoors, allowing for the tallest truck that could enter the shot and keeping as much sky out of the shot as possible is a good starting point. Good luck.

is this mounted to high? mounted at 10'6" ceiling is 14'.2"which was way too high

temp mount on the wall to get the perfect spot.. I'm so freaking tired of moving this 12ft ladder around.

yea, i know it's still out of focus a bit.

this is the P3384-VE shot around almost 6pm

mounted the P3364 next to it, not real happy with the 64 yet.

2nd pic is the 3364, zoomed in a little. having a heck of a time with the exposure on the P3364..

1008655784_P3364-VE_6-12-2013_6-13-49.320PM.thumb.jpg.b2b6e45e52b0b30bd4c4ac58eb9fd7fe.jpg

1722585481_P3384-VE_6-12-2013_5-40-34.927PM.thumb.jpg.61a22cbc8ccc9e4feb781b622b9932c5.jpg

The 3384 looks good- maybe a little high. Not real sure what you need to cover in this room- like how many doors/windows and on what walls. Maybe bring the 3384 down to 9' and at the back of the shot, which is the outside glass behind the pool, make the height of that no more than 8'. That will help to get more foreground in the shot, while keeping anyone fully in the shot at the pool. And keep in mind, sometimes it takes more than one camera to see all you need to see. The 3364 actually may be more flexible for your fov. Keep working on the exposure. It's zoomed and getting more room than the 3384. But always keep in mind the back of your field of view need not be any higher than a tall person- 7.5' would fine too.

Pulled the trigger on 1 of each to see what works best.

I'll set them up, see what looks best and go from there. Get 30 days to play with them, so win-win.

once I get them setup, I'll post some vids etc.

Should be here by friday I hope.

Got this for the POE switch

Netgear FS726TP PROSAFE™ 24 PORT 10/100 SMART SWITCH WITH 2 GIGABIT PORTS AND 12 PORT POE

Tommy - Check out this YouTube video of a new digital autotracking feature for the P3367. I called Axis and it has limited availability for Beta testing. They said it should be released in a few months. In any event, it's a really cool feature.

^^ Wow looks a lot like what Videoiq has been doing for years

dSWkUNr5mig

I would be very interested to see how Axis will be able to implement that with the VMS. Will the VMS record only what the digital zoom is seeing or will the VMS record the full image. Will they let you setup a stream profile with digital tracking and one without? Videoiq recorded the full image.

Edited by Guest

Tommy - Check out this YouTube video of a new digital autotracking feature for the P3367. I called Axis and it has limited availability for Beta testing. They said it should be released in a few months. In any event, it's a really cool feature.

that's pretty cool. is it in a PTZ? if not how's it tracking. They doing like mobotix?

Wish I could get my 3367 to focus 1/2 as good as that. Mine looks like crap

That's great, but they have a more fundamental problem. They had better improve the motion sensing otherwise my camera will be tracking the sun moving behind clouds, lightning flashes, cars lights out of frame at night, and several other non-motion events.

that's pretty cool. is it in a PTZ? if not how's it tracking. They doing like mobotix?

Wish I could get my 3367 to focus 1/2 as good as that. Mine looks like crap

As I understand it, it's a digital PTZ. The P3367 does not have a motor to do a true PTZ.

You should call Axis' tech support regarding your focus issues. I was having some issues recently and they remoted into my computer and reviewed the settings in the "Setup" screen of the browser access to the camera. The rep. noted that I need to update my Axis Camera Companion and also led me through updating the firmware.

I have been very impressed by their customer service!

That's great, but they have a more fundamental problem. They had better improve the motion sensing otherwise my camera will be tracking the sun moving behind clouds, lightning flashes, cars lights out of frame at night, and several other non-motion events.

That was one of the issues with my cameras. I used Axis Camera Companion to setup the areas that I wanted to include or exclude. As you may know, the other option is through the settings in the web-browser access to the camera. There are pro's and con's for both.

From what I understand, the algorithm within ACC is much better. The bad thing is that there is no ability to increase/decrease sensitivity. I was told that they are currently working on a new version of the software that will add the ability to tweak various settings like sensitivity. In other words, it will give you more control over what is recorded.

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your focus. Not sure why but they can get screwed up and out of timing somehow. Happened to one of my 3364s. PITA for a while but I fixed it somehow and only afterwards found out that they sometimes need the focus recalibrated.

Sounds like you need to recalibrate your focus. Not sure why but they can get screwed up and out of timing somehow. Happened to one of my 3364s. PITA for a while but I fixed it somehow and only afterwards found out that they sometimes need the focus recalibrated.

Might have to. It's now placed / wired / etc

colors are off, nothing i can do makes the focus any better

P3384

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHVUJQt3gvM

I don't have one in front of me at the time, but do an advanced focus where you set the window where you want it to focus on and open the iris (there will be a button to do this) and focus. Do it on a large screen TV if you have and fine tune it. I had to fine tune it to make it perfect. This is not an autofocus camera, it's a camera with motorized focus, personally don't like it, prefer to manually focus but Axis does this the best of any camera I tried but nowhere close to a true autofocus camera like the Axis Q60.

I got a reply back from Mobotix and it is using 5MP sensors but the image will be limited to 3.1MP, same as the D14 on the color lens for 4x better low light sensitivity. They are not shipping yet but will try and get one for a review.

I don't have one in front of me at the time, but do an advanced focus where you set the window where you want it to focus on and open the iris (there will be a button to do this) and focus. Do it on a large screen TV if you have and fine tune it. I had to fine tune it to make it perfect. This is not an autofocus camera, it's a camera with motorized focus, personally don't like it, prefer to manually focus but Axis does this the best of any camera I tried but nowhere close to a true autofocus camera like the Axis Q60.

Thanks. redid the calibrate.

according to the pop-up help seems I'm missing all these little options

Fine-tune focus automatically - Try this tool first to automatically set the focus. The focus can be further adjusted by clicking in the Focus position bar.

Full range focus scan - Transforms the Focus position bar into a graph which shows the optimal focus position. For best results let the scan run to completion, which could take several minutes. The peaks in the graph correspond to the positions that put parts of the scene in focus. Click in the graph to adjust the focus to the desired part of the scene.

A Full range scan can be aborted by clicking in the graph.

Focus position bar - Click on the bar to put the focus in a desired location. The buttons < and > move the focus position one step in either direction. The buttons << and >> move the focus position in multiple steps in either direction.

I'm in Focus and Zoom, Advanced

Using IE and or FF. neither on has these options.

and Firmware is the latest.

Trying to use the Auto Focus, and IE just tries forever to focus. When using IE, the little focus position area jumps to full frame window instead of keeping the little focus window.