Sign in to follow this  
Larry1

Any options besides Luxriot?

Hi there,

We are currently using Luxriot Enterprise to handle the viewing and recording of video. All streams are H.264 (except for the 2MP at 15FPS), 5 are 1MP @ 30FPS, 2 are 2MP @ 15FPS, 5 are 2MP @30FPS, 2 are 3MP @ 21FPS, and 2 are 5MP @14FPS. Originally, we used a regular computer with a quadcore 2GHZ processor (Intel I3 series) and 4GB of RAM (obviously that is woefully inadequate, but hey, I'm just a noob ) After the system literally crashed every 5 minutes, we decided to jump to the server segment and picked up an Intel X5680 and put 32GB of RAM into the baby. Now it runs blazing fast (and good images of course), but we are wondering if there are any other solutions that may be less CPU intensive to use. At this point, we are somewhat satisfied with Luxriot, but are there any other better options? Thanks.

If someone is wondering, we are currently using the following cameras (I know it's a hodgepodge)

2 Acti TCM-1111

1 Arecont AV3115

1 Arecont AV3255AM

2 Arecont AV5255AMIR

1 Sony DH220

2 Sony DH140

1 Sony ER550

4 Pelco IXE20DN

1 Iqeye 702

1 Vivotek IP7361

You may want to look software that uses the camera's resources for motion detection. Exacq and Avigilon are two software NVR's that do this, but first check if all your cameras are compatible. Milestone does this with a few cameras. Also, doing PIR alarm motion detection may also decrease the load on the server if the software supports it. How did you end up with such a wide mix of cameras?

The Intel X5680 was a good 6 core processor but that's a 2-3 year old processor. There's better ivy bridge 8 & 10 core Xeons now. Also, you can try and overclock the chip you have, I believe you can get 4Mhz out of it. But it's all processing power, RAM is not important. The reason is all the h264 decoding it's doing on every stream and then recoding it to write out events. BlueIris, a lower end product recently went direct to disk on recordings that works with many cameras and CPU use dropped in half for me and the recordings are cleaner. So I think NVR software vendors are realizing that with new 3 & 5MP cameras out there, they need to make their software more efficient.

If you want to use what you got but make it work, compromise frame rate, bit rates, resolution and you can gain a lot of performance. For example, no need to record everything at 30fps, cutting it down to 15-20fps will still give you pretty smooth video, reduce the load on the server dramatically and reduce disk space used.

It does not look like the Intel X5680 has a built-in GPU like the i5 and i7 have. I don't know about Winduhs, but in Linux we install the VA-API driver and get hardware video decoding on i5 and i7. If there's also an nVidia card installed we install Bumblebee and get Optimus support.

I looked at luxriot a while back and it was pretty nice actually, but in the end I chose Exacq for less processor needed and a few features I needed. In fact, your original computer would handle that camera load just fine with Exacq. I run 8 IP cameras on i3 or less processors all the time with no issues, I have 6-7 running on old Pentium dual cores with no issues.

In fact, the hybrid systems handle 8 IP cameras, and 16 analog with an i3 and 2gb of ram with no trouble at all.

You will have to look up each of your cameras on the link below, but I know that many will work just by looking at your list, as I use Vivotek and Acti and I know the other brands are supported.

https://exacq.com/support/ipcams.php

As mentioned Avigilon is another solid choice, but they did not quite support the cameras I needed at the time not sure where they stand currently.

It's bizarre but ExacQ still haven't added Samsung SNV-5080R cameras to the compatibility list. I was going to evaluate their software last year but they weren't compatible with my Samsung cameras so I didn't bother.

Hi buellwinkle,

To answer about our mixed up cameras, lets just say a 3K budget and eBay caused us to have a mix . We would have gone with the newer 8 or 10 core Intels (they're pretty cheap on eBay), but those mobos are 2.5K, which is a little bit out of our league. Thanks a bunch for the advice cutting down the stream FPS, it really helped. We were considering about other software options because we are planning to install another 6-10 cameras, so we are considering our options on what configuration we will end up with.

For the rest of the responders:

It looks like Exacq and Avigilon is pretty frequently mentioned here, we will take a look at those two providers. Anyways, thanks to all that responded so far. If there are any other recommendations, feel free to do so.

It's bizarre but ExacQ still haven't added Samsung SNV-5080R cameras to the compatibility list. I was going to evaluate their software last year but they weren't compatible with my Samsung cameras so I didn't bother.

Well, it's fully supported now. Appears to have had support for the last five versions of Exacq. You might take another look, there are roughly 50 or so Samsung cameras supported on there when I looked in the link I posted above.

Luxriot actually does support camera MD on the Acti, Vivotek, and Arecont cameras you have. Been that way for at least 2 years if I'm not mistaken. Sony cams are supporting camera MD as well on newer versions. Almost all of your cameras can be setup on camera MD if you wanted. Can free up plenty of cpu for you to expand if needed.