tangocharlie

Avigilon controlling Bosch Analogs via Encoder

Have a site with 4 Bosch G4 PTZ's which is preparing to migrated to an Avigilon platform.

Has anyone done this before?

I can recall a discussion around PTZ lag with Avigilon. Is this going to be an issue?

How many PTZ's can I control per 4 channel encoder?

Thanks and Regards

Tango

Have a site with 4 Bosch G4 PTZ's which is preparing to migrated to an Avigilon platform.

Has anyone done this before?

I can recall a discussion around PTZ lag with Avigilon. Is this going to be an issue?

How many PTZ's can I control per 4 channel encoder?

Thanks and Regards

Tango

4 Ch = 4 PTZ

You will want to make sure your new recording software has drivers for Phillips/Bosch PTZ cameras. If your Bosch cameras have new enough firmware, they can also be controlled with Pelco commands via RS485.

But I would recommend using the native Bosch Bi-phase connection instead. What are you using now to control the ptz?

I have used the Bosch RS232 to Bi-phase converter box with good success. You will need RS232 from the computer running the recording software. And as I said earlier, your software will need to support Bosch or Phillips ptz commands.

Here is the list of control protocols that Avigilon's encoders support:

American Dynamics Sensormatic, AXSYS, AXSYS DCU, Ernitec ERNA,

Honeywell Diamond, Kalatel ASCII, Pelco D, Pelco P, TEB Ligne, Vicon

extended, Vicon normal, Videotec Legacy, Videotec MACRO

If your Bosch PTZ cameras use one of these protocols Avigilon's encoders will control the PTZ camera.

You will need one encoder per 4 PTZ cameras.

Here is the list of control protocols that Avigilon's encoders support:

American Dynamics Sensormatic, AXSYS, AXSYS DCU, Ernitec ERNA,

Honeywell Diamond, Kalatel ASCII, Pelco D, Pelco P, TEB Ligne, Vicon

extended, Vicon normal, Videotec Legacy, Videotec MACRO

If your Bosch PTZ cameras use one of these protocols Avigilon's encoders will control the PTZ camera.

You will need one encoder per 4 PTZ cameras.

If the camera doesn't support any of those protocols, and you still want to use Avigilon, you could add a protocol converter from Sennetech http://www.sennetech.net/index.html to change from Pelco protocol to Bosch biphase to get control of the cameras.

I had to make some GE Legand IPs work with Avigilon and used an Axis Encoder with the BNC out on the GE.

I will have to say the results were very nice. The user thought they were using an Axis PTZ.

I have probably converted 100 analog PTZs over to Avigilon encoders and I have to say that single channel Axis encoder was pretty impressive.

In case anyone ever converts a Legacy GE PTZ the protocol is Kalatel Digiplex and the Avigilon encoder is Kalatel ASCII.

So you need a KTD-313 to translate the ASCII to Digiplex.

The newer GE domes (Legand and Truvision) have selectable protocols and support Pelco P and Pelco D.