daveshoot

Swann IP system back at Costco...

and now Lorex seems to be offered in SDI only. Hard to keep up with this stuff!

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100027599.html

Ack, the price went up to $1199 with 4 bullets. I still thought the Swann was the better NVR package due to alarm inputs, and PTZ support.

There is a little more confusion (I think?) because the "in the box" pop up calls the NVR an "SDI" but says there are CAT5e cables in the box, and the cameras are clearly pitched as IP. Perhaps I am not sophisticated enough to understand how they can co-exist, or maybe it's left over from the previous offering. I did email them the question.

Also, in going through the 17 reviews, most of the one or two-star input was due to a) fan noise, b) Mac OS issues, and c) mobile access, usually neglecting to mention the phone OS. Most also agreed on sketchy or poor documentation.

The guys who sounded like they knew what they were doing seemed fairly happy with performance. I would not want a problem with a Mac, but I don't have a Mac, so I am going to look past those complaints. As a Harbor Freight customer for years I've learned to work without instructions. And even if it sounds like a Harrier hovering I can find a secure place for it; the Lorex always got the same complaint.

So for 1200 bucks I think it is the starter kit I was wanting, and I have been putting off the purchase for some time. Do any of you that went with this last time around have new input? Anyone care to point out a different direction at the price point?

Well, that Lorex is an SDI coax system, which is not what I want. YMMV but not apples and apples. The SDI debate is elsewhere in the forum, but I understand IP a lot better, and am now sorta pre-wired for it.

For the last couple months they have had the Lorex IP and the Swann SDI. Now the roles are suddenly reversed, and the Swann NVR had more features than the comparable Lorex. So that is my fork in the road.

Update: Swann support confirms the Costco deal is an NVR, and the SDI reference was an error.

nice, thanks for the info! I think the price still seems a little steep for me though.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is remote viewing software. Is this system remotely viewed with just a web service in a browser? Or is there CMS software available for it? Something like PSS, where you can integrate multiple systems in one software? For me personally, remote software integration is just as important as anything when choosing a system, and just a web application isn't much to speak of and there's usually sacrifices with web apps. And if anyone has the ability, it would be nice to see a demo of the web app too, at least.

I'll be finding out soon. Pulled the trigger yesterday.

I think I will try to get the whole thing running as-is before getting crazy with the updates and downloads. I have also finally been able to establish a broadband connection here in the boonies, so remote viewing, operating, etc. is suddenly more interesting to me.

Details (hopefully happy ones) to follow.

What I really like is seeing nothing going on at my house. Remote area, interesting neighbors. I am so tickled with the broadband, which entailed trenching 250 yards to the pump station to get a line of sight... I am still figuring out what to do with it. I ran a couple extras for CCTV, most in conduit.

Remote gate control will be next. I would like a doorbell/call box/gate output kinda thing that lets me interrogate visitors via phone after viewing, then let them in if they pass muster (propane fill guy, etc.). If you know of something decent that is IP based, I'd be interested.

A remote control gopher shooter is also high on my list but will require some back-country engineering and PTZ.

Nope, not that interesting but I remember that thread . I have it easy by comparison.

The ones across the street had a significant raid at one time, including police, sheriff, DEA, and an alphabet soup of other agencies. Boiled down to a family dispute including gun brandishing by ex-con (probation violation) against other family member, and subsequent discovery of unlawful "medical" pot farm. Jut good old back country fun and misunderstandings. They weren't so bad. The renters are gone now, and the owner has only backed into my gate once, while no one was home (one of the departed volunteered the info).

Now, the OTHER ones... they're INTERESTING. Lotsa scruffy foot and vehicular traffic. One night a scruff tried to come through our walkthrough gate, demanding to see "xxx" (a name next door), but met dog, and almost Mr. Mossberg. One of my concerns is being mistaken for the folks next door by people with poor directions or impaired skills. There appears to be a coven or something in their yard, living in a stone and earthen yurt, for lack of a better word, that has smoke coming out of it frequently. I'm sure it's all harmless but I just think some extra eyes are prudent.

We also have large, brazen coyotes and other rural critters, and of course the gophers. You can sort of time individual gophers, if you know when a particular one is usually active. They may then be dealt with ballistically. Livestock will be added over time and the barnyard will be a future surveillance project.

Still, the CPS Nazi guy takes the cake and I hope he isn't planning to rent around here. Stuff like that can really affect quality of life.

Sounds like your place is a good place for a camera system. The coven sounds interesting. No earthen yurts around here. I wonder if they give tours?

I may've sold Costco another Swann system this morning. Someone was visiting my place and saw my setup and started telling me some of her stories about a crazy neighbour and their many many many cats using her extensive landscaping and flower beds for a litterbox. They live in the city and pets aren't allowed to roam free. One polite phone call later and he's screaming obscenities at her family and visitors and throwing pounds of roofing nails into their crushed gravel driveway after he sees them leave. She was asking questions about how to wire up a system so I think she's serious.

anyone knows if you can use and access the cameras without the NVR?

just wondering, if later the NVR fails, can I still use the IP cameras by hooking them directly to the router (via POE switch).

thanks

anyone knows if you can use and access the cameras without the NVR?

just wondering, if later the NVR fails, can I still use the IP cameras by hooking them directly to the router (via POE switch).

thanks

Yes you can.

Thanks @JoeyJoey!

Drilling down on the "yes": do the cameras support

- motion detection built in -> trigger email notification?

- motion detection built in -> trigger email notification with snapshot image?

- live stream on demand?

- save video/image snapshots to locale SD (or remote FTP?) on motion detection

- save video/image snapshots to locale SD (or remote FTP?) on schedule

Again, assume no NVR. that is, I don't refer to a setup running a PC with BI as an NVR replacement, I mean _no_ NVR, o software...

thanks

hernan

Thanks @JoeyJoey!

Drilling down on the "yes": do the cameras support

1- motion detection built in -> trigger email notification?

2- motion detection built in -> trigger email notification with snapshot image?

3- live stream on demand?

4- save video/image snapshots to locale SD (or remote FTP?) on motion detection

5- save video/image snapshots to locale SD (or remote FTP?) on schedule

6-Again, assume no NVR. that is, I don't refer to a setup running a PC with BI as an NVR replacement, I mean _no_ NVR, o software...

thanks

hernan

1- yes

2- yes

3- yes

4- yes to ftp for snapshots, video to nfs. (iSCSI with updated firmware) mp4 files.

5- yes to ftp for snapshot, video to nfs. mp4 files.

6- yes

It might take you some time to figure all this out, but I went through it, lots of how tos on here.

Does anyone know exactly what Hikvision system this is? I'm looking to buy another box camera for this system but want to make sure it's compatible with the system.

Thanks @JoeyJoey!

1- yes

2- yes

3- yes

4- yes to ftp for snapshots, video to nfs. (iSCSI with updated firmware) mp4 files.

5- yes to ftp for snapshot, video to nfs. mp4 files.

6- yes

It might take you some time to figure all this out, but I went through it, lots of how tos on here.

Thanks @JoeyJoey! " title="Applause" />

Does anyone know exactly what Hikvision system this is? I'm looking to buy another box camera for this system but want to make sure it's compatible with the system.

There's some discussion on this here: viewtopic.php?p=220808#p220808

I found the hikvision version of the nvr of the lorex, and I think I found the same for the swann. Swann puts them in their own case, I discerned this info from various guides and pics I found on their website.

here is the hikvision version of the lorex

lorex= hikvision ds-7600NI-se/p (7600 series respectively)

The swann was a little bit more difficult because they put it in their own case, so its some variation of the same one above except the boards are different. The board in ours matches the board from the 7700 series. There is a 7600 that is similar to ours minus vga and rca out. but the pics of the board show that only having 4G ram....ours has 8 which is what the 7700 has.