RIPE

CAT5e Suspended 17.5' in the Woods

Here is the result of the project I started many months back with a 16 channel Dahua hybrid DVR (9116HFI-H16z), 4 IR bullet cameras (SB-700SID540), 3 Dahua 2MP bullet cameras (IPC-VEC8253NF-EI), 1 1.3MP HD Network IR Speed DomePTZ (PTZ-HD6980C) and a ZyXEL 8 port, layer 2, managed gigabit PoE switch (GS2200-8HP):::

The project mission was designed to protect a rectangular treed lot, 300’ plus boundary line separated with a privacy fence from trespass by a toxic neighbor on one side and a less toxic neighbor on the other side.

CAT5e was suspended in the air from the house to the end of the lot from tree to tree which was roughly 350’. I used 1000’ of black vinyl coated aircraft cable 1/8” in 2 trunk lines in the back and 1 trunk line in the front. It was connected to trees with 3 ¾” open screw hooks using aluminum sleeves to create loops on the wire rope for each 40’-60’ run. CAT5e direct underground burial was attached to the wire rope with electrical ties to each camera.

No distance problems for the IR cameras with baluns to the DVR. They work as well as an IR camera can work. The IP megapixel cameras probably had a distance limitation but I did not double check that issue. The IP cameras were connected to a ZyXEL 8-port managed switch with four POE+ ports. They produced a beautiful picture. The PTZ camera was attached to a 3” pole with a plywood overhead to protect from radiant heat and strong rain.

For the bullet cameras I used 4” PVC with a 4” PVC cap as weather enclosures attached to 1”x 6” lumber with two 6”-7” hose clamps with one large lag screw and washer in the wood to attach to the tree. White PVC was camouflaged with flat gray primer and brown paint and everything else was coated with liquid tape or primer. Camera cables fit tightly in the PVC cap and the CAT5e ran out through a ¾” drilled hole on the bottom of each cap. Each hole was covered with strapping tape and sprayed with Rust-Oleum Leak Seal flexible rubber coating.

So far I can only get the IR cameras to work on the DVR. I tried to add the IP cameras through the Web v.2.0 Dahua software but the DVR dropped the display even when I reduced the IP cameras to D1, 15 FPS, 1280 Bit Rate (Kb/S), and extra stream disabled. Do I need a different DVR or maybe an NVR?? I can see all of the cameras on my laptop with the Dahua PSS software, Web v.3.0 but would prefer that the DVR do all recording and display (as it should). I need my laptop for other uses.

If anyone has a solution that is cheap I could use the help. I have Teamviewer and can let you remote into my laptop to try to configure it. I would also like to have remote access as my wife will be here by herself. I have assigned a static IP address to each IP camera, the DVR, and the ZyXEL switch. Turning off the IR lights, setting up alarms, and getting remote access are my big issues. I am not good at networking. If you think you can help please contact me at guidecca@hotmail.com or call or text me in the U.S. at 757-202-7722. Thanks.

Edited by Guest

Ethernet specs support only a max of 300 meters (around 328 feet). That's from one device back to a switch port. The same could be said for the POE distances, as there's voltage drop over longer runs.

What gauge is this wire?

At the very least you may want to make sure you're only running the devices at 100mbps, not gigE. If the devices are only 10/100 then negotiation wouldn't be an issue. But if they're trying to negotiate gigE connections that distance might very well be a big problem.

What you should probably do is connect the cameras in a test configuration, just using short cables. Make sure THAT all works first. If that works then you've likely got cabling issues.

Ethernet specs support only a max of 300 meters (around 328 feet). That's from one device back to a switch port. The same could be said for the POE distances, as there's voltage drop over longer runs.

What gauge is this wire?

At the very least you may want to make sure you're only running the devices at 100mbps, not gigE. If the devices are only 10/100 then negotiation wouldn't be an issue. But if they're trying to negotiate gigE connections that distance might very well be a big problem.

What you should probably do is connect the cameras in a test configuration, just using short cables. Make sure THAT all works first. If that works then you've likely got cabling issues.

I think what you mean is cable length max is 100M or about 328FT. I have seen ethernet streched out to close to 500FT and still work, you have to remember the ethernet standard was developed a long time ago and since then both cabling and devices have gotten better.

I don't see why Gigabit speeds would be a problem over 10/100 speeds, I am not aware of any further limitations when using gigabit, beyond the fact CAT5e does not support gigabit speeds.

wkearney99 and SectorSecurity,

Thank you very much for your replies. I used CAT5e direct burial (without gel) for cable. The switch has four regular PoE ports and four PoE plus ports. The switch will negotiate with the IP camera how much power it requires and then supply it. What I find interesting is the instuctions in the ZyXEL manual that warn not to run cable outdoors from the switch. Wonder if the Chinese are suggesting thunder and lightening might be an issue. Wonder if there should be grounds per the DVR instructions. So far the cameras are powered sufficiently. I do have a question. How do I get the LED lights to shut off at night? It would be unfortunate to burn the LED's out before their lifespan. It is probably just a matter of setting up motion alarm and activating it. Is that the solution and can it be done through software or will the CAT5e have to be connected to the DVR alarm? I have four other cameras that are analog and go directly into the hybrid DVR (Dahua). I guess the analog camera would have to be connected to the DVR to activate the motion detection. I've got them powered with wall warts at present. Also, does anyone have a method of keeping spiders away from cameras during the summer?

Thank you one and all for your help. I am willing to pay for any remote technical help via Teamviewer. Thanks.

I have seen Ethernet stretched to 600 ft and it worked the issue is how does the whole network function with out of length runs. If it is at all possible keep withing standards as the next generation of Ethernet equipment may be even less tolerant. IF you are running POE you want to keep within the limitations or you may start having your problems with low power at the camera.

I have seen Ethernet stretched to 600 ft and it worked the issue is how does the whole network function with out of length runs. If it is at all possible keep withing standards as the next generation of Ethernet equipment may be even less tolerant. IF you are running POE you want to keep within the limitations or you may start having your problems with low power at the camera.

jeromephone,

Does the power problem occur even using PoE plus ports from the switch? I know we we couldn't get one camera to display at a certain distance that was out about 300 plus feet. I pulled it in about 25 feet and it displayed without a problem. I was going to double-check it again at the original distance but didn't have the time. I was going from tree to tree and attaching cameras at almost 18 feet on a ladder.

Any technicians on the forum know how to connect computer to DVR for remote access to a Dahua hybrid DVR with a ZyXEL managed switch. I think there are some YouTube videos but they are kind of vague. I think the idea is to have a static IP address that will never change when your internet service provider changes it. I think it is on the WAN side of the router but I could be wrong. I hear that the cameras can be controlled remotely. Is there a down and dirty on accomplishing this task?

You need to stay within spek even if using POE Plus because you have to factor in what current draw the camera has. We ran into a couple of axis cameras PTZ that were within speck but had to have seperate poe injectors to work correctly.

Look on the computers and networking section of this forum there is a lot of info on port fowarding, ddyns etc to enable viewing over the internet and via mobile devices.

You need to stay within spek even if using POE Plus because you have to factor in what current draw the camera has. We ran into a couple of axis cameras PTZ that were within speck but had to have seperate poe injectors to work correctly.

Look on the computers and networking section of this forum there is a lot of info on port fowarding, ddyns etc to enable viewing over the internet and via mobile devices.

Thank you for the reply. It has been about 2-3 years since installation and the analog cameras worked most of the time as did the IP cameras. Squirrels gnawed on some of the ethernet cable where it was connected to trees. Amazon sells rodent-proof cable but it is expensive. Is the direct burial cable compromised if the inner cloth cover around the four twisted pair is wet? Was thinking of replacing or patching the cables but it is quite a tough job running cable 18' feet up in the air through heavy brush and trees. The wire rope has held up okay with only one length of cable sagging - requiring another tree to attach to and reduce the strain.