91lsman

Remote Access Suddenly Stopped Working-Bosch DVR

Hello:

I registered on this forum a long time ago to discuss a different DVR. Boy am I glad forums exist for everything. LOL

Here is the current issue.

We have three Bosch 600 series DVRs at an Apartment Complex. I can access them when on the same network as the DVRs. For a long time I was able to remotely access them as well without issue, once I figured out how to do so. (IP Address:PORT number)

Then suddenly, that remote access stopped working.

I downloaded an App from Bosch for my I-phone and that worked. Then that stopped working as well. I'm not sure why.

Port Forwarding has not changed.

Any thoughts?

They most likely have a dynamic external IP address, and this has most likely changed, you need to connect to their network and visit a site such as whats my ip and this will give you the external IP address.

Then I would suggest you look into a DDNS service, this will keep track of the changing external IP address and map it to a domain name such as www.mydvr.com so all you would have to type is www.mydvr.com and not an IP address.

And as a sidenote the IP address:Port is what we call a socket. Just a bit of networking info there.

Do you get an error message saying device not available or something similar? Or does the client software give up trying?

Tried power cycling the 600?

The IP address has not changed. I already checked that using whatismyip

I use the socket with internet explorer-that is what these DVRs are designed for. At that point it brings up a Bosch login screen.

I may try power cycling the DVRs. I guess I can't make it worse since the remote access doesn't currently work. LOL

Well, I power cycled the DVRs this morning and ......it worked.

The main reason for needing the access is, as a property manager, I need to make sure nobody is in the pool after hours. With the Bosch app on my phone, I don't even need to get out of bed. LOL

I'll check and see if the access works again from my home computer later today.

THANKS!!

Glad the power cycle worked. I've driven hours to a customer just to pull the plug and plug it back in. The Bosch MR model was notorious for requiring a power cycle from time to time.

You might try a small UPS on the 600. That solved some of our MR's needing to be rebooted all the time.

We've also been running into lots of HD failures in the 600 series. Mostly the 1TB and 2TB models. Be sure to keep an eye on the 600 to see if it hoses up again. Don't be caught short on the 3 year advanced exchange warranty!

The main reason for needing the access is, as a property manager, I need to make sure nobody is in the pool after hours. With the Bosch app on my phone, I don't even need to get out of bed. LOL

THANKS!!

THANKS!!

You do know a lock works quite well and doesn't need to be rebooted, it wouldnt have remote access, well I guess maybe a z-wave lock connected to an alarm system would

You should install a 2 way intercom so you can also yell at the people in the pool from your bed

Well, it stopped working again. I power cycled the DVRs again and it didn't work. I have no idea why.

The pool gates are electronic locks with key card access. The problem is that if the resident is already in there before closing time, the gate can't throw them out. And we have had people jump the fence.

The owner of the property thought about an intercom system connected to my place. We might have to do that in the future.

So what do you do when you see someone in the pool? Can you evict them from the area from your bed, as well?

And as a sidenote the IP address:Port is what we call a socket. Just a bit of networking info there.

Well, to be really nitpicky, what you described is actually called an endpoint to the connection. A socket is a descriptor which represents a (potential) connection, and usually consists of two endpoints, one for each peer involved in the connection. There are other kinds of sockets (e.g. Unix domain sockets, raw sockets, unbound sockets) which have no IP address and/or port number associated with them at all.

Just a bit of networking info there.