cltcctv

Swann SDI vs NVR

Hello all!

I have read a bunch of the posts on this forum, as I attempt to upgrade from my cheapo $20 Walmart cameras to something a little nicer, and I have learned a ton. Sadly, I know I have only scratched the tip of the iceberg, so I am hoping that someone a bit more experienced can chime in.

My basic requirements are:

1.) At least 4 cameras.

2.) Decent image in day and night settings.

3.) Outdoor safe.

4.) Can be remotely accessed.

5.) Motion sensor with ability to email snapshot.

6.) The higher the resolution, the better.

7.) Goal of around $1,000. Less is better (of course), but I could handle a little more as well.

I am considering two systems from Swann, but I have a few questions.

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1541

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1525

From what I have been able to gather on my own:

1.) Both systems are listed as 1080P (so the image quality should be the same?)

2.) The cameras appear to have very similar specs, but the SDI system appears to have slightly better cameras. They have an extra 60ft of night vision range (maybe because of the 18 extra IR LEDS).

3.) One is a NVR and the other is a SDI DVR. I am not exactly certain on the difference though, since they both allow remote viewing. I understand that the NVR uses 1 cat5 cable for each camera and the SDI DVR has a power and signal cable. Is that the main difference?

Which system would you recommend and why?

Also, in the SDI DVR version, does anyone know what the power cable plugs into on the non-camera end and is it included with the system? I do not see anything pictured in the "what is in the box" image that I immediately recognize as fitting the requirement.

Thank you for any input that you may have.

Cheers!

Also, I was looking at Costco and I see this version being offered as well:

http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-SDI-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-8-High-Resolution-Cameras.product.100037980.html

It looks to be very similar to the 4 channel version that I posed above but, it has 8 channels and 4 extra cameras. I assumed that the 4 bullet cameras that were included were the same as the 4 channel version; however, it appears that the bullet cameras in this 8 channel version are an inferior version (based on IR distance and number of IR LEDs). Am I correct on this judgement?

Thanks again!

Hello all!

I have read a bunch of the posts on this forum, as I attempt to upgrade from my cheapo $20 Walmart cameras to something a little nicer, and I have learned a ton. Sadly, I know I have only scratched the tip of the iceberg, so I am hoping that someone a bit more experienced can chime in.

My basic requirements are:

1.) At least 4 cameras.

2.) Decent image in day and night settings.

3.) Outdoor safe.

4.) Can be remotely accessed.

5.) Motion sensor with ability to email snapshot.

6.) The higher the resolution, the better.

7.) Goal of around $1,000. Less is better (of course), but I could handle a little more as well.

I am considering two systems from Swann, but I have a few questions.

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1541

http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1525

From what I have been able to gather on my own:

1.) Both systems are listed as 1080P (so the image quality should be the same?)

2.) The cameras appear to have very similar specs, but the SDI system appears to have slightly better cameras. They have an extra 60ft of night vision range (maybe because of the 18 extra IR LEDS).

3.) One is a NVR and the other is a SDI DVR. I am not exactly certain on the difference though, since they both allow remote viewing. I understand that the NVR uses 1 cat5 cable for each camera and the SDI DVR has a power and signal cable. Is that the main difference?

Which system would you recommend and why?

Also, in the SDI DVR version, does anyone know what the power cable plugs into on the non-camera end and is it included with the system? I do not see anything pictured in the "what is in the box" image that I immediately recognize as fitting the requirement.

Thank you for any input that you may have.

Cheers!

Going to try and answer as much as possible here for you. Firstly the difference between IP cameras and HD-SDI is network cameras are all digital and utilize a network simliar to what your computers do to communicate with an NVR. HD-SDI is the digital equivilant of analog cameras. If I had a choice I would go with IP cameras as they are more future proof, and HD-SDI has some strict limitations on video distance, I believe about 150FT before a repeater is needed whereas ethernet is about 350FT (I say about because that is what the standard recommends but I have gotten it to work at greater distances) So my recommendation would be to go with an IP based system and NVR.

2) Both systems appear to have the same image quality but I would but my money on the IP cameras being better. Both systems claim to have 2.1MP cameras.

3) You are correct an NVR is going to run off of ethernet cabling and a wired network much like your home computers, whereas the HD-SDI will utilize coaxial cabling and BNC connectors. The NVR and network cameras will give you a digital image, whereas I believe SDI stands for High Definition - Serial Digital Interface.

If you are going with a new application I would say go all digital with the NVR and IP Cameras, HD-SDI was developed to use existing infrastructure to transmit digital signals from locations that used to utilize analog cameras.

As for the power cable in the DVR kit it should look something like the one below:

54l.jpg.0f794b396ede8c6187ac3c3442cca7b9.jpg

SectorSecurity,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

The image you provided for the power is basically what I was expecting. From the image of "whats included in the box" at costco, nothing similar to that appears to be shown. Do you have any idea if the system comes with one?

Also, if you have the time, I have a few more questions specific to the Swann NVR system.

1.) The system only comes with 60ft cat5 cables. While that will likely be long enough runs for most of my cameras, do you know if the quality of the cat5 cables that are provided are worth hassling with or should I seek a better quality cable? If I am upgrading the cables, is there any sense using cat6 cables?

2.) There is only 1 audio in port. Does that work with basically any rca type microphone? Is there a "go to" outdoor microphone that would be suitable for a frontdoor application?

3.) Do you happen to know if there is anything in particular that is commonly connected to the rs485 ports? (Am I correct in my understanding that there are 2 on this unit?)

4.) This is more of a general NVR question, but I have read about issues with over saturating the network etc. Most of what I have read has said that for a typical home application, that will not be an issue; however, my question is, are they mainly talking about IP cameras that plug directly into the home's router? It would seem that the NVR creates its own mini network of sorts, so even if it was 1,000 cameras, it would not affect the home network at all, unless it was streaming all of those cameras at once. Is that correct?

Thank you again!

SectorSecurity,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I truly appreciate it.

The image you provided for the power is basically what I was expecting. From the image of "whats included in the box" at costco, nothing similar to that appears to be shown. Do you have any idea if the system comes with one?

Also, if you have the time, I have a few more questions specific to the Swann NVR system.

1.) The system only comes with 60ft cat5 cables. While that will likely be long enough runs for most of my cameras, do you know if the quality of the cat5 cables that are provided are worth hassling with or should I seek a better quality cable? If I am upgrading the cables, is there any sense using cat6 cables?

2.) There is only 1 audio in port. Does that work with basically any rca type microphone? Is there a "go to" outdoor microphone that would be suitable for a frontdoor application?

3.) Do you happen to know if there is anything in particular that is commonly connected to the rs485 ports? (Am I correct in my understanding that there are 2 on this unit?)

4.) This is more of a general NVR question, but I have read about issues with over saturating the network etc. Most of what I have read has said that for a typical home application, that will not be an issue; however, my question is, are they mainly talking about IP cameras that plug directly into the home's router? It would seem that the NVR creates its own mini network of sorts, so even if it was 1,000 cameras, it would not affect the home network at all, unless it was streaming all of those cameras at once. Is that correct?

Thank you again!

I would assume the system is going to come with a 1 to 4 splitter, they usually do, if not they are only a few dollars to purchase.

If the 60FT cat5 cables will work then go with them, chances are they have used a good enough cable, if you are stay inside that is, if you are going outside you will want to look at an outdoor or direct buriel cable. The cables provided are going to be like any other patch cable you buy at the store.

If you are running your own cabling I always suggest to go CAT6 if you can afford it, but it isnt needed to run IP Cameras. There are several differences between 5e and 6 the main one being 6 supports gigabit speeds.

As for the microphone, yes any RCA mic should work, as for specific ones, I don't really work with mics so I am not to familiar with what is good to use.

The RS485 port is used for controlling PTZ cameras, you will only have to worry about this if you decide to go down that road.

As far as the network issue, you are mistaken, when you plug your IP cameras into your router you are adding them to your network, the data they send will have an impact on your network, if you only have a few I dont think it would be a problem, once you are talking many cameras say 64 cameras at 5MP then you are starting to look at network problems.

Usually this is only a problem on the connection from the DVR to the network, and only if you have a large number of cameras, once this is the case we like to go all gigabit on the backbone and have gigabit ethernet ports, switches and CAT6 cabling.

For your home use you most likely wont notice an issue, and if you do simply buy a second router and switch and put the NVR and cameras on their own network and just connect both networks together and utilize VLANS (again you most likely wont need this complexity for a small home IP camera setup)

Thank you again for the reply and for correcting where I went astray in my understanding.

Are PTZ cameras the only thing that can connect to the rs485 port(s)? (I do not know if it is 1 port or 2 on this unit?) I thought I heard others mentioned PIRs and motion detectors working with the unit, but I could be mistaken.

If I were to connect the cameras to the NVR, set everything up through my router, and then disconnect the NVR from the router, would it still function or is the NVR basically just a bridge with built in POE?

Thanks again!

The Swann has an alarm I/O input connector on the back, separate from the RS-485. This is where you'd connect external motion and PIR.

Unfortunately the manual download link only gives you the Spanish version, or I'd know more about it. I reckon I will just order the system and hope the English paper version is in the box.

Dave,

Thanks for the reply.

I am a little bit confused.

On this unit (the one I am now leaning towards): http://www.swann.com/s/products/view/?product=1541 , I do not seem to see any input explicitly labeled as PTZ. Here is a direct link to the image of the back. http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/10739091/module/swann/_cp/products/1361313949579/tab-4c195ec8-04d5-40fb-99c9-04fe3a6feab1/5686e027-a2e9-47cf-9d42-8f355dbd992e.jpg.web.v1.jpg Are you saying the green rs-485 is not the alarm input on this unit?

Can the port(s) that is labeled as alarm be used for PTZ? Also, can you confirm by visually looking at it if it has 1 or 2 alarm ports? It looks like it would be 2 to me, but I'm not positive.

Also, on the SDI unit, it does have an explicitly labeled PTZ input as well as an alarm input. http://media.webcollage.net/rwvfp/wc/cp/10402081/module/swann/_cp/products/1359752952773/tab-d0b4726a-b29d-4f1b-b313-820ca0000694/58ba64d0-5f95-4437-b1fb-8925f0f4e345.jpg.web.v1.960.jpg

Thanks for any clarification that you can provide!

No alarm inputs and outputs are for exactly that, alarm signals going in from things such as PIR motion sensors, and output going out to things such as sirens or lights.

The RS485 port is used for PTZ you will need a controller or an RS485 to RS232 converter this will allow you to connect and control your PTZ.

I have seen some box cameras which offer the ability to zoom in and out. I also just finished installing Digital Watchdog Dome cameras that had the the zoom function as well, I will look up the model numbers I ordered.

This pic might be a little clearer.

223635_1.jpg

The big green connector is labeled. Top right is RS-485 for PTZ control. Top left is alarm output. The bottom strip is for the alarm inputs.

It's easier to see if you click on the pic to see the full size.