Cop1015

Q-See vs Swann HD-SDI?

I am looking to upgrade my standard, low budget system to HD-SDI, basically for better quality video. I am on a budget, but willing to spend to get quality.

I have found that Q-See and Swann both make a 8 Channel HD-SDI package for about the same price, $1400-$1600.

Are these brands worth the money and is one preferred over the other? Should I piece a system together and if done so can I stay in the $1500 range? If the mentioned brands are not recommended, can you refer me to some preferred brands.

I am open to all opinions. Thanks in advance.

Can you outline a little more on what you are looking to accomplish with this system?

I usually frown upon packaged systems as you are usually stuck with exactly what comes in the package and this is usually 1 type of camera that does not usually fit all of the persons needs.

If you want something where you know everything has been provided and are willing to live with the limitations then go with a packaged system.

If you want something that can be customized to meet your needs and work exactly the way you want piece a system together, start slow, 1 or 2 camera and do something like blue iris running on a PC and work your way up from there.

I would like a DVR instead of storing footage on a pc. Camera wise I just want clear HD footage. I would eventually like to incorporate one PTZ cam, but not an immediate necessity. From research I think I would prefer ultra low LUX instead of IR cams. It is a residential subdivision so there is adiquate ambient light in the area.

A few years ago I wasted money on a ZMODO pre packaged system and don't want to make that mistake again. I just do not know where to even begin with finding high quality affordable DVRs and cams( referring to brands).

Thanks for your time and help.

You are going to be hard pressed on a 1400$ budget, even a cheap HD-SDI 8 channel is going for between 7-900$ right now. This does not leave you much to spend on cameras, cabling or any accessories needed.

Personally I have always found HD-SDI to be a failed attempt at trying to compete with IP cameras. I would say start out with a decent NVR and slowly add cameras to it.

Personally I have always found HD-SDI to be a failed attempt at trying to compete with IP cameras. I

Why "HD-SDI to be a failed attempt" ?

Personally I have always found HD-SDI to be a failed attempt at trying to compete with IP cameras. I

Why "HD-SDI to be a failed attempt" ?

Failed attempt may have been the wrong words, I just don't think it caught on as great as was expected as IP cameras have begun to drastically drop in price as of lately. I think HD-SDI was just a little to late for its time. This is just my personal opinion of course.

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum but was doing a bit of research on IP vs HD SDI.

I stubbled across this post and would like to give my input on the above aforementioned posts.

I have installed many HD SDI systems before but rarely get a customer wanting an IP CCTV system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, is a NVR/IP system more complicated than a HD/SDI DVR system to configure? IP / Network Forwarding, etc. (from a customer's POV.

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum but was doing a bit of research on IP vs HD SDI.

I stubbled across this post and would like to give my input on the above aforementioned posts.

I have installed many HD SDI systems before but rarely get a customer wanting an IP CCTV system.

Correct me if I'm wrong, is a NVR/IP system more complicated than a HD/SDI DVR system to configure? IP / Network Forwarding, etc. (from a customer's POV.

U have point

I sold many HD-SDI systems just for same reason

for lots of do it yourself customers