hellfire127

Can somebody tell me what I need to finish my CCTV?

I have someone completely redoing my parents' house. He has already ran CCTV RG59 cables. I googled the letters and numbers on the wire and they look like these:

http://www.dvrmart.com/mrt-asp-dvr_siamese-cl2rg59uwht-pid_434-ctt-product_detail.htm

It's the CCTV Combo RG59/U+18/2 wires. I bought a security camera system complete off Amazon and he told me those wont work due to the wires he already ran. We have a language barrier issue sometimes so I'm trying to figure out what cameras and dvr I need. I know the end of the wires will need the coaxial adapters, but I'm confused on the the rest of the wires and where they connect.

Just need a cheap complete system that will record for the house, cameras will be placed outside. Need 6 cameras but if it comes in a set of 8 then that's ok too.

Thanks, I'm a newbie in this topic.

Unless you are doing the install yourself, why did you enply someone that doesn't know what they ae doing to install the CCTV?

The answer comes down to a single word

MONEY

Those that buy cheap, buy twice and give everyone else a hard time about it, why won't some people ever listen?

I have earned lots of money sorting out the mess that some amateur who was already doing a job for the client

offered to do the CCTV install cheap and abandoned it oe=r made some excuse why it won't work.

If you can't do the job yourself for any reason, I wouldn't criticise you for that, but to get some rank amateur that

doesn't know what he is doing and as if that weren't bad enough to get one that doesn't speak the same language too?

I am not sure that offering you any advice would be worth bothering , for a start WOULD YOU LISTEN? I DOUBLE DOUBT IT!

The only helpful advice I can offer you is kick that idiot out of the house ( you can make him understand that can't you) draw loads of money from the bank and hire a professional CCTV installer( who speaks the same languages as you do). Trying to make something useful of it at this time is a waste of effort.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, it's simply the truth whether you like it or not the truth sometimes is not welcome...

Why would I get a TV repairman to fix my refrigerator? ANSWER.... I wouldn't

Finally, I hope you see sense and take my advice, you will be happier in the long run. best of luck...

Why won't the wires work with the new system? Did you get something that uses RCA connectors instead of BNC? Maybe the new system uses RJ45 (computer network) connectors? Doubt it if you want bargain basement but you never know. Communication eez everything...

Why won't the wires work with the new system? Did you get something that uses RCA connectors instead of BNC? Maybe the new system uses RJ45 (computer network) connectors? Doubt it if you want bargain basement but you never know. Communication eez everything...

You are probably right, it wouldn't occur to a foreign gardener to get electrical adaptors. woooould eeeet?

no disrespect meant to foreigners...

You will need pigtail power adapters or screw terminal power adapters and BNC connectors for RG59 cable.

Sounds like the person doing the work just wants extra money.

Only way it may not work is if you bought an NVR system which uses IP cameras, but I doubt that.

You will need these, both male and female:

And these:

RG59 W/ 18/2 is a very common wire used in analog CCTV installs.

power.jpg.0d1fb9e0e332dacdac44814e8ae7d81b.jpg

connectors.jpg.b2a3e2c6b22dc01cebf58ba67e7445db.jpg

What system did you buy that he said won't work?

If he just ran wire and left buying the system up to you, he's probably talking about the premade cables that came with your package. It's possible that you can use everything in the package you bough except the cables, because he's already run raw cable. In which case, and nice little set to make your package work with the cables already run would be this-

http://www.amazon.com/Siamese-Twist--connector-Connector-Stripper/dp/B007ZX8DNG/ref=sr_1_fkmr3_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371955889&sr=8-3-fkmr3&keywords=male+and+female+twist+on+bnc+combo

That's all the connections he'd need to make it all work. BUT, you have to tell us what dvr package system you bought.

The guy is a family friend who is in construction. He is remodeling our whole house, we bought a house in foreclosure and it pretty much needs to be completely remodeled.

I bought the Night Owl Security STA-88 Night Owl Security 8 Channel STA DVR with 8 Night Vision Cameras 500 GB HD and Smartphone Viewing, 30-Feet

I don't need a professional set or professional installer, heck I was even considering putting up dummy cameras outside just to prevent thieves but my parents just told me to buy a cheapo set. The house is in a good neighborhood in Flushing, NY and I myself don't see any reason of having one. So I figure a $400-$500 dvr set would be more than enough.

EDIT: Yeah it was just the premade wires that confused me after looking at the wires he installed. I guess I was just confused on what connectors/adapters to get to make the connection from the individual cameras to the dvr.

EDIT: Yeah it was just the premade wires that confused me after looking at the wires he installed. I guess I was just confused on what connectors/adapters to get to make the connection from the individual cameras to the dvr.

Communication eez everything and Sector's pics were the right 1000 words. Glad it is cleared up and simple. Worst case would've been if you'd bought an NVR with IP network cameras and needed new wires run. That would've been faster than installing the first set of shotgun cables (because it looks like a double-barreled shotgun) though because you could've just taped/tied the Cat5 network cable to the original stuff and pulled it through.

Communication eez everything and Sector's pics were the right 1000 words. Glad it is cleared up and simple. Worst case would've been if you'd bought an NVR with IP network cameras and needed new wires run. That would've been faster than installing the first set of shotgun cables (because it looks like a double-barreled shotgun) though because you could've just taped/tied the Cat5 network cable to the original stuff and pulled it through.

ah i see thanks, i will most likely order that set provided by Sector and order something like the Swann Security Camera System off Amazon.

The pigtails are handy to have always keep about 15 of each on me. Don't use them so much with 24 volt cameras but they come in handy on repair jobs and 12V cams.

Just remember to get RG59 BNC compression connectors, or crimp if you dont have a compression tool, if you get RG6 they are slightly bigger and will not fit correctly.

Yes those are the screw terminal power adapters I spoke of, I also love them as they are quicker and cleaner then installing the pigtails.

Just remember to only strip enough wire to seat the wire in the terminal, if you strip back to much with the screw terminals you can end up with your positive and negative touching and will cause problems.

Yes those are the screw terminal power adapters I spoke of, I also love them as they are quicker and cleaner then installing the pigtails.

Just remember to only strip enough wire to seat the wire in the terminal, if you strip back to much with the screw terminals you can end up with your positive and negative touching and will cause problems.

gotcha, and the individual cameras should connect to these connectors from its input to the dvr correct?

No, that is if you are asking about the power, the power does not plug into the DVR it plugs into the provided power supply.

The BNC connectors go into the DVR.

No, that is if you are asking about the power, the power does not plug into the DVR it plugs into the provided power supply.

The BNC connectors go into the DVR.

Ok I understand about the BNC to the DVR now. I'm a total noob to this system, please bare with me lol. I'm just trying to picture all the connectors here.

The individual cameras themselves have a BNC input and a dc power input right? Where does the other end of the dc power connector go to, the end to power the cameras. In Amazon's pictures for the Swann set, I see the description says it includes power adapters and splitters but I only see one power brick in the picture.

The other end goes wherever the central location he ran the wires to inside your house. You put the dvr there. The bnc connectors on that end each go to the dvr channels- and hopefully they are at least labeled on each end so you know what wire is which! The power jacks on that end would going into separate power adapters in a power strip right there, or maybe the power adapter for the swann you're looking at has a four way power adapter in which case you'd hook up four to that. Or sometimes people use a power box, where all cameras go to that one box and it powers all the cameras. But the inside where all your cables come in- that's where you put the dvr and power for the system.

oaVRGFPQUHg

The other end goes wherever the central location he ran the wires to inside your house. You put the dvr there. The bnc connectors on that end each go to the dvr channels- and hopefully they are at least labeled on each end so you know what wire is which! The power jacks on that end would going into separate power adapters in a power strip right there, or maybe the power adapter for the swann you're looking at has a four way power adapter in which case you'd hook up four to that. Or sometimes people use a power box, where all cameras go to that one box and it powers all the cameras. But the inside where all your cables come in- that's where you put the dvr and power for the system.

oaVRGFPQUHg

ah i see now, the video finally gave me the clear picture. Looks like the Swann does come with a power adapter with splitter as mentioned in the description.

I should be able to install it myself now that I see how everything connects together.

Thanks a lot for the help! If you or anybody else has any other suggestions such another brand other than Swann then let me know. Budget is around $400-500 but willing to pay little more if quality/video are significantly better.