Sign in to follow this  
shockwave199

Boxed systems- really ready for prime time?

I just had one of my analog bullets fail. I have another at the ready for just this reason- cameras fail. I could even take the opportunity to upgrade to a better camera. The choices are endless and not much money. The camera that failed lasted for over two years and took a good deal of punishment, hanging tough through blizzards, hurricanes, monsoon rains, brutal heat and brutal cold.

As much as anyone, I'd like to upgrade to an IP system too. Who wouldn't. right? I've held off and probably will continue to do so for a number of different reasons, including budget. But this camera failing got me to thinking about another obvious [or not so] concern. What if this is a swann or lorex or qsee bullet up there and after a couple years, it craps out? I'm mostly stuck having to get that manufactures replacement. And I have to buy a two pack and hope they're in stock at the moment or I lose coverage. Not to mention, I better have the money at the moment. Or I have to spend the money up front and just get a two pack so I have extras. And who knows what costco will actually be carrying down the line. Cameras take a beating from year to year. It's pretty much a given one will fail along the way- with luck, only one. Every time my cameras survive extreme weather and temperatures I breath a sigh of relief. I'd be even more worried with much more expensive cameras out there.

I know it's obvious- all these new cameras haven't had time to really be put to the test. It's a gamble at this point, imo. And with IP/MP systems such as the costco offerings not truly being open to third party choices, in this early stage of the game it's almost like your buying an analog system that uses din cables and cameras like old lorex stuff. You're kind boxing yourself in buying a boxed system- literally. And that makes me wonder when I think about installing a system- are all these products REALLY ready for prime time? Because if they aren't and the cameras end up being delicate, finicky beats over time, the one who gets royally screwed is ME.

I've thought the same thing Shock. While the all in one systems are great right now for the DIY. Professional installers and low budget installers (like myself) i don't think it fits our bill. I've recently started carrying AVTech. Their equipment fits my bill and what i'm looking to offer and i can mix and match instead off the all in one package.As you know,the same camera just doesn't always fit the location it's going in.So i build the system around the project. Right now i'm testing out the new AVTech AVN813. I tried this cam looking out a window like a customer might want to and it worked, but it would need an external trigger to accurately detect motion from inside. Now i've got it mounted inside the room and it works 100% just like Buell noted on his blog. Cube cams are becoming more popular for indoor coverage of pets, kids, etc. Next i'll be testing the AVM542A, their only exterior dome cam.

Yup, feel your pain. But by this same logic, you'd never buy a computer, since it will be obsolete in a year or two; nature of the beast.

Mine isn't even delivered yet. However, I already know I'd like to try some domes, and Swann isn't offering IP domes at present. Will the Lorex's work in this system? Neither of them is going to guarantee that (bet they will work, but it is a bet, and might require warranty-voiding flash updates). Or, do I throw the dice on aliexpress with some HK supplier that is out of reach of law and hand?

Hikvision themselves seem like a pretty good bet, being well established in the limited distribution market.

In my case, getting the wire around was the biggest project, and as long as it stays intact, I can leap to the next thing later if I must. All we can do is string 'em up and see how long they last. I have finally taken the leap and will just roll with the punches. I can't get any smarter about it just reading the forums. It's not that much $$$ in the grand scheme of things.

The burglars may just take the whole rig, for all I know. Securing the NVR is occupying my thoughts at present.

Shockwave in a way I agree. IP camera systems are moving even faster than computers are today. What you buy today is obsolete tomorrow. The standards seem to be working toward being universal but haven’t gotten there yet. You have to decide when is the right time to jump in and hope you made the right decision.

I upgraded a few months ago when the Dahua systems seemed to be the way to go for the DYI installer. It is amazing how many changes have taken place since. I will say though that what I have setup is light years ahead of the old analog 8 channel DVR system I had before.

I bought a 16 channel Dahua NVR and have 6 - 1.3mp cameras recording full time. With 4TB of hard drives it gives me about a month of recording time in case I need to go back and review something. The quality of the picture(s) is so much better without any artifacting or the mess you see with analog / BNC connectors. It is also nicer to just run cat-5 cables to the cameras.

I have my NVR, POE switch and battery backup in a hidden place so if someone broke in while we were away they would be unlikely to find it. The remote software is also great on my smart phone.

I do have one more camera I haven’t hooked up yet. Maybe I should keep it as a spare. I just figure in about 5 years it will be time for a complete upgrade. Buy whatever is the latest and sell my old stuff to someone who want’s a good deal on a used system that works.

Well I got the Lorex system.

Cost?

$850.00 to my house.

4 Cameras = $175 each retail $700.00 And should work under any NVR, Software as Hikvision.

2TB Hard drive Retail $100.00

8 Port PoE Retail $100.00

4 100 FT cat 5e cables Retail $50

So cost of NVR... $0.00 Is a nice Back up to whatever PC based NVR I want to use.

Ahhh Redundancy

So, I don't feel so bad, I haven't lost a thing.

Meh. That nvr doesn't work for my needs. As much as it sounds like I'd be the software or pc nvr type because of increased flexibility, I actually much prefer hardware nvr's. The the hikvision [lorex] nvr that's available at costco now seems like it will soon be old news. This one does 5mp and is actually available now-

http://www.hikvision.com/en/us/Products_show.asp?id=4142

It's a rapidly changing market for these things and no one unit fits the bill for me yet, so I'll bide my time as planned.

Meh. That nvr doesn't work for my needs. As much as it sounds like I'd be the software or pc nvr type because of increased flexibility, I actually much prefer hardware nvr's. The the hikvision [lorex] nvr that's available at costco now seems like it will soon be old news. This one does 5mp and is actually available now-

It's a rapidly changing market for these things and no one unit fits the bill for me yet, so I'll bide my time as planned.

That is the one I have. But with Lorex firmware. Hope one day I can get the Hikvision firmware.

That one is $399 Without HDD. currently.

so 700 in cameras and 100 for HDD and 399 for NVR you are good to go. $1199. for a OEM hikvision system is not so bad.

That is the one I have. But with Lorex firmware. Hope one day I can get the Hikvision firmware.

so 700 in cameras and 100 for HDD and 399 for NVR you are good to go. $1199. for a OEM hikvision system is not so bad.

You can get the firmware from the US ftp site of Hikvision.

Another user on here has updated theirs to use it, I haven't tried it myself, although I did download it.

It's still missing a key thing I want- alarm in/out. That's a deal breaker for me. So it's between dahua, swann, or even q-see for the rebranded dahua.

You can get the firmware from the US ftp site of Hikvision.

Another user on here has updated theirs to use it, I haven't tried it myself, although I did download it.

I to have the NVR firmware."DS-76xxNI-SE(P) USA Firmware_V2.3.3". I thought there was some kind of SN/ID that stops the firmware from working>>??

If it works, hell I may give it a go.

Edit for Firmware info