Sign in to follow this  
dvarapala

What's Your Favorite Outdoor Camera Housing for Box Cameras?

I recently purchased an Axis P1347 and I'm getting ready to put it outside. Up to this point I have been buying cameras which came with their own weatherproof housings, so I lack experience with what types of housings are available. I know Axis makes one that would obviously work, but I'd like to find something a little less expensive if I can.

In looking around there seem to be billions and billions of different brands and models; which ones are the easiest to work with/most flexible/most reliable/etc.? For example, some housings have a flip-open top, while others are more of a tube into which the camera slides; the flip-open type seems like it would be easier to focus and adjust the iris. Any drawbacks to the flip-open design, e.g. less waterproof? Is there a better style I should consider?

What housing brands/models do you guys like to use?

I don't remember which brand I buy would have to look at my invoices, but I have never gotten a customer complaint with the flip open top ones, there these can be a problem is if a customer wants them mounted under an overhang or similar area, then you can run into problems with not having enough room to flip open the housing.

I don't know where you are located so I dont know if you would need a heater and blower but these usually only add a couple of dollars to the price.

Just make sure any housing you get is wide enough to fit the camera.

I don't know where you are located so I dont know if you would need a heater and blower but these usually only add a couple of dollars to the price.

Thanks for the reply. I'm in SoCal, so I can probably get away without the heater and blower.

I use 4" PVC pipe and 4" PVC cap. The cap holds all the wires. A 3/4" hole for in the bottom of the cap for the cable taped and sealed shut works fine. Mine are in the woods on trees and painted camo. Has worked so far in the summer and through very rainy season.

I use 4" PVC pipe and 4" PVC cap. The cap holds all the wires. A 3/4" hole for in the bottom of the cap for the cable taped and sealed shut works fine. Mine are in the woods on trees and painted camo. Has worked so far in the summer and through very rainy season.

This sounds like a great solution for making your own game cameras, however I don't know many customers who would be willing to go for this idea, still I like it though.

I use 4" PVC pipe and 4" PVC cap. The cap holds all the wires. A 3/4" hole for in the bottom of the cap for the cable taped and sealed shut works fine.

What did you use as the "window?" I actually thought of doing this, but couldn't find anything like a clear polycarbonate pipe cap to cover the end of the pipe that the camera has to see out of.

This sounds like a great solution for making your own game cameras, however I don't know many customers who would be willing to go for this idea, still I like it though.

I have seen at least one install posted on the web where the owner mounted his cameras inside of short lengths of PVC pipe which were then painted to match his house. The cameras were Vivotek IP8332-type cameras (i.e. cylindrical and already weatherproof) so his pipes are just left open at either end. If I could find a similar solution that is weatherproof it would actually be perfect for my needs.

Here, that would have a family of house finches within a week; spiders rest of the year.

I don't mind the finches much in general, but their nesting in every nook and cranny has caused various issues with hardware and flora.