carlton

Swann/Lorex 3rd Party Camera Compatibility

Hi there - I've searched high/low and have even contacted Swann CS which was a bit of a disaster to find out if their NVRs support 3rd party cameras. I currently have 2 Arecont 3130s and am using Exacq, running on an ancient Dell laptop. I'm looking to add an additional 5 IP cams and would prefer to go the NVR w/POE appliance route.

I am looking at this system (http://www.costco.com/Swann-8-Channel-HD-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-4-1080p-IP-Cameras.product.100027599.html) but want to make sure my current cameras are compatible.

Does anyone know if Swann/Lorex/etc support 3rd party cameras?

Not sure. there is the option.. I say buy it.. of not take it to the store and return it. I don't have any other cams to test.

I just added another Hik cam to it.

I just purchased that same system.

When logging into the NVR and heading over to the Camera configuration screen, there is an option to add a camera using the ONVIF protocol. So theoretically it should be possible to add ONVIF compatible cameras. Theoretically.

I have a single ACTI E84 which is ONVIF compatible. I tried adding it to the Swann NVR - I could connect , but was not able to view the live stream of the camera.

I'm thinking about trying out the HIKVISION firmware on the Swann DVR to see if that makes a difference. Anyone know where I can get the HIKVISION firmware thats compatible with the NVR8-7200 Swann dvr?

I would not count on it working. Buy it from a place that will except no hassle returns. That's the only thing you can do. Far as I can tell, ONIF means almost nothing. You have to try your specific cameras and just see if it fully works.

Thanks for the link.

Downloaded the firmware and tried installing it - wouldn't accept it. Tried doing a remote upgrade as well as using a thumb drive - both didn't work. Is there anything special I need to do before hand?