buellwinkle

Synology Camera License, where to get?

I read older post showing $139 for a 4 pack camera license for Synology Camera Station. Is that still available? Best I found was about $50 shipped per camera.

Synology has been working pretty well on my HP Microserver, so I may give it a chance with more cameras. My only real complaint with it is that it's slow to go from one clip to another on playback, like a 10 second or so while it finds the next clip. I'm just afraid that it may get slower with more data so I'm going to give it a while to see what it's like and try the smart search feature over time and the Android app. If you see a better deal than $189 for 4, let me know.

I concur with your concerns, but maybe you can just do a defrag or something?

not to be rude or XYZ is the best here, but I think this is why most of Milestone's solutions that are capable of more than 8 camera's have the ability to archive to a NAS, it seems that all the streams (in fragmented form) get dumped to local/fast storage on your chosen server, then the Milestone software defrags it as it offloads to the nas, in theory reducing the fragmentation which kills the speed on old rotating hard drives...

flicking back to a single stream in playback mode takes around 3 seconds on our server, more if you do playback on multiple camera's at the same time, maybe it's just limited to disk speed? we're just using the cheap $200 4tb Seagates

with synology and the drive formatting, i dont think you get fragments?

All file systems can be fragmented, if you're only using a single camera this will not be you're issue though, a few seconds to change between live and playback does not sound like an issue to me, I suspect if you want faster you'll probably find half of that time is the software changing over to playback mode and the rest going and hunting for the playback streams, so you'd probably want to change over to SSD's, and the way that Video streams write, I don't know how long an SSD would last.

they are getting cheaper though! for some of our other servers we've bought 800GB SSD's that are 2k each... good for 8tb per day for 5 years...