lvzx14

System setup question(s)

Hello,

First thing first my name is Aaron and I am new to the forum to would like to say hello to everyone. I hope this is the correct section to ask this? If not I apologize in advance.

I have a vacation property in vail colorado that I am looking to add in 1 or 2 camera's to. I live in las vegas so I thought the extra security would give me more peace of mind. I am thinking of adding a camera near the front door and another towards the back sliding glass door. Thinking indoor camera's but might consider outdoor as well if it makes more sense. I currently have internet thru comcast as well as a router(wifi ready) at my property so pretty much want to see what my option's are and what would be the simplest way to go about adding a couple camera's to my property.

Since I live in vegas I would like to have the video feed stored on my home computer if that is possible? Do I need a dvr at my vacation property or can I just use my internet/router setup? I was also curious if it were possible to add a dvr at my home in vegas and have the video stream straight to that from my vacation property over the internet.

I have been reading up and doing as much research as I can on the subject but thought I would see what advice some of you might have or if any of you have similar setup's.

If there are any additional information I can give please let me know. I GREATLY appreciate any help/advice on how to go about getting this system setup and thank you for taking the time to answer my question(s).

First off, what's the hardware budget? Second, what kind of internet connection is available at your vacation spot? You'll need something with really nice upload capacity to send to your home in Vegas.

If the budget isn't too small, if it were me I'd probably stick a few Axis P3364 domes up. Add an L, a V, and an E to the end of the 64 if you want Light (IR), Vandalproof, or Environmentproof. Great low-light capabilities without IR unless it's quite dark, built-in storage (64gig SD card capable so if they find the NVR you have backup video), alarm capable (records only when a PIR is activated- very important if you're transferring video over the 'net), and NAS capable (hide a NAS somewhere so they can't steal the NVR and cams and get all the video). They'll run by themselves or you can have a computer or NVR there to backup the data and make checking video easier. They also work nicely with 940nm (invisible) IR if you don't want to use white light or have glowing red LEDs for some reason. They're 1.3mp which is a nice compromise between detail and video bandwidth, which is also good if you want to mirror the recordings over the 'net. I've got a couple at my place that I like.

Oh, and make sure the video system isn't your only security system. I'd consider it complementary to a monitored cellular-based alarm system hooked to the local police station. I'd rather scare them off with alarms or have the police catch them still in the act rather than have awesome video of burglars with masks on that had hours of free time because I blew my budget on cams and didn't pay for an alarm system as well.

Make sure you post pics of your Ninja from the cams so we can verify the video quality, ok?

I agree, it all comes down to budget and bandwidth.

A DVR might be you best best for price and ease of installation. Look for a decent one that will transmit video to you at various codecs. This will optimize the speed of the signal to you but still let you record locally at a higher definition.

IP cameras are great, but most residential services don't have the bandwidth for transmission.

The option I use at my vacation home is a SaaS system. Software as a Service. The cameras record and send the data to. A hosting service. I can view them at anytime from anywhere in the world 24/7. If an alarm is detected, either by pixellation change of the camera and/ or an input, a video clip is taken of the activity and sent via text message to my cell phone.

The hard data is stored off site in NY and Texas.

Hey guys,

Thank you for the help, I'm currently typing this from my phone so when I get home I will answer your questions more in depth.

As far as budget goes I was thinking around $500 give or take but I'm flexible on the budget if it makes more sense to add things...etc

My Internet connection I want to say is 2mb down and up but might actually be faster than that so I will double check to make sure.

Pretty much I was curious if there was a way to add a couple wifi cameras to my network at the property that I can access from my home. I do like the idea of it recording when it senses movement if that actually works? I've read about people using DVR boxes to store video I just wasn't sure if that was something I could do with out or have here at my home. Pretty much the less on location the better if possible.

I appreciate all the help as this is turning out to be pretty confusing. I do have an alarm system that's monitored I just thought adding 2 cameras might give me some more peace of mind.