stpetecoyote

H.264 DVR Networking Setup Help!?!?

Greetings.

I am trying to help a friend set up his DVR system to be accessed over the interwebs.

The DVR manufacturer is H.264

The Router is Lynksys

The manuals I have been able to find have been pretty...limited with regards to the network setup, or at least not dumbed down enough for me.

Let me describe what I HAVE been able to do:

I have been able to setup the DVR on my local network and can access the DVR via a browser using the ports from the DVR. Defaults were 34567 and 80 for HTTP. I have since changed those ports but am still able to access so I know the ports themselves are working (right?)

Using the Lynksys router setup, I went to the gaming menu and set up port forwarding for the above ports. Restarted bothe router and DVR, double checked settings and attempted to access from outside my network. No connection. I tried changing the ports on both the port forwarding and DVR in case there was some interference with something that he already had set up. Still nothing.

Right now I am at a loss, as any instructions/tips/tutorials/tricks seem to stop there.

Some things I think MIGHT be getting in the way are:

The cable modem --- could settings in the modem be stopping an outside signal from accessing the router?

Router Firewall --- disable and try?

He limits wireless clients to certain MAC addresses, if the outside computer is not on that list will that prevent access even though I am not using his wireless network?

Any other suggestions I might try? Better ports to use for a H.264 DVR?

Thanks for any help

Kris

Greetings.

I am trying to help a friend set up his DVR system to be accessed over the interwebs.

The DVR manufacturer is H.264

The Router is Lynksys

The manuals I have been able to find have been pretty...limited with regards to the network setup, or at least not dumbed down enough for me.

Let me describe what I HAVE been able to do:

I have been able to setup the DVR on my local network and can access the DVR via a browser using the ports from the DVR. Defaults were 34567 and 80 for HTTP. I have since changed those ports but am still able to access so I know the ports themselves are working (right?)

Using the Lynksys router setup, I went to the gaming menu and set up port forwarding for the above ports. Restarted bothe router and DVR, double checked settings and attempted to access from outside my network. No connection. I tried changing the ports on both the port forwarding and DVR in case there was some interference with something that he already had set up. Still nothing.

Right now I am at a loss, as any instructions/tips/tutorials/tricks seem to stop there.

Some things I think MIGHT be getting in the way are:

The cable modem --- could settings in the modem be stopping an outside signal from accessing the router?

Router Firewall --- disable and try?

He limits wireless clients to certain MAC addresses, if the outside computer is not on that list will that prevent access even though I am not using his wireless network?

Any other suggestions I might try? Better ports to use for a H.264 DVR?

Thanks for any help

Kris

I can tell you right now H.264 is not the manufacture, H.264 is a video compression standard, this term is often used to sell cheap rebranded units that actually have no name.

The ports do not matter, you can assign what ever ports you want.

You need to determine your external IP and use that outside of your network like MindTwist stated.

The MAC address filtering is only for clients attempting to join the LAN, this will have no affect on external connections, this is not to say the firewall will not block them, so I would suggest turn the firewall off until you get it working then enable it if it still works great, if not you need to change your firewall settings.

Thanks, Yeah I figured the "brand" of the DVR was just a generic for people to resell...but it is the only identifying "branding" or marking I have to reference.

I did use canyouseeme.org, and a couple of other services last night to no avail. Somehow the port forwarding is just not getting through. My best guess is the cisco modem stopping things coming in before the router?

Okay...I went in and manually entered my own port number for each, http, media, and mobile. Set up the associated port forwarding and show an open port using canyouseeme.

And.......stuck again

I am able to log in using the HTTP port and my browser...no problems.

I have used every free app in the app store that I can find using the mobile port. There are some others but I don't want to pay just to try one out and not have it work. None will connect to the cameras. I have contacted the seller on eBay that my friend purchased his system from...the service is prompt....but obviously from china and not breaking through that language barrier. He purchased the system quite some time ago so returning is not an option.

Using a kmeye app I AM connecting to the DVR system and getting through the port but no video (I can use the DVR and see that my user ID is connected 4 times ---assuming to the 4 different camers).

I am uploading a picture from their eBay...don't want to link to the actual posting 'cuz I'm pretty sure I don't want to advertise for them! Has anyone had any luck setting up a system like the one pictured? The system itself is pretty nice and the software is user friendly (at least compared to my cheap system that HAS a name brand and some kind of support)

Thanks again for your help.

2090245459_T2eC16N!y0E9s2S5uQ1BRnwQZnwtQ60_35.JPG.058f2e848799f27a90f7434e342c0534.JPG

You say you can login, does this mean it is working correctly when you login over the internet, ie you are getting video or are you simply able to login then a blank screen, this may mean you are missing a codec, plugin, or ActiveX control.

What results are you getting on your mobile phone? Perhaps if you could provide a screenshot of what you are seeing when you login through the web with internet explorer or your browser of choice we may be better able to help solve your problem.

For the web/http login everything is working great both on the local network and from outside. Now I am just stuck with the mobile aspect. The activex settings have all been changed and are working fine.

I have since received word that kmeye is the app they recommend. But still not getting though all the way. I pop up on my dvr as being an outside connection and it shows my iPhone ip. But I am still unable to get picture on the iPhone

Step by step instructions for networking you DVR:

Connect your DVR to your router

Enter your DVR’s menu and go to networking to assign an internal IP and gateway this can be done automatically by selecting DHCP.The Local IP must be in the same Gateway range as the Router.

If you are unsure you can check this by going to your start menu on your computer selecting check run, type cmd and click enter. In the command prompt type ipconfig. Look for Gateway. If the Gateway is 192.168.1.1, then you can make the DVR’s IP anything from 192.168.1.2 – 192.168.1.255.

Also you will need to use the same SubNet Mask, which is typically 255.255.255.0, and also use the same gateway.

Next find out what ports your DVR uses. The easiest way to it is by reading the manual of your DVR. Look for the network section of it.In many cases it will be as simple as just Port 80, which is an HTTP port.

Set your router to forward chosen port to internal IP address of DVR.To access the Router, use the Default Gateway you just located, enter it into your web browser and then click the Enter. A username and a password will be required, these vary depending on you router. For Linksys use “admin”, “admin”. By default DLink doesn’t require any username or password. Sky is “admin”,”sky”. Virgin Media just requires a password “changeme”.

Once you’re logged into the Router, in the Applications & Gaming Section / Servers of the Router, you need to add a Server/Application. Enter the port number and select UDP/TCP. Where it says Port 0 to 0 enter the same port number twice. Where is ask for IP address enter the address you assigned you DVR earlier.

Set up additional entries for as many ports the DVR uses, to the same local IP. Check your DVR manual and it’s networking section for all additional ports required like mobile port. Once you have added all the required ports to your router, you can go to canyouseeme.org to check if you have done this successfully.

Next you need to set up a DNS if you don’t have a static IP address chances are you wont have one unless you are a business or have specifically asked your internet service provider for one. Check with your DVR’s Instructions to see what DNS services are compatible, a good one and one I like to use is changeip.com. Sign up with change ip go to the dns manager section and sign up for a free DDNS which should look something like this example.dynamic-dns.net if you want a .com you have to pay .net is FREE. once you have registered your DNS go to your DVR’s network setting and enter the DDNS details required.

Once you’ve done all this download the application that is compatible with your DVR go to the menu and select add device. Enter your new DNS in the address bar and the mobile port which you added to your router earlier. Click save and go to live view. ALL DONE!!!

If all that was a little to much for you don’t worry feel free to message the support team at Randall’s Security for assistance. Just visit http://www.randalls-security.co.uk

hi there

i have exactly the same Generic DVR and exactly the same problem. I can view videos internally IE on the intranet but can't get the streaming to work remotely.

For reference I changed my TCP and HTTP Ports to 85 and 86 but still no dice. Can log on, but get blank or Quicktime logo buffering screens instead of video.

All comments and feedback appreciated.

I have my cameras indoors and they work great in daytime BUT at night, the infrared lights shine on windows and it reflects to the inside of the windows where you can't see the outside. Tried turning off porch lights, interior lights, etc. Without any resolution.  

How can I remedy this situation? I  read somewhere to try turning the  IR off but I have no manual,  setup disk, or controller with this system.  It was used. All cameras work. I put in hard drive. 

It's the EXACT same system that you show here. Would it be possible for you to copy the setup disk and send to me?

Any idea where I can get a controller for panning?

Thank you, 

Stephanie 

Hi getting IR to work through windows never works it just blinds out the camera 

switching IR off still leaves your IR filter in place unless you have something like a flood light outside of window