RIPE

Getting Port # With RS232 and NCOM Program

I have the DVR problem mentioned on this site many times. The vendor said to go out and buy an RS-232 to USB cable so I went to Amazon. The Dahua DVR has male pins sticking out so I needed a female serial DB9 RS232 cable. I opted for a male serial DB9 RS232 cable and a female to female coupler.

Okay, so far so good. Plugged the serial cable into the DVR and the USB end into my laptop. I opened the NCOM program and waited for the, "Hit any button to stop boot process." There was never a message and I could never get into DEBUG mode.

The DVR kept booting completely. Anyone ever get a DVR into "debug mode" and how did you do it?

Thanks in advance. Check your email account for a Paypal money transfer. Can't see the attached image? Click on the plus sign which opens another window. Click the expand full screen button.

1426228088_GetRS232infoforDVR-N5_resized.thumb.jpg.6add49027f6da53be15a89ef5f6f38e2.jpg

These are the parts:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HYDLIU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00425S1H8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After attaching the serial cable, I opened the NCOM program on laptop, rebooted the DVR and waited for a message to “hit any key to prevent a reboot,” and every time the DVR would boot up completely and not go into debug mode. The vendor didn’t offer any answer. Then the vendor sent me the firmware and a tool. It is in one of these posts:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36656&p=225159#p225159

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36655

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36644

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36656

We jumped through hoops to find a serial cable. Thanks for replying to my post. Any help is appreciated.

Without specific instructions on how to do it I wouldn't know how to connect to anything like Putty, etc.

Edited by Guest

Sorry for the delay. I'm working on getting my wife to turn on the laptop so I can access it with Teamviewer.

Okay, I see the Prolific serial port and (COMM 5) in Device Manager. Under Advanced it says 9600 bits per second. Not sure if that was important to know using NCOM. The screen showed 11XXX BPS and Port 1. Maybe it should have been set to 9600 and Port 5.

I could be way off on this though. Just speculation.

181264602_DeviceManagerProlificUSBtoSerialCommPort(COM5).thumb.png.04d0983221d8b16907723eee1198c3c1.png