Robert Oaks

Want To Purchase Digital Video recorders

I have about had it with ordering parts, building the computer, installing the Geo cards, and the agrivating and long setup procedures.

I want to purchase good quality, 12 to 16 channel recorders, at a good price, and with good backup support (if needed). I do NOT want credit terms.

Where can I find a good reliable distributor on the East coast? Thank you very much.

Check out these guys. You can just set up an account without credit terms.

http://www.sdepot.com/about/branches/nc.html

Get a price on a Kalatel DVMRe-CT Digital Video Recorder, they come in 10 and 16 channels, 60pps, simple setup, you can add archiving to it when you want from their DVSe Digital Storage Rackmountable Devices, which come in 40-2000GB storage each unit. You can also use Raid for archiving, or DAT. The remote software is simple to use.

Here is the link to a spec sheet.

http://www.geindustrial.com/products/specs/dvmre_triplex_2hdd_prd.pdf

And the manual:

http://www.geindustrial.com/products/manuals/dvmre_triplex_man.pdf

You can install one of these in just a few minutes, fully programmed, as there is really no programming to do other than basic stuff like camera titles, record speeds, etc. They have other features you can use if you want to, but most times you wont need to, though they are there if you want it.

The DVMRe-CT is the high end Kalatel Unit, they also have a cheaper one, less features, 30pps, called the StoreSafe. If you want to put the recorded in a lock box, then you will need the StoreSafe, size of a regular VCR.

There is a new DVMRe PRO coming out probably in the Summer, 120pps, built in CDRW, and similar size to the StoreSafe, but features of the DVMRe-CT and then some, not until the summer though probably.

Rory

If you dont want to spend 'that much', Provideo has a 16 channel 120GB with IP, 60pps, that is much cheaper. Its a stand alone linux embedded, CDRW, and removable standard HDD. Howver their remote software is not great, but it works and is not a PC card

There are also a number of online CCTV stores that can sell you kalatel, Provideo, or others, just do a search, or email me.

Rory

The best way is to first find out what DVR brand you want.. for example if you want Geo... then tell Geo you want full machines and they will tell you the closest Re-Seller... Standalones are pretty slow still.. but it is agood idea to haev machine built by experts

Stand Alones have acceptable speeds for secuity recording, with old VCRs having approx. 3.2 fps total speeds, and stand alones with either 30-60pps. These are not slow in security standards, maybe in PC video processing but then what are you using the DVR for?

60pps is a standard in high end stand alones, while cheaper Linux Stand Alones can range to 120 or more fps, and alot of cheap PC cards have come out with low cost 480pps cards, claiming they are better because of the recording speed, while they are much less stable, more confusing remote / local software, harder to set up, crash, and alot more cons than pros, especially in a security application where stability is one of the main requirements. If i was to go cheap, id buy a linux stand alone over a PC card any day though.

Standalones (most, at least the more expensive ones) also have CCTV multiplexers and full high quality local video monitoring, which PCs cannot match.

If you want a PC, then buy one, then again you can get 30fps from a quickCam also

You will have to pay for greater stability, and or greater application features.

In other words, the cheaper it is, no matter whether it is PC or Stand Alone, will not be as good as the more expensive ones.

I agree and disagree with you Rory,,,, 60FPS is SLOW.. I know its faster than timelapse but who does that naymore.. On average a standalone that is AFFORDABLE is only 25Fps to get to 50Fps it is way too expensive for a standalone machine...

Funny that people that are so into standlones always say it is fast enough... with Geovision you can choose between 16, 25, 50, 75, 100, 200, 400 Fps... The Gv600 (25Fps is about to be discontinued and I sell more Gv800 (100Fps) than any other card.. so go figure.. I would say that 50 Fps is adequate but way too expensive for a machine that can not be upgraded easily and is limited in features.. Mind you the Kalatel is the second best standalone I have seen, it really is quite impressive.. the main reason is its PC based architecture which allows for development....what happens when the video chip dies or the CPU in a standlone... you have to pull the whole machine out... with a PC it is as simple as changing the component.

yes, the one thing I agree with is when there is a problem, you have to send back the entire stand alone unit. But 60pps is normal in security recording, for now, but as they try to compete with the cheaper units they will get higher such as 100+. If it were slow, then so many banks, and other high end applications would not be using it.

I wouldnt say people that are into stand alones, you have to look at it from the security side of it, a stand alone DVR, that can be placed in a DVR lockbox, no PC, no monitor, no windows OS, and the speed is not so much an issue as is stability and security of the DVR. PC systems were primarily used by computer companies that got into the business using PCI capture cards.

See a stand alone DVR is generally a multiplexer, which is needed in CCTV, Local quality video (not via a network or PC, direct to CCTV monitor), and security, come first in my applications, remote video is 2nd, and if it has it, then I want it plain and simple to use, just want to play back or view live, that makes everyones life easier. Sure I can set up a highly secure PC system, with all kinds of fault proof stuff and watch dog this and that, but for the price and work involved, its not worth it. For that I might as well just go into the computer industry.

At the end of the day, I like the professional looking product of the brand name stand alone I bought, the stability of a machine like DVR versus PC, and the long warranty I get with a name brand, and guarantee they will still be around in 5-10 years. I also like the fact that the OS is in non volitile Eprom, rather than on a hard disk and running on a PC.

Besides the Kodicom Units, I havent seen any other professional looking DVRs from Asia to date, they all look like cheap PCs or Cheap quads/switchers. Different regions of the world, different styles/colors. So either Stand Alone or PC bases, Im buying from the USA for now.

By the way, you can very easily upgrade the firmware and remote software for the stand alones, only drawback is the hardware updates, and hardware repairs. Though the firmware is updated more than the hardware.

Anyway, after saying all of that, we have a StoreSafe we have to send back now, they moved (dropped it) and or fried it!! Basically they had some electricians move it without calling us. Compression board is shot so it wont record, I imagine it was dropped as all the cables were loose also and the record button is not working (flashing red light)! Ill have a replacement in a couple days, which really isnt any different of time than if I used a PC based here in the Bahamas, we still have to wait, as there is not always stock locally. Eventually though it would be nice to have one of each on hand for warranty purposes. It wasnt one of my jobs, I sell them with Lockboxes in businesses at least so this wouldnt have happened.

Hey, ill be testing that Provideo Linus standalone in few days, will let you know, cost us $1200 first cost, 16 channel, 120GB.

Also, the new DVR from Kalatel will have 120pps and a CDRW and be much the same as the DVMRe in features and the StoreSafe in shape. What I dont understand is if they can get Nucleus to do 60 or 120pps, why cant they get it to do 480pps?? OR why not just switch the StoreSafe to a linux RTOS?

the speed is not so much an issue as is stability and security of the DVR. PC systems were primarily used by computer companies that got into the business using PCI capture cards.

Rory I would be prepared as mentioned before to prove that it is a myth about stabilty issues with PCI cards...and you know it..... I can prove it by showing the Uptime of my Demo box...as for 60FPS being enough.. I agree it is satisfactory but faster is better, most Standalones do not do frame buffering therefore, the spread of frams is direct and that makes for 10FPS per channel... at this peed I could steal someithng quickly or run through a building and only have a few decent shots... if 60 Fps was enough then why do I sell more 100FPS systems and why has Geo started to phase out the slower cards.. it is only recognised as enough because that is all that standalones will do.... I personally think 50 FPS is only JUST enough for 16 cameras, remembering that you almost half that frame rate when recording the largest images... besides.. what is the cost onthe Kalatel 50FPS machine???

(not via a network or PC, direct to CCTV monitor), and security, come first in my applications

Good point... but lets just run a scenario... you get brocken into and someone steals your DVr or smashes it.... thats not real good if you want o cacth them.. geo can transmit the video on motion to anohter location.. hell you can even listen in...then you have the video stored elsewhere...does the kalatel do that?

are you aware that an eprom is more succeptable to problems than a HDD, spikes etc can render it useless and you can always re do a HDD of a PC!

That is garbage about reliable name brand.. you can buy Polo Ralph Lauren Jeans or Levi's both are awesome quality.. one is a higher name brand.. that does not make it better and it contradicts the components... Your kalatel is not made in the US only assembled there, you have compnents made in Korea and Taiwan in that machine so essentialy it is an Asian DVr, I bet moneyt hat the whole mainbord comes from Asia.

I like the G.E gear I had the Kalatel guy here today, he picked up his unit.. it is nice but it is also very overpriced.. which is a big issue when you get to the higher end units and is always an issue when dealing with big companies... The point is G.E sell direct now.. the reason is that they do not sell these high end machines enough and the PCI cards are better and people are waking up to it, this is why they had to can their distributors in order to sell to more people... look I dont hat standalones, but at this point for me they are not as functional as the Geo... not even close and the cost 3 times as much.. so why would you use one... only for extreeme cases where a PC is not suitable... look at the posts for DVR cards and look at the posts for Standalones...which has the most?

. besides.. what is the cost onthe Kalatel 50FPS machine???

Its 60pps, and its the same price as the StoreSafe 30pps. Only difference is the StoreSafe is a compact unit with some less features, but compact and thats the pro.

(not via a network or PC, direct to CCTV monitor), and security, come first in my applications

Good point... but lets just run a scenario... you get brocken into and someone steals your DVr or smashes it.... thats not real good if you want o cacth them.. geo can transmit the video on motion to anohter location.. hell you can even listen in...then you have the video stored elsewhere...does the kalatel do that?

Absolultely - email or message to cellphone or other. Yes you can listen in but not using the DVR direclty, but then you can do that with any PC, even a Web cam! You can simply add a Louroe Audio Remote Phone Device, or the Kalatel 8 channel Streaming Video/Audio Server.

But noones going to smash my DVR once its locked up and secure, where your PC is not Unless you are going to git that PC in a filtered and cooled lockbox somehow, and secure it in a ceiling or similar.

Ofcourse first they have to get through the outdoor beams, door contacts, glass breaks, and motion sensors.

That is garbage about reliable name brand.. you can buy Polo Ralph Lauren Jeans or Levi's both are awesome quality.. one is a higher name brand.. that does not make it better and it contradicts the components... Your kalatel is not made in the US only assembled there, you have compnents made in Korea and Taiwan in that machine so essentialy it is an Asian DVr, I bet moneyt hat the whole mainbord comes from Asia.

No not garbage, it makes a difference. You would agree that a Ganz Camera is better than a similar COP USA camera?? You are really stuck on this thing being made in Asia arent you! Maybe you should email them and ask them cause I dont care once its 'built' in the USA. Id rather a nice looking quality unit than some cheap looking unit. Yes, the Asians can build their chips and boards, but they make some ugly DVRs and Ugly DVR software. At least where these DVRs are made.

I like the G.E gear I had the Kalatel guy here today, he picked up his unit.. it is nice but it is also very overpriced.. which is a big issue when you get to the higher end units and is always an issue when dealing with big companies...

Umm, where do you get that it is over priced? Yes it is not cheap, you pay for what you get. BTW, Kalatel DVRs are cheaper than Dedicated Micros, Phillips, Ultrack, Panasonic, Pelco, and others. So in that league it is not over priced, though I wish it was much cheaper. But you cant compare Asian DVRs to these quality units.

The point is G.E sell direct now.. the reason is that they do not sell these high end machines enough and the PCI cards are better and people are waking up to it, this is why they had to can their distributors in order to sell to more people... look I dont hat standalones, but at this point for me they are not as functional as the Geo... not even close and the cost 3 times as much.. so why would you use one... only for extreeme cases where a PC is not suitable... look at the posts for DVR cards and look at the posts for Standalones...which has the most?

They do sell their products alot, most businesses buy high end Stand alones over a PC card, as they realize how stable a PC card is running windows Granted, most people dont just run the one DVR program on their PC, they will inevetably run email and other crashing software. As for the number of posts for PCI cards on here, most people on the forum here are looking for DIY home applications, not professional, they dont mind the time and patience required for a PCI DVR card installation and maintenance. Selling the unit to non computer geeks is a different story, and that is what we deal with here, they dont want much at all to do with a computer if they can.

But, in the end, use what you know and are happy with. I know once i unwrap that Kalatel DVR, plug it in and all the camera cables, in under 5-10 minutes from start to finish, im walking out the door and dont have to come back for another couple of years, if that! I just made $5000+ profit ) Hmmmm.

They have a DVR locked away in a lock box, hidden with fan and filter, or a neat compact unit in their home entertainment center, and I can change all settings of the DVR remotely, and alot more.

So it works for me.

Edited by Guest

Yo man, stop bickering about PC and Stand alone, at the end, they are all the same ****.

Remeber that the only thing that stand alones have going is that they look more profesional than a pc. But in the end, with the all pros and cons, they all are basically the same, it takes the user to decide what they want to PAY for.

Yo man, stop bickering about PC and Stand alone, at the end, they are all the same ****.

Remeber that the only thing that stand alones have going is that they look more profesional than a pc. But in the end, with the all pros and cons, they all are basically the same, it takes the user to decide what they want to PAY for.

Actually, Stand Alones are easier to install, simpler to use, more stable, more secure, better local video quality , longer recording/archiving. PC DVRs have better PC/Remote software, Faster Recordings, better remote/pc video quality, and are cheaper.

changing the subject...

http://www.crowelec.com/crowjetusb.html

check this out, im using it now actually, for remote video, not bad, a little technical to use, but ok for remote video. 15pps so recording over 4 cameras is slow and glitchy, especially as its going through a USB port. But in all, cheap and dont have to open up the PC. Doesnt work great with all OSs though, and i noticed some computers we loaded it on such as XP, it wont work at all! Win 2000 worked but gave a ton of errors.

Still might sell it as an alternative with some cheap bullet cameras You know, in the ghetto!

Interesting discussion here, and to throw in my few cents..

Being from a PC based background, I find myself tending to sway towards the PCI card surveillance option. Have never had any major issues with my personal computers, since if something does go wrong, and it will.. guaranteed at some point, because that's electronics and they are never likely to be perfect. But I can troubleshoot the issue, replace components that are faulty and the system is running again. Unfortunately, the same does not go for the Standalone DVRs.

Having said that though, I can see that Standalone are less likely to have problems.. the less something can do, the less can go wrong. With the embedded OS the system is only running what it requires for its security system. Unlike a PC based system which is using a generic OS, windows primarily, and loads a whole pile of useless services and hence can be more prone to issues.

Performance out of a PC will likely always be better, there is so much money put into developing the computer chipsets/components that any security manufacturer can tap into this potential and utilise it on their PCI card. Whereas, a Standalone DVR system will generally have to code their own embedded OS system, so of course the GUI will be less pretty, but the system will likely be more stable.

Both systems though are essentially computers of some description.. will all be based on similar infrastructure, using memory, hard disks, CPUs, CD-RW drives, whatever. So they will both suffer from similar problems.. try putting either in a totally air-proof, secure locker and watch them overheat. A PC based system will always likely run hotter, and there are ways to solve this.. can always get into the extreme water cooling processes if you are really concerned.

And like someone mentioned, some people will not just use the PC based system as a security system, they'll think because it's a computer running windows they can use it for other purposes. Bad idea. If you put a Standalone next to a similarly priced PC based system they would basically be identical because they basically are the same thing. One may have better network support, the other more stable, one might have slightly better compression, the other may have a prettier GUI. I find it's whatever suits you the best, and what the customer wants inevitably.

Personally speaking, i'll stick with the PC based systems cause with my knowledge base I find them easier to troubleshoot since if a Standalone goes down fully there's little I can do. I can upgrade the systems and know more about what's in them myself. Their increased performance, better networkability and remote abilities, cheaper costing will always lead me towards such systems. But, I believe it's important to "idiot proof" these sytems from the customers.. or at least stress upon them how to maintain the systems effectively and not use them for other purposes. Lock up a PC with a capable cooling system, with dust filters and you should find it'll run fairly stable for a long while.

But, like I say.. that's just my personal preference.

Absolultely - email or message to cellphone or other. Yes you can listen in but not using the DVR direclty, but then you can do that with any PC, even a Web cam! You can simply add a Louroe Audio Remote Phone Device, or the Kalatel 8 channel Streaming Video/Audio Server.

an email... what good is that.. it is not truley watermarked and it is not the full event and it is not instantanious..

Maybe you should email them and ask them cause I dont care once its 'built' in the USA

Actually it wasnt me.. its juts you slag off at PC based products all the time... and you slag off about Aisan products.. when your so LOVED kalatel... is both made in Asia and a PC????

My DVR must be Australian made then huh... coz it is assembled here.. guess that means that Toyata is an australian Brand now ass they manufacture them here too... You knew exactly what i meant.. your paying a lot for name brand that is THE SAME as a cheaper alternative... yes Asians do not make things look as nice but thats where making your own comes in..The Kalatel is a RIP OFF at its price and everyone knows it... sure it is a fine machine but way overpriced and Made in Asia!

Actually, Stand Alones are easier to install, simpler to use, more stable, more secure, better local video quality , longer recording/archiving. PC DVRs have better PC/Remote software, Faster Recordings, better remote/pc video quality, and are cheaper.

Easy to install...yes...Simpler to use... No.. More stable.. barely...More secure...Yes...Longer recording..Incorrect.. Cheaper...Incorrect.

1/The Kalatel storesafe that i tried was an Ugly grey colour,,,,also it had a white Cd rom... it looked very ugly indeed compared to the nice racks we build

2/The system does not Frame buffer so you only get the frames you set it at.. so you only record at slowest possible settings pre configured.. yes there is alarm settings but Geo does it on the fly!

3/ It only has two levels of password

4/ The remote softwrae is way beyond sucky

5/ it wont broadcast live events on motion.. only emails

6/ It can only do 16 I/O relays

7/ You cant play back the AVI files on a standard computer

8/Only has a 2x digital zoom

9/ There is no control room software....

10/ No PDA support

11/ One compression type

12/ 1 Channel of audio only

13/ No audio is recorded unless motion events actually occur

14/ It crashes from time to time

15/ There is no multicasting support

16/ No Point of Sale Support

17/ No motion Tracking

18/ No traffic counting

19/ No object counting

20/ No listening to live audio

21/ No sending Live audio

22/ No thumbnail View

23/ No mpeg4

24/ No Dynamic DNS support

25/ No CPU throttling

26/ No camera pop up?

27/ No 8 x zoom

28/ Limited PTZ support

29/ No despatch server

The thing costs far too much for what it does not do... mind you it is not bad

Made in the USA!

Firstly though, the StoreSafe is the low end Kalatel Unit, you should take a look at the DVMRe as it has a few more features, not grey, is charcoal black. If you got the StoreSafe advanced, you would have had PTZ, Audio, and POS/ATM support. I sell the StoreSafe because it is cheaper than similar products from other Manufacturers, and compact size, with all the features a CCTV application requires.

Remember that Network and PC support are secondary in a CCTV system, primary is local CCTV monitoring and control, high end monitors and controllers, multiplexing and much more, back up and evidence sharing.

14/ It crashes from time to time

you must have had a dud, they have never crashed on me. Send it back!

Do you mean multiple users at one time, they support 20 simultaneous users over the network.

16/ No Point of Sale Support

Yes, they have POS and ATM support in the version that has audio.

25/ No CPU throttling

It has bandwidth throttle over the network. Other than that you dont need to adjust anything as its not a PC.

27/ No 8 x zoom

Buy a PTZ

28/ Limited PTZ support

Full PTZ Support. Kalatel has been making top selling PTZ cameras for years so they have actual experience in this area not found with other DVR companies.

If another brand like Panasonic or Ultrack had the range and pricing of the Kalatel DVRs, I would sell theirs also, so far they dont.

GE doesnt just make 1 type of DVR. For a comparison between the different GE DVRs, check this out:

http://www.geindustrial.com/ge-interlogix/docs/digital_recording_matrix.pdf

But no, it will not have the amount of features found in PC software, most Embedded devices do not have the featured software as their competitors software based.

For example, I have 2 radio systems for the alarm monitoring, one does everything through DOS software, the radio comes in on COM 1, out on COM 2 to the monitoring computer using windows software. The software controls all the alarms etc and must be running all the time.

The 2nd radio system has a radio and the unit that does all the processing, embedded. It has 2 outputs, one to the monitoring PC and one to the DOs computer. The software though on this DOS computer has no where the features of the other one, but, we can rack mount the other and not even use the computer or monitor at all, saving space. The features lost are like turning off alarms after 2 minutes instead of them running until we manually push a ACK button, and a couple other minor features. Yeah I know, DOS, but thats how all these Alarm radio systems are.

So no, embedded never have PC features like a PC system.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you mean multiple users at one time, they support 20 simultaneous users over the network.

no i mean Multicasting Data Packets...

It is not Made in the USA.. it is only assembled there, and you know it...

The PTZ devices it supports are very limited considering what other NON Name brands are available on the market...Look Rory...whether you like to admit it or not.. Almost 90% of components that are used in CCTV are made in Asia, they are either Re Badged or assembled in the US!

From what I can truley gather there are really ony about 12 or so manufactorers of DVR cards and Standalone hardware compnents and 10 of them are in Asia, yes they make changes to the hardware, but not a lot...A PC is far more superior to a standalone machine at this stage, and the only advantage that standalones have are that they are easier to install and are less prone to windows problems..

As many people on here have attested ...Including AVCONSULTING ...who without doubt is the most experienced of all of us.. It is a Myth about the overwhelming stability of a standalone device... IF A PC IS BUILT CORRECTLY...look I like Standlones but we cant move them here, that is because they are not as popular and they are much cheaper here... man I sold a 4ch standlone for $690 Australian that is 100FPS and it barely moves, yet I move hundreds of PCI cards.....so why is that.. the main reasons are these.

Standalones..lack features by a big way...are not as easy to update..especially hardware...are far too slow for big jobs...and the good ones are way too expensive... the price for you to buy a Kalatel 25 FPS would be the same price I build a 200FPS DVR....Look I challenge you....My machines don't break.. nor do many others.. you do not see many reports in here of crashing systems now do you.. even with the cheaper gear.

The truth is s lot of people build machines and make mistakes.. that is true.. and there are cheap cards on the market and some very ****ty software..however keep this in mind.. If you spent as much money on a DVR Card and a good HIGH END PC as you do for a Kalatel DVR.. then there is no way the system should have any more or less problems, the thing is people cut corners with PCI systems, and thank god they do,, that is how I make my reputation..

For the last time.. Standalones are not that much more stable...you are just sucked into the Hype....and you buy an expensive Kalatel DVR series which is overpriced for what it does and basically it is a PC whether you choose to admit it or not... even AVCONSULTING validated this point.. embedded is good as it cuts out a lot of windows **** that is not needed, but you can already do that if you know how.. when PCI cards run on Linux they will loose the features..but that small gap in instability will be closed...your machines have a powersupply, CPU and Graphics chip...so does mine and ram too..whats the difference.. any of them can break.. the only argument you can make is that embedded is more stable than XP and I agree with that statement.. but not by as much as you claim.

still much more stable and easier to use than a PCI card, and it looks more professional.

Standalones are the majority here in the U.S., primarily because of the extraordinarily good marketing effort by DM. They have pretty much convinced everyone that standalones are bullet proof and pc based are diseased ridden poxed pieces of garbage. Unfortunately due to the very poor quality of early pc based machines such as Kodicom the myth wasn't too hard to spread. Sensormatic also didn't help by putting out scores of poorly made Intellex machines that broke down constantly. A couple of virus attacks and the market was very receptive to the DM philosophy that pc based was bad. The proliferation of back yard garage operations putting out pc based junk isn't helping the cause. So for at least the present, embedded rules and no one seems to care that pc based machines give you more features for your dollar. One of my biggest distributors cannot give away their pc based 3R machines, even at $995 for a 16 camera system, yet they sell hundreds of DM and Kalatels with no problems. Even the Nuvico's, essentially rebranded Pinetrons, are flying off the shelf. That is why I want to find an embedded system with built in CD/RW to represent. My pc based DVRs just are not selling. So even though GeoVision may offer tons more features, and when built properly is a better value than the Store Safe, at least here (and I guess the Bahamas) the Store Safe, and equivalent DM products will garner the lions share of the market.

ill have that provideo in a couple days, should have been here by now, its the RTOS linux w/ CDRW, RM HDD, 120GB, etc. $1200-1500 wholesale.

Yes, a Geo Card plus a computer will cost the same or more as a StoreSafe once you purchase a PC, and add all the time required to build and test it ($150 per hour labour). Security doesnt need all those PC features right now, at least not in the bahamas.

Yes, DM is another big name here, was my original first choice, but its remote software is limited, only shows a quad at a time, no 16 way. There were some other reasons i picked Kalatel AV, lower price is one of them.

wow.. that is very exciting to hear....I mean we have tried to push standalones in Australia many times.. they dont sell... in fact teh whole rest of the market does not sell.. DM sells bugger all here and Kalatel have to source smaller companies because of the small volume they do... they told me the US buys heaps.. but I did not believe them... PC is much more popular here....

I want to sell standlaones becuase they have less features and therefore require less support (nothing to do with stability) but they just wont move.. In Australia they dont care about name brands and it seems we are very advanced.. to be honest Geo said we sell the most 800-16 cards in the world and they mentioned that the 650-16 is the most popular world wide.. they keep asking why we buy so many high end cards...I guess the rest of the world is not as fussy yet.. i mean I hate to be rude but America does have a reputation for name brands.. maccas...nike etc etc... and everyone has to have a name brand ... not so much here!

I was not arguing that PC was more popular in your neck of the woods but it certainly is in mine.. I just am tired of RORY stating that they are unstable..that is pure bull.. they are very stable if built correctly...I actually...Yes...wait for it......I like the standalone concept much better... but we actually use the PC features here and there is obviously a reason that Geo does not drop prices.. because they have the most featured product.. and that must make it sell or why would they push for more features.. In my opinion the Standalone is the same as a PC but is very overatted due to some stereotypical hype.. the truth is they are not more stable by much at all and they lack the speeds that we need here...

I suppose each market is different!

yes, 2 different worlds, we have people here that dont even have computers yet. The majority of my jobs only require a simple standalone system without all the features you guys are using. I guess if you get use to all those features, it would be hard to use something else.

Im actually looking at a fully integrated Access Control, Video Surveillance, Alarm Monitoring PC system, by GE or similar. Joint Access control/CCTV/Fire is now a big thing down here now with large businesses, and something worth going into. Some locksmiths are doing it but not to the degree that we can, and rely on their distributors input only.

GE's system, yes PC card, Intel etc, integrates with the Kalatel DVMRe's and other brand DVRs, as well as many other things, still need more info on it, and looking at other brands also. I am actually looking at a high end home automation system that is used world wide, will let you know I find out, it intagrates with different brands of different security products, as well as the home automation part, uses its own wireless touch pads, its the most expensive out though, but worth it for the $10 mill homes we are bidding on now, for automation anyway.

DVR, im not knocking your systems, Im sure you build killer DVRs, but its different here. I am actually looking at other brands besides GE for the system control, I will go with the best in our region for support, training, etc. Price is not an issue in this case.

Im also going into Fire Systems, we have a trained & certified Fire crew, Video Monitoring with the alarm monitoring company I work with, along with a local armed security guard force who will do the actuall video monitoring part, for armed security response. While we do the alarm part, as well as CCTV sales and installations, automation, access, etc. We also have a local locksmith we will work with. We will be targeting the entire bahamas as most islands now have Cable internet, noone is doing this here yet. We also have a close relationship with a new wireless internet company here, as wireless is not yet here, but will be in the next month or so.

It will be one large company made up of other companies.

So im not close minded entirely on the PC system thing, just for retail etc, its in my best interest to use a stand alone, especially to cut down on tech support, and for warranties, my distributors generally stock stand alones, kalatel being the number 1 stocked, DM the second.

Not sure if we will do any Licence plate capture yet, but I will keep GEO in mind, and actually see if I can get my hands on one; no Flordia distributors sell them though, so we will have to buy from california or somewhere up north.