Sign in to follow this  
evocctv

This is my layout, now what should I choose

Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up a cctv system, below is the layout.

225360_1.jpg

The distance from front to rear is around 50 feet to give you an idea of sizes.

The system I'm looking for is a standalone one, with web connectivity, and 8 channels (for future expansion of outside cameras).

So far this is what I have selected based on a few hours of research:

Indoor Dome Cameras: CNB DFL-20S (4x $200)

DVR: Zmodo 8 channel 1TB ($180)

Other: VideoSecu power supply box ($40)

+ cables

With less than $500 I would have everything covered.

Any thoughts on the equipment I have chosen or layout?

thanks

The positions of the internal cameras seems reasonable, and seem to have the main transit areas covered.

For outdoor cameras, more detail would be helpful but one principal is to

avoid pointing in the direction of the sun if possible. I am not familiar with

the equipment so don't feel qualified to comment.

The positions of the internal cameras seems reasonable, and seem to have the main transit areas covered.

As you point out , a reference to the sun would be handy but NOT ONLY for exterior cameras. The cameras by the front door are likely to be subject to large variances of light intensity over their FOV so BLC & WDR will be almost mandatory.

but being NUMB NUTS you would have already KNOWN that and it just slipped your mind about mentioning it.

I agree with Toss, if you want to aim the entrace/front door, you better check does sun Up or down will spreading lighting via door?

If you want to aim front door you may relocate position to toward door.

How height do you recommend mounting the cameras above floor level for doors.

Thanks.

As you point out , a reference to the sun would be handy but NOT ONLY for exterior cameras. The cameras by the front door are likely to be subject to large variances of light intensity over their FOV so BLC & WDR will be almost mandatory.

but being NUMB NUTS you would have already KNOWN that and it just slipped your mind about mentioning it.

Edited by Guest

cameras will be facing inwards, not outwards. thanks for the sun/light recommendation.

any idea on the equipment selected? what's the best way to wire everything up? siamese wire to the dvr and power box?

thanks

I would check out some video samples of those cameras and compare them to some IP camera 1.3 mp or 2mp video clips to see the difference. You may be surprised at the difference in image quality. Also, if you want some higher megapixel cameras for outside at a later point, they won't be compatible with the analog camera dvr. You might as well future proof your system now. Good luck.

I would check out some video samples of those cameras and compare them to some IP camera 1.3 mp or 2mp video clips to see the difference. You may be surprised at the difference in image quality. Also, if you want some higher megapixel cameras for outside at a later point, they won't be compatible with the analog camera dvr. You might as well future proof your system now. Good luck.

Thanks for the pointers

When you speak of analog camera dvr, how would you differentiate between digital and analog?

I have found a better DVR, Q-See QT5680-1, and I'm trying to understand if it is digital or analog?

The dvr mentioned above has a "D1" recording resolution...and HDMI compared to others that offer VGA ports.

As you elborated your thread for you prefer to camera inward so its not difficult to deploy but only conceren that window is arround the house, you may consider carry out those indoor camera which programmed WDR & DNR function. With regarding cabling, you better check how is decoration inside and which is cost conduit pipeline not highly manpower in trench notch. If it has been mapped conceal pipeline I recommend you coaxail cable then cat 5.

Thanks for the pointers

When you speak of analog camera dvr, how would you differentiate between digital and analog?

I have found a better DVR, Q-See QT5680-1, and I'm trying to understand if it is digital or analog?

The dvr mentioned above has a "D1" recording resolution...and HDMI compared to others that offer VGA ports.

I only use DVRs with multiple o/ps ( HDMI , VGA & composite ) HDMI & VGA have distance constraints which may or may not be a problem. DVRs are usually for analogue cameras while NVR (network video recorder) is for digital cameras. You can get HVRs (hybrid video recorders) which have I/Ps for a pre set combination of both digital & analogue cameras.

I usually find that recorders without a full range of O/Ps (and usually only operable via an IR remote - no front panel controls) are built to a price and are generally rubbish.

thanks, ye I will definitely take the tips into consideration. i find it kind of hard to find good reviews on DVRs sadly.

As for remote viewing, is there anything I need to make sure the DVR has to be able to perform this function?

I found a video of the potential cameras,

, can anyone tell me what kind of wires/connectors I will need to connect them to the DVR? I was thinking siamese, but the cables seem to be video (yellow) power (red) and a third detached cable?

Thanks for the pointers

Analog will use coax wires and have a resolution of maybe 700tv lines whereas digital (ip) will use Ethernet cables and have resolutions starting at 1.3mp and go up from there.

D1 resolution is somewhere about 720x480. HD resolution starts at 1080x720. Don't quote me on the resolutions. It's a general idea.

Hdmi and VGA ports are a matter of how you want to hook up the output from the DVR. Hdmi will not make a lower resolution appear better.

Thanks for the pointers

Analog will use coax wires and have a resolution of maybe 700tv lines whereas digital (ip) will use Ethernet cables and have resolutions starting at 1.3mp and go up from there.

D1 resolution is somewhere about 720x480. HD resolution starts at 1080x720. Don't quote me on the resolutions. It's a general idea.

Hdmi and VGA ports are a matter of how you want to hook up the output from the DVR. Hdmi will not make a lower resolution appear better.

Some good points, but analog cameras can use ethernet (CAT5e) cabling to when Baluns are used, so I would not go as far as to say IP is defined by the use of ethernet cable.

If you go analog remember to look for D1 real time recording, many systems use the term D1 but you have to know at what FPS, if its at 30 FPS great you have real time, if its at 7FPS you are going to have a very choppy image.

Also remember FPS and IPS (Frames Per Second) and (Images Per Second) are not the same, it takes 2 IPS to make 1FPS.

As for what cabling, I would say go with a digital IP system then all you need is a single CAT5e or CAT6 cable and you will get power and video over a single wire with POE (Power Over Ethernet) of course you are confined to the limitations of ethernet at that point so under 500FT to be safe. (Standard states 300FT)