Jasper

The Bermuda Triangle

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=218#more-218

Sixty years ago today, on December 5, 1945 at 4:00pm Eastern Time, a fragment of a radio transmission was heard from a training flight of five TBM Avenger Torpedo Bombers that had departed from Fort Lauderdale earlier that day. The transmission was thought to be from Lt. Charles Taylor– the senior flight instructor– to one of the other pilots. The message indicated that the flight group had become lost and disoriented over the ocean east of Florida, and all of their compasses were malfunctioning.

Rory, I think you’re in it.

Anyone, know anything about the Bermuda Triangle

For those of you interested. The Bermuda Triangle will be on tonight on the Sci-Fi channel. Part 1 was last night, part 2 tonight and they are showing part 1 again for those people who missed it.

Anyone, know anything about the Bermuda Triangle

Sure Jasper I know all about the Bermuda Triangle; it's the place that looks interesting and spurs the curiosity but things wind up disappearing eventually.......sort of like my ex-wife and one of my houses

Scottj

A few facts:

That area is one of the most heavily traveled sealanes in the world. Same for aircraft.

Depending on which theory you look at, the size of that area and it ranges from 500,000 square miles to several million square miles. This is an area large enough to drop Texas into twice even if you go with the small size.

The Navy report on that flight never mentioned any radio calls in. It did mention that only the lead pilot had working Naviagtion gear.

The whole area is noted for unstable weather. Not just hurricanes but small but powerful storms.

The triangle is a myth and the people who write about it just cite previous writers without checking thier facts.

yeah if it actually exists, we are supposed to be in it, at least some of the bahamas .. and im sure some of the US waters also ..

but ive flown through it all my life .. and im still here, kind of ..

A few facts:

That area is one of the most heavily traveled sealanes in the world. Same for aircraft.

Depending on which theory you look at, the size of that area and it ranges from 500,000 square miles to several million square miles. This is an area large enough to drop Texas into twice even if you go with the small size.

The Navy report on that flight never mentioned any radio calls in. It did mention that only the lead pilot had working Naviagtion gear.

The whole area is noted for unstable weather. Not just hurricanes but small but powerful storms.

The triangle is a myth and the people who write about it just cite previous writers without checking thier facts.

I liked the Scifi channels mini-series about it though. It’s nice to believe there is something out there we don’t understand has yet to be discovered. It is worth watching if you haven’t seen it.

I guess you guys don’t believe in UFO’s either?

There are many things on Earth that we haven't discovered. We know very little about the deep ocean. We know very little about our neighbors in the solar system. We still have alot to learn about how biological processes work. Quantum Mechicanics still baffles us. Gravity still has some mystery. Medicine has tons of mysteries.

I know there are plenty of things left to discover. What I dislike is when people build an industry on b*llsh*t. The people who whip together books on UFO's and the Triangle don't do any research. The airplane incident is a prime example. The Navy did the best examination of the incident as they could. They came to the conclusion that they had a bunch of trainees who didn't have navigation gear, who were doing a long range training flight in aircraft that were flying gas tanks that don't do water landings was perhaps a bad idea. You never see that there were issues in the plane design, or that they didn't have navigation gear or long range radios. Why? Because that doesn't sell books.

In regards to the Navy report, I just don’t trust the government to tell the truth on certain matters that are related to National Security. The public would panic if they knew for sure that an alien aircraft had actually crashed here.

Edited by Guest

I can understand a healthy amount of mistrust of the goverment. But at the same time, Berlitz (who first reported it) doesn't cite where he got the information about the radio report. Not even an anonmous source. The only source on the record is the Navy report. The books/rumors/myths fail to meet the standards for pointing out a cover up. The argument is "x planes and boats disappeared, ergo the area is haunted/filled with aliens/methane gas/Bob Saget performing satanic ruituals." but what you have there is a leap of logic. I can get the same effect by saying "it's magic" to something I don't know. Because you can't explain it doesn't mean that an explaination doesn't exist.

I don't deny the exisitance of ETs. I suspect that given the size of the universe we are not alone. Does that mean we will encounter ETs in a thousand generations? Nope. The universe is a big place.