brughtus

can i (expand, add?) beyond the 8channels on stand alone dvr

A moment of your time please, Don't know if I'm allowed the brand name or if it makes a difference but I was wondering if I can expand beyond the 8 channels I have on my dvr? DIYer 8 cameras installed just wondering about "compressing" the video or can I link 2 systems similar to stereo equipment? Would they have to be duplicate DVR's? I'm not very technical so "compressing" could just as well mean crushing a beer between my hand and forehead. thanks for any help! Great site!

T. Brugh Joy

A moment of your time please, Don't know if I'm allowed the brand name or if it makes a difference but I was wondering if I can expand beyond the 8 channels I have on my dvr? DIYer 8 cameras installed just wondering about "compressing" the video or can I link 2 systems similar to stereo equipment? Would they have to be duplicate DVR's? I'm not very technical so "compressing" could just as well mean crushing a beer between my hand and forehead. thanks for any help! Great site!

T. Brugh Joy

If you are asking can you use like a T splitter and connect 2 cameras to a single channel I believe this will not work, your best bet would be to buy a second DVR and use CMS software to view the content of both.

Or there is always the option of just upgrading to a 16CH DVR.

You could use a quad to record 4 cameras on a single channel; but you would be recording each camera at 1/4 of the resolution, and all settings on the channel would affect at all cameras at the same time (movement detection, movement on one camera would trigger recording of the channel and it would record all 4, etc).

Unless you have an awesome 8ch DVR that you want to keep, if those extra 4 cameras are important, it would make more sense to upgrade to a 16ch unit, or just add a second DVR.

Thanks for the first reply!

what do I need to know about adding a second drv? Does it need to be the same brand or same brand, same model? what kind of software is needed and how easy is it to do?

Thanks guys

T. Brugh Joy