I am going to be installing a small system with two wireless IP cameras with audio talk down in construction site. I have a wireless connection back to my hub, but am needing to have solar panel for the system as there will not be permanent power installed at the site for approximately 12 months.

1) Can you recommend a good and simple solar system? The total max power consumption of the system is 70W. The system will need to run 24/7.

2) How does the power output typically work on these systems? I am hoping to have a 110V outlet that I can plug my devices into. I will need the following devices plugged in:

- (2) cameras with PoE (will use PoE injectors)

- (2) outdoor speakers (for audio talk down on the site), which will be powered by 24VAC

- (1) 5 port network switch

- (1) wireless bridge (PoE)

If the devices tend to just have a 12V or 24V power output on them to directly power a camera or device, I don't think that will work, as I have a several devices that will need 110.

24/7. The cameras need to be running 24/7 and there won't be access to permanent power for about 12 months. So the sole power source for the equipment I listed is the solar panel and battery.

24/7. The cameras need to be running 24/7 and there won't be access to permanent power for about 12 months. So the sole power source for the equipment I listed is the solar panel and battery.

Ok let me explain even though you want the system to run 24/7 you still need to come up with a run time for the batteries so you can size them properly. Meaning without sun how long do you want the system to run for....... example 24 hours or 72 hours. Once you have your run time needs you now can size the solar panels for your needs. Remember to have enough wattage to charge the batteries and run your equipment when the sun it out.

Also I would spec the equipment to run on 12VDC or 24VDC to have the most efficient setup.

Oh, I see what you're saying. Ok. Well, I'm in Arizona where the sun is almost always shining, so worst case scenario without sunlight would probably be 24 hours. On most days it would be approximately 10-11 hours on battery.

So, what should I do if I'm needing to have a network switch which runs on 110V? I'm going to have two cameras with outdoor speakers mounted on a pole with a wireless bridge pointed about 400 feet back to the construction trailer. So I need the switch to split the ethernet signal to the two cameras. Is there not a way to get a 110V outlet on a solar panel?

I would shop for a switch that can run off of 12 or 24 Volts, you will lose a lot of efficiency running an inverter to supply 120VAC to components.

Even at 50 Watts continuous load, you are looking at a pretty large and expensive system, here is one example by Tycon- http://tyconpower.com/products/remotepro_systems/rpst2424-100-240.html

Keep in mind that even in Arizona, you only have an average of 5.5 hours of full sun a day, dividing that into a 24 hour day means that you need a panel approximately 5 times your load, so 70 Watts times 5 equals a 350 Watt panel output to provide enough charging capability.

Plus you will need a battery (or bank of batteries) large enough to be discharged at 70 Watts for 18.5 hours a day without running it so low to damage it, which means about 200 Amp-hours of battery capacity.

Everything you can do to reduce the amount of power necessary for your system will be worth it when running on solar.

Just noticed that you need just two Ethernet ports, the Ubiquiti NanoStation "M" series radios have two separate Ethernet ports, I often run two cameras without a switch on a single link that way.

12VDC or 24VDC is the best way to go. Look at it this way it is cheaper and easier to buy more expensive gear that runs on 12 or 24 DC then add additional solar power.

Here is a 12VDC powered switch with POE output that would work very well if you need it.

226509_1.jpg

And, if you don't need PoE (a lot of IP cameras have 12VDC power inputs, along with PoE option), there are a lot of small, inexpensive 4 or 5 port switches on the market that run on 12VDC power.

Also, how did you come up with the 70 Watt power estimate? that seems high for two cameras, a switch, and a wireless link (most IP cameras are under 10 Watts each, wireless links 5-10 Watts or so, and an audio amp would be less than a few watts at idle, and hardly ever in use).

I set up my solar cams for 12v and 1 -150Ah battery with a 100w solar panel.

I powered 2 cams with IR and a mic. They lasted about 4 days before the cameras didn't have enough power to run.

They would come back on about noon.

There is a tight tolerance for the 12v camera to power up. At 11.6v I couldn't power the cams.

I added another 150Ah battery and the cameras have been going non stop even with a week of rain.

Keep in mind the solar panel will charge even on a rainy / cloudy day, just not as much output.

The controller shuts power off to the batteries at 13.6v, no mater what time of day.

As they said, the less power draw the better. Unless you have a bunch of batteries.

Windy nation has some of the best prices I found for quality monocrystalline off grid solar kits.

Ok let me explain even though you want the system to run 24/7 you still need to come up with a run time for the batteries so you can size them properly. Meaning without sun how long do you want the system to run for....... example 24 hours or 72 hours. Once you have your run time needs you now can size the solar panels for your needs. Remember to have enough wattage to charge the batteries and run your equipment when the sun it out.

Also I would spec the equipment to run on 12VDC or 24VDC to have the most efficient setup.

Thanks for sharing such useful information..I am trying to get similar system and i will surely keep these points in mind.

This may be a dumb comment but can you get a temp electric service installed? It may be cheaper and more reliable to have a temp serivce installed Are there going to be construction trailers onsite? seems like the builders always get fax, phone, internet ,and temp electrical