n0fx

Swann Costco 1080p No Video Mobile App

I bought the Costco Swann 1080p, 8 Channel, 1080p set. I easily got the 4 cameras setup, as they were auto detected by the NVR. I read on the forums that this was a rebranded Hikvision system, so I ordered a camera from China (DS-2CD855F-E). I used the Hikvision app to set the IP to DHCP before plugging the camera into the Swann NVR. The system managed to pick up the camera stream fine and there is picture coming out from the NVR via the VGA port and the local application on the PC can also see the stream.

I'm having a weird issue in which I use the Swann Android app (SwannView NVR). The channel that has the official Hikvision camera (DS-2CD855F-E). the video is grey (no picture) and when I run the other cameras, it briefly shows the video then the screen turns grey as well. I port forwarded 554 (default RTSP) to the NVR from the router but I didn't think I needed to port forward the HTTP (port 85) to the NVR, since I won't be accessing the NVR via web browser.

I can't seem to change the default RTSP port via the web browser configuration page. It gives me some XML error, "Invalid XML content.". I tried both IE10 (with compability) and Firefox 22 but it doesn't work. Do I need to change it through the front of the machine?

Anyone have this problem before?

I also had this issue when i first bought my SWANN system from costco back in March. I went nuts for abot 2 weeks after SWANN tech support could not resolve the issue and researching it and i finnaly found the answer.

RTSP port by default is set to 554 in the SWANN NVR. I also get an XML error when trying to change it from the web access into the NVR. You must go into the NVR and change it manually from there. Keep in mind that 554 is normally blocked by AT&T and Sprint. This is done on a carrier level and it must be changed in order to view the cameras from your app. I set mine to 5554 and it worked like a charm.

I also do not use the SWANN NVR app as it is terrible. I use the Hiksvision IVMS-4500 app from the app store which is also available on the android store. It is much much better.

Hope this helps!

I also had this issue when i first bought my SWANN system from costco back in March. I went nuts for abot 2 weeks after SWANN tech support could not resolve the issue and researching it and i finnaly found the answer.

RTSP port by default is set to 554 in the SWANN NVR. I also get an XML error when trying to change it from the web access into the NVR. You must go into the NVR and change it manually from there. Keep in mind that 554 is normally blocked by AT&T and Sprint. This is done on a carrier level and it must be changed in order to view the cameras from your app. I set mine to 5554 and it worked like a charm.

I also do not use the SWANN NVR app as it is terrible. I use the Hiksvision IVMS-4500 app from the app store which is also available on the android store. It is much much better.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I did see that when I google'd it yesterday. I changed the default port for RTSP from 554 to 5544 and it works. I still get an occasional issue with the 2MP Box camera I got from Hikivision.

Do you get weird times where the NVR sets the cameras to record to Manual? I had one channel where the NVR kept recording to manual (24 hour recording) and then it switched to motion by itself when I rebooted it? I read the manual says the NVR is set to record on motion automatically. I checked the event and also the motion detection to make sure it's on for every camera but it's just weird.

Hope this helps!

Thank you, I did see that when I google'd it yesterday. I changed the default port for RTSP from 554 to 5544 and it works. I still get an occasional issue with the 2MP Box camera I got from Hikivision.

Do you get weird times where the NVR sets the cameras to record to Manual? I had one channel where the NVR kept recording to manual (24 hour recording) and then it switched to motion by itself when I rebooted it? I read the manual says the NVR is set to record on motion automatically. I checked the event and also the motion detection to make sure it's on for every camera but it's just weird.

Hmmm I never had that problem with my cameras but mine are all from SWANN from costco. You know it is kind of weird i guess. I have mine recording all the time but when i do remote playback i see the little pink bars that show where the motion was detected. I guess it cleans out it for you so you dont go searching for motion in the feed. I do see that problem or it could be a feature? Maybe i will call SWANN and ask about it. Good question!

What ports get forwarded on a hik system?

I did 8000, 554 (default one but now changed to 5544) and 85. I disabled 85, since it was the default web and I didn't want anyone getting in on that one. It works now on the iOS devices but the android is still having the video problem (shows for 1 sec then turns black). I'm running Android 4.2.2 on the Galaxy S4. I don't know why it doesn't work for android. Funny thing is that the Hikvision iVMS-4500 HD works fine just the swannapp doesn't work. Isn't the swann app just a rebadge of the Hikvision app? I doubt they would develop their own app if they can just use Hikvisions own app.

There are quirks with the Hikvision/Lorex apps too.

You only need to forward two ports, the client and the mobile port, not the web admin port unless you want to.

The client port can be set to pretty much anything and forward to pretty much anything. example: internal can be 7000 and external can be 8000

The mobile port however has to have the same internal (LAN) port as the external (WAN) port. example: both have to be 5000 internal and external, same.

But this quirk I found only applies to the android tablet (what they call HD) apps. Strange.

Hi guys,

Anyone having trouble with the mobile apps should first confirm that they are using the correct app.

The NVR and SDI recorders recently had an app change to 'Swannview Plus+'.

Hello Mate,

Are you suggesting that I ought to remove & replace my SwannView NVR mobile app with SwannView Plus??

Would you kindly tell me what the differences or updates are?

Thanks much!

Jim

Hi Jim,

I haven't got a line on the exact differences but I do know that recent iPhone updates have necessitated the change.

Yes, you should be replacing the old app with the new one. Your old settings should work exactly the same on the new app.