kmax1940

Gigabit Network with IP Cams?

Hello, we just switched to IP cams after 11 years with analog...

Is there a way to use ip cameras with a gigabit network?

There does not seem to be since these NVRs and cams dont seem to support it. Dahua cameras and NVRs.

Things are great with 4 or 5 cameras but when you get over about 8 it really slows down...

Any suggestions?

We have put in a gigabit router at one location and it did seem to help.. though I know that it is not recommended to mix gigabit and non-gigabit on the same network...

thanks

I am a little confused as to what your question is...

can you use IP cam's on gigabit network... yes.

who is still on 100mbit network these days anyway? :P you atleast want a gigabit backbone?

you can mix speeds with no issue, you just need to make sure the backbone has plenty of space and not doing anything silly like connecting two highly loaded gigabit switch's with a 100mbit link

Ebay has very good gigabit switch's quite cheap, why not upgrade the whole network? if you're planning on lots of IP camera's you probably want to start looking at PoE or PoE+ gear though.

Just wondered about it because if the cameras dont have gigabit nics...

And the PCs on the lan dont have gigabit nics...

I just wondered what benefit you would see.

Yep, I have a gigabit router going to a gigabit switch with the cams connected there.

Runs super slow with 16 cameras connected...

And there no other lan traffic to speak of.... other than 1 person checking email and basic web surfing.

thanks

Depending on the Dahua NVR and framerate you are trying to get, the slowdown you are describing is probably happening in the NVR itself due to processing load, not because of the network.

Going with a gigabit network is always preferable to reduce congestion on the backbone of the network, even if devices only have 10/100 ports. There really aren't any cameras on the market that are capable of putting out more than 100Mbps (actually, I know of a few, but nothing that would be used in any average setup), so a gigabit port on the camera isn't necessary.

At the NVR is a different story, because you are aggregating the bandwidth from multiple cameras, so your traffic can often exceed 100Mbps (as an example, one manufacturer recommends a maximum of 256Mbps per server, which requires gigabit ports and switches to reach).

ZIP.

yep, well said.... it's all about having the bandwidth in the congestion zones

i dont guess there is anything you can do about the speed at the nvr.

if the slowness is coming from the internal processing in the nvr...

thanks for the info

Gigabit to the camera is not needed but like everyone said you need a Gigabit back bone for 5-10 + camera systems.

Think of it this way:

Say your cameras are set at 10Mbps per second and you have 24 of them connected to a 28 port switch. You now have 240Mbps data that you need to get to your NVR/Server. This is where you need a Gig or better connection.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say "gigabit to the camera is not needed"

I dont understand that.

The NVR does not have a gigabit NIC either... or maybe it does I dont know.

So are you saying the only line that needs gigabit is the one to the NVR?

alos note that most low end switch might have say 4 gig ports but the back bone of the switch, can only handle 1gig total. this happens alot, it could be that your 100 switch just can't handle the load also,

but you should have a 1gb connection to your nvr

I think the lesson learned should be... Invest in a Solid infrastructure design (i.e. The right cabling, Switches, etc..) when you have the option to do so. When I say invest, I mean in "good" equipment.. when in many cases, will be more expense..

again, just my .2