captkingdom

Please help a noob monitor construction

I am a Contractor and I would like to set up a PTZ outdoor camera to monitor construction projects that I cant get to very often. The primary purpose is to verify personnel on site and see progress. A side benefit is night security.

I am hoping to not need things like DVRs etc and hoped that I could set the camera up to snap a few stills in the morning when people show up via motion detection (this is definitely a sacrificial feature if needed to cut cost) but mostly just for remote viewing during the day.

Is there a software based system that I could run this with from my PC?

I anticipate being able to have a wired system and hoped to find out how to use the ethernet cable for power also.

I am willing to spend up to around $300 on a camera, but hoping to keep the overall under $500

I know virtually every possible question has already been answered here somewhere, but I know so little, I don't understand many of the terms and don't have weeks to study everything here. Please forgive me for that.

Any suggestions you could provide will be much appreciated.

BTW I did find these recommendations in a thread already

http://www.securitycameraking.com/700tvl-12x-indoor-outdoor-pan-59056-prd1.html

http://www.securitycameraking.com/700tvl-12x-indoor-outdoor-pan-59195-prd1.html

Those are analog cameras; so they will be useless to you unles you buiy a DVR+hard drive. Without a DVR you will not be able to see them over internet, you would only be able to see them on site connecting them to a TV/monitor.

PTZ IP with decent quality for $300, I think that is not going to happen. You could get something like the following on that price range:

http://www.apexis.com.cn/en/productsdetails_183.html

But that one is only 640x480 and has 3x zoom. You will be able to see during the day if your workers are working or just being lazy, but do not expect a lot more from it.

Do you actually plan to pan tilt and zoom this camera? Because if not you can go without a PTZ camera.

To send power over the ethernet cable you need a POE switch.

You will still need some form of internet connection and or NVR or DVR if you go analog to allow for remote viewing, else IP cameras would only give you local viewing over your network.

You have not mentioned anything about distance or planned mounting locations.

Really I think what you need is a punch clock or site supervisor, CCTV can work in this instance, but requires a good setup and probably more money then you are willing to spend.

The only other option is a net encoder but they cost as much as a low end DVR so you'd either be better off with a DVR or use a IP PTZ connected to a broadband connection and viewed over the internet, You could save to a local SD card and operate via manufacturer's software. You'd need a good wifi account. Personally I'd opt for the analogue setup with DVR but others mat prefer the other option, see what suits YOU best.

Thank you for the responses.

Ok, my overall hope was to stay under $500 or at least close to it. If I have to go over that I guess I will just have to do that.

So assuming you can direct me to an IP camera that will do the job, do I really need to buy anything else? Other than the POE Switch that has been mentioned?

Do I really have to buy something like Blue Iris? As I mentioned I would like to preserve at least a few still images for archival.

The point of the question being, perhaps If I don't need a bunch of other things I could raise the budget on the camera without much overall budget impact.

I do think that PTZ is going to be needed. The first job I need to put it on is only a 3 week duration but is a 12 thousansd SF roof. This project is 225 miles away. there is not really anywhere I can mount the camera that can get a good view of the whole project at one time. Hence the desire to pan etc.

I guess Long story short, this is something I feel i need. If I can't do it for the budget I hoped for, then I will just have to pay what it takes (without going overboard of course)

Thanks again!

The 1/4" chip on that unit is going to give you a rather tight picture, if you are looking to cover a wide area then you should look for something offering a 1/3" or 1/2" chip for a wider picture.

Do you have Internet access onsite? Do you have a portable office that you take? I'm not sure what you mean by view them on your PC.

If you're looking for a one camera solution you might consider using a game camera with built in cellular. That way you don't have to cable much (run a power cord out to it) and it's an all-in-one solution. I saw some online with 5MP at around $400.