I'm in the process of building a new home and I've been looking around for a while for the best solution for me. I tried a Brickcom camera and while the quality was great, I didn't like how you needed ActiveX for some of the settings as I use a Mac. So I started looking at the Hikvision stuff because it has a Mac plugin that works great. I also wanted a decentralized system (SD Card support) so that I didn't have to have an NVR. I bought one indoor model to test as a baby monitor (DS-2CD8464F-EIW) and one outdoor model (DS-2CD754FWD-EI). Both of these models had compromises. The DS-2CD8464F-EIW is only a 1.3MP camera and the DS-2CD754FWD-EI is just a little too big for my taste. The good news is that Hikvision has three new models (one available now and two available in August) that meet all my requirements.

1. Mac compatible

2. Outdoor Use

3. Optional Wireless

4. IR

5. SD Card Support

6. Small profile.

http://www.hikvisioneurope.com/portal/index.php?dir=Product%20Catalogs/&file=Product%20Guide%202013%20June.pdf

Check out the DS-2CD2732F-IS, DS-2CD2532F-ISW and DS-2CD2432F-IW. The DS-2CD2732F-IS is available now from AliExpress for $200.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/HIKVISION-30-meters-1080P-IR-dome-network-cameras-support-POE-DS-2CD2732F-I/420258_1077716612.html

I would be cautious buying Hikvision direct from China, the firmware is China specific and people have complained the U.S. firmware won't load because of a language mismatch. Also, if there's a warranty problem, find out what it costs to ship the camera back, how long it will take and how they turn it around. Keep in mind many in Shenzhen ship via courier to HK because it's cheaper. Shipping a problem camera back for repairs direct to Shenzhen may cost a lot more than you think and the time it takes may be long.

There's two models commonly available in the U.S. both are 3MP, both have IR, one is a dome, one is a bullet, but they sell out quickly due to the low price. My distributor says about 1-2 more weeks for their shipment to come in. They typically run $169 - $175. At least you'll get a U.S. warranty and be compatible with U.S. firmware.

Also, I did a write-up on how to have these camera write directly to a NAS via NFS and playback directly from the camera if you don't want an NVR. There's many reason to have some sort of NVR solution though. Being able to view multiple cameras at a time, being able to playback recordings from multiple cameras, being able to view live and recorded video from smartphone apps.

I would be cautious buying Hikvision direct from China, the firmware is China specific and people have complained the U.S. firmware won't load because of a language mismatch. Also, if there's a warranty problem, find out what it costs to ship the camera back, how long it will take and how they turn it around. Keep in mind many in Shenzhen ship via courier to HK because it's cheaper. Shipping a problem camera back for repairs direct to Shenzhen may cost a lot more than you think and the time it takes may be long.
This is sound advice. My take is that I'm rolling the dice, and hope I'm lucky with the cameras I get directly from China. Returns will be so expensive and cumbersome, that I choose to live with the risk.

That said, the Aliexpress supplier that I have used, is both responsive and communicates well in English, so I wouldn't be too afraid. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Regarding the firmware issue, it is true that there is something in there that is China specific, but I'm not sure it is just the firmware. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. It is also possible that they have some regional setting/id in the hardware itself, which is then read by the firmware.

From a functional point of view, the only sacrifice you make is that the weekday display is in Chinese, and therefore unuseable (and must be turned off). Everything else is OK, and the same as the Euro/U.S-versions.

The other downside is that when Hikvision releases a new firmware to their U.S or European site for public download, you'd have to get the firmware elsewhere. However, the Aliexpress distributor has access to the firmware files for the Chinese version, and promptly sent me the file when I asked.

I can certainly understand the reward vs. risk if there's a camera that's unique and not available in the U.S. I certainly got Dahua cameras direct from China early on when nobody had models I wanted in the U.S.

Where are a few recommended US distributors/resellers for the Hik cameras? (Other than Costco?) Hard to pass up the price from China but a warranty and support is always nice to have too.

The problem is the U.S. distributor ran out and has more on their way but that should free up in the next week or two, but www.wrightwoodsurveillance.com will have them soon. Not sure the price in China is all that cheaper because of the shipping costs. DHL may cost $40 per camera.

Where are a few recommended US distributors/resellers for the Hik cameras? (Other than Costco?) Hard to pass up the price from China but a warranty and support is always nice to have too.