aliciac

New hard drive installation.

Hi everyone!

I have a AVTech CPD505 CCTV system with 8 cameras attached. It's been working great for years but over the last few days, there's been a whining noise coming from the DVR. It could be the cooling fan, but it sounds more like a hard drive about to fail. The system is however working fine despite the noise. I need to open up the DVR to investigate, but before I do, and the problem is the hard drive, how easy is it to replace the hard drive? I have the manual for the system, and it talks about installing a hard drive (this must have been done by the original installer guys, not me), but nothing about replacing one. So, should it simply be a matter of swapping old for new? Do I have to format the new hard drive first? What's the largest size I can buy (the manual talks about a 500GB hard drive, so that might be max)?

Or does the hard drive contain software for the system to work? In which case I should clone the old hard drive to a new hard drive before it fails?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much,

Alicia.

Noise still persists. Anyone with any ideas? After a bit of reading around on this forum, I think only certain makes and models of hard drives will work too! Not sure how I'm going to find an old model except second hand on ebay!

Anyone with any suggestions, most welcome please!

Thanks,

Alicia.

the hard drive make will not matter any make will work the question becomes for how long. replacing is easy insert new drive go into the menu and format it and away you go. usually hard drives start to click when dieing.

if you unplug the hard drive and power on the unit is the noise still present?

Thank you SectorSecurity kindly for your reply. Yes I have checked and the noise is coming from the hard drive. But the system is still working. You said I can replace it with any make, but can it be any size too? The current hard drive is 250gb, but could I replace it with a 1gb one? Assuming I can find a 1gb hard drive in with IDE connector!

Thanks again!

Alicia.

Thank you SectorSecurity kindly for your reply. Yes I have checked and the noise is coming from the hard drive. But the system is still working. You said I can replace it with any make, but can it be any size too? The current hard drive is 250gb, but could I replace it with a 1gb one? Assuming I can find a 1gb hard drive in with IDE connector!

Thanks again!

Alicia.

1gb wont last long....Im guessin you mean 1TB

Thats and older AVTECH DVR and if the manual states 500GB max then i would exceed that, also the LV PSU are normally rated for the the max size HD

If its an IDE unit you will not get a new IDE HD as they have eben off market for a long time but what you can do is buy a normal SATA HD pref designed for AV use i.e. Segate SV35 etc and use and SATA to IDE convertor same as this - 228086_1.jpg

Thanks for the reply Neutech. Yes I meant 1TB not 1GB! Having regard to what you said, I'll think I'll stick to a 500GB model because that's probably the max on this old DVR.

Will let you know how I get on!

Thanks very much!

Alicia.