cachecreekcctv

Use laptop to check camera angles

Just wanted to know if anyone out there uses their laptop as monitor to check camera setup/angle right at the camera, instead of going back to monitor room each time a change is made? Basically, I would like to take my laptop out where the cameras are , and be able to change angles, etc. and see what is happening on my changes instantly. I have used capture cards in most of my PC's for years, but never in my laptop. I was just wondering if a cheap "tv tuner" card would work. Laptop is Dell, Pentium 3, 1.2Ghz, 40 GB HD. Cameras would have power to them, and all cabling already installed.

i use a 9" BW Monitor or a 13" Color TV ... with a UPS ..

as its a larger image and they are CRT's they get the best quality, the small LCDs arent good for focusing.

One thing ive learnt though is to always set up the camera at your location, Iris Pot, lens focus, everything .. or its a big hassle to do it when its up at the clients location .. especially since it can take a few trips when dealing with Day Night applications .. i just got stuck on one of those as the parts took a while to come and when they did the client wanted them installed right away .. kind of screwed myself there .. alot of extra unwarranted work.

anyway

Rory

ya he is right about the lcd's they are not good for focusing.

And rory to deal with night day issue. Get a #5 welders glass and place it in front of the lens and it makes it dark to the camera. So you can take care of the day and night, during the day. Saves alot of headache.

sounds good thanks, ill check on that tomorrow and let you know ..

I need to get one of those Focus sheets also, anyone have a link?

Im going to make it a point to set up all the cameras at my place first .. no excuses .. cause at the location is taking up too much time ..

on another subject, what do you guys use to clean lenses?

I need something i can maybe buy from a local camera store, but are they the same thing .. i guess so right??

Rory

oh got a good cheap thing for that rory. Go to walmart and they sell a glasses cleaner with a wipe cloth. its green cloth. Dont use the cleaner just the cloth. It works great. Cost about 2 dollars. if the lens is real dirty then spray the cleaner on the cloth. Wipe the lense. Then use ANOTHER cloth to wipe it dry. If you use the same cloth you will get streaks real bad.

I know what you mean, and ill check it out with the local eyesight company ..

but hey, we aint got no walmart here

I should probably take a visit to the local camera store and really see what they have going on also The only one is down on bay street, the tourist area .. but i guess i can make it there for a change ,, check out the tourists

I normally do the camera "check out" before I leave the shop, focus, etc. Have been bitten before, by showing up and going through all the motion, then to have to spend too much time on each camera afterwards. Most businesses will use normal monitor (TV) in a "working" room, or many will have their monitor in a storage room (sometimes a very small office). After camera replacement, I end up walking back and forth to adjust angle, etc. I guess the cheap TV sounds like the best option. About that "focus ring", is there a link to a web page that I can print out, anyone?

For the "lens cleaning" type (read: "not fluffy"), almost all of them have worked the same for me. Just pick one up anywhere you find it. If you're cleaning lenses, your best bet is to get an Ilford Antistaticum cloth. These are typically available at professional camera shops as well as onlne. They're soft, made for cleaning lenses and photographic paper/negatives, and add an anti-static property to your lens without the chemical residue). Here's a link to some I found:

http://www.pictureline.com/product.php?id=1700

PS - Don't wash these as you will remove the anti-static chemical from the cloth. Once you wash it, just use it like a regular cloth (for something else). Also, don't wet them or use them with other chemicals. If you're lens is really that dirty, you probably need a new one anyway!

The way I read your post I was thinking maybe you were asking about using remote software on your Laptop to access your DVR, to then display the camera shots, so you could focus the cameras.

I do this for general camera angles, but still have to use a spot monitor for the best results.

Anway, I probably read the post wrong, but that was my impression.

I just order one of those external USB TV tuner capture devices.

I didn’t plan on using it for that purpose, but you could always try it. It wouldn’t be any worse than a regular LCD display.

Might be worth a try if the TV tuner card doesn’t cost you much.