jdoggg1

IR Light Strip for IP Nightvision?

Mostly thinking of just angling them at a fairly downward angle (so 45 degree angle or lower) and then adjusting mounting height, the camera's we have are not particularly crash hot at night as their built in IR is somewhat like a spotlight.

I gotcha, I live in a really rural area. I don't have cams setup, but I fear the IR will attract swarms of bugs. Any experience with this? I thought I could maybe put these strips somewhere away from the house so if the bugs are going to swarm, they swarm away from the house...

I gotcha, I live in a really rural area. I don't have cams setup, but I fear the IR will attract swarms of bugs. Any experience with this? I thought I could maybe put these strips somewhere away from the house so if the bugs are going to swarm, they swarm away from the house...

oh the Bugs LOVE the IR, or atleast the 850nm stuff they do, will see how it looks with the 940... keep in mind bugs eye's are far more sensitive to a wider range of light than ours are, so chances are they get attracted to it like any other light.

my theory on IR is just keep the IR a few meters away from the camera (atleast) and that way even if the IR gets coated in bugs it won't do too much to lower your image quality, unlike our current cam's that are near blind in the middle of the night due to the amount of webs!

Yeah that is what I am thinking, but these strips below the cams, with that V-groove pointing out away from house I like the sound of that...but even just the low-midrage quality IR strips are super expensive. This seems like a solid alternative if it works. Really excited to see how it performs.

Yeah that is what I am thinking, but these strips below the cams, with that V-groove pointing out away from house I like the sound of that...but even just the low-midrage quality IR strips are super expensive. This seems like a solid alternative if it works. Really excited to see how it performs.

it will be interesting as we have yards with camera's on both sides, so it will be quite hard to avoid a camera somewhere getting blinded, guess we'll see though, maybe they can just be pointed almost entirely straight down...

I see these strips as being perfect for around residential area's though, just have one aimed down to illuminate down the side of a house for example...

the pricing is a bit out there, will have to do some research on the quality of the surface mount LED's and brightness as well as lifespan, everyone seems to be using the SM5050's, there are plenty of other options including doing a double row, or increasing the density, Buellwinkle is also on the right path looking at strips with a tighter distribution angle (allow you to mount the strip further away.

Initial impressions....

These things get hot FAST! wonder how long they will last we got the IP65 versions so they are sealed in a Gel/Rubber compound

Initial impressions....

These things get hot FAST! wonder how long they will last we got the IP65 versions so they are sealed in a Gel/Rubber compound

Weird - LEDs shouldn't be getting hot in general, warm yes, but not hot . This sounds like an issues specific to the brand/manufacturer... heat = wasted energy...

Thanks for the updates, I'm really excited to see continued progress!

Which ones did you end up buying? Looking forward to some output pics!

The original link was 30 LEDs at 36W, or a little over 1W per LED, and yes, they'll get quite hot. The problem is that most flexible LED strips don't have good heatsinking, and I'd guess the encapsulation causes more heat buildup. It's not uncommon for high power LEDs to run at 120 degrees F or more, depending on the heatsink and ambient temp.

Heat's the #1 killer of LEDs, so it'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

Here's an article on this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_management_of_high-power_LEDs

It is highly necessary to keep the junction temperature below 120°C to run the LED's for maximum lifetime.

Note that's 120°C, which is 248°F, so even at 120°F you're still in a safe zone!

Edited by Guest

it's proving to be a mission to get everyone organised, will advise when I make progress.

latest is, I have a pair of 5 meter strips of timber that I've had a 45 degree bevel put in, now I'm getting them painted the same colour as the buildings they will be attached to (so they don't look like arse) and then we see how we go, still needs the last coat of paint so the 3m sticky backing on the LED's will hold (not sure how long for, but I'll give it it's best shot at holding.

The strips are now on the pine, just a case of the Elec's actually mounting them on the side of a building now

You're going to laugh...

the Elec connecting the LED's hooked them into the same circuit that the PoE switch runs of which powers the camera's in that area, and when he did so he smashed the switch (all the camera's hooked off it are now down)

So, from camera's further away the LED's produce a good amount of light, they probably need to be mounted higher than chest high though for a better spread

will let you know when I get this switch fixed and the camera that's viewing this area back up (seriously WTF)

Yeah seriously WTF. Every time I check into this thread to see what this looks like there's nothing to see. I'm not looking at this thread any longer. If you get some shots of how this is looking maybe start a new thread about it, cause this one is a cry wolf thread now.

hahaha I know.

fixed the camera now, should get reasonable pictures tonight, all else fails I'll post up what the other camera's see.

well, the Camera's don't really seem to even notice the LED's...

this is the camera pretty much directly above them, keep in mind it's probably getting washed out a a bit by the light coming out the doorway, things might improve over the weekend (it's not looking good though)

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/OnClose_zpse1b46cd4.png

and this is showing that they are actually on, the two strips are the ones at the top left of the screen.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t370/mgoodwinmr2/OnOpposite_zpsbc12eb4f.png

not sure what to make of it, they are just not that bright

Are these the covert 940nm ones? or did you also get the 850nm?

looking from the Camera that can see both strips(picture link ending with B4F) actually glowing, the 940nm is on the left, the 840nm on the right